Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Freestyle
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:44 PM   #1
shankster
AF Newbie

Just bought a used 05 Limited w/21k miles

First impressions of the vehicle are:

Very solid almost sporty handler, far superior to our Windstar. The cushy ride of the Windstar might be superior for a long trip though. I think the firm damping and BMW style (hard) seats of the Freestyle might be a pain in the rear after 500 miles but I prefer it that way.

Still getting used to the CVT but it works well.

The little V6 is definitely hard pressed to pull the vehicle around at altitude (6500ft)

Very roomy and versatile. The 3rd row seats are very roomy for this class and the "theatre seating" is a nice feature.

Gas mileage has been a little disappointing but it may just be that we've never had a car that tells us the mpg like this one does. I averaged about 22mpg on a long trip doing 70 to 75 in hilly terrain. Reseting the computer and going 60 to 65 on the flat got me a very respectable 28 mpg for a 20 mile stint. Around town we're getting about 16 mpg (that's my wife driving - bet I could do better by a couple of mpg)

Factory 18" tires are very noisy with 20k miles on them. A set of Hankook snowtires I had put on are actually quieter.

Middle row seat latches are VERY stiff and hard to operate - my kids can't do it. The new one we test drove a couple of years ago worked like butter - is this a common problem after a couple of years?? I'll be taking it in to see if they fix it under warranty.

We still haven't figured out the climate control system - not real intuitive.

Kids love the DVD.

My wife is getting plenty of questions about the vehicle - nobody knows what it is but everyone seems to admire the handsome styling.

Overall we're very happy with the purchase. For $18.2k we got a very under-rated luxurious vehicle that stands out from the crowd. Hope it's reliable!
shankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
rivguy
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to rivguy
Re: Just bought a used 05 Limited w/21k miles

do yourself a favor and have an alignment check done to make sure the updated specs are being used to save the tires.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #3
shankster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivguy
do yourself a favor and have an alignment check done to make sure the updated specs are being used to save the tires.
Too late! (for the factory tires anyway). There was some very uneven wear on two of the tires (they'd been rotated so not sure where they'd started off) when I bought it. I asked the dealer to check alignment and they said it "looked good" - I have my doubts that they even checked it. Do you know what the new specs are? Do you know if camber is adjustable (front? rear?) or is it just front toe?

I do my own alignments on my autocross cars so hopefully can fix the Freestyle up if I know the specs.

My snowtires look fine but I only put a couple of thousand miles on them over the winter.

Update on gas mileage - we're getting exactly 26 mpg now on long trips so quite happy.

Other developments - car went into "safe mode" couple of months ago - dealer replaced ignition module under warranty. Apparently there is a service bulletin from Ford on the subject.

Also backup sensors failed, again ford had issued a service bulletin on the subject and fixed under warranty.

Still enjoying the car but wish the warranty was longer...........

Thanks for the heads up on the alignment

Robert
Old 07-27-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
rivguy
AF Regular

Alignment Specifications Item LH RH Total/Split
Front
Camber — Freestyle, FWD -0.28° ± 0.75° -0.28° ± 0.75° 0° ± 0.75°
Camber — Freestyle, AWD -0.32° ± 0.75° -0.32° ± 0.75° 0° ± 0.75°
Camber — Five Hundred/Montego, FWD -0.60° ± 0.75° -0.60° ± 0.75° 0° ± 0.75°
Camber — Five Hundred/Montego, AWD -0.40° ± 0.75° -0.40° ± 0.75° 0° ± 0.75°
Caster — Freestyle, FWD 3.1° ± 0.75° 3.1° ± 0.75° 0° ± 0.75°
Caster — Freestyle, AWD 3.0° ± 0.75° 3.0° ± 0.75° 0° ± 0.75°
Caster — Five Hundred/Montego, FWD 3.3° ± 0.75° 3.3° ± 0.75° 0° ± 0.75°
Caster — Five Hundred/Montego, AWD 3.5° ± 0.75° 3.5° ± 0.75° 0° ± 0.75°
Toe (positive value is toe-in, negative value is toe-out), All Vehicles — — +0.20° ± 0.20°
Rear
Camber — Freestyle, FWD -0.57° ± 0.75° -0.57° ± 0.75° —
Camber — Freestyle, AWD -0° ± 0.75° -0° ± 0.75° —
Camber — Five Hundred/Montego, FWD -0.35° ± 0.75° -0.35° ± 0.75° —
Camber — Five Hundred/Montego, AWD -0.70° ± 0.75° -0.70° ± 0.75° —
Toe (positive value is toe-in, negative value is toe-out), All Vehicles 0.05° ± 0.20° 0.05° ± 0.20° 0.10° ± 0.20°
Thrust Angle, All Vehicles — — 0.0° ± 0.30°

FORD: 2005-2007 Freestyle

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2007 Freestyle vehicles equipped with Pirelli P225/60R18 tires may exhibit signs of shoulder (toe) wear on the inside edge of the front tires in 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or less.

ACTION:
It may be necessary to adjust alignment, rotate tires, and/or replace tires. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: THE REVISED TOE SETTING IN THIS TSB APPLIES ONLY TO THE TSB RELATED TIRE WEAR CONCERNS AND SHOULD NOT BE USED AS A REVISED SETTING FOR VEHICLES THAT ARE NOT SPECIFICALLY ADDRESSED IN THIS TSB.

NOTE: REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 204-00 FOR ALIGNMENT PROCEDURES. REFER TO THE WARRANTY AND POLICY MANUAL FOR TIRE AND ALIGNMENT REIMBURSEMENT COVERAGE. WHEN SUBMITTING A WARRANTY CLAIM, DOCUMENT TIRE TREAD DEPTH MEASUREMENTS AND BEFORE/AFTER TOTAL TOE READINGS.

Visually inspect the tires to determine if shoulder (toe) wear exists (Figure 1). Measure the tread depth of each rib and compare it to the inside shoulder (Figure 2). If tread depth of the inside shoulder is worn more than 1/2 of the tread depth of other ribs, the tires are exhibiting inside shoulder (toe) wear.

Figure 1 - Article 06-15-4

Figure 2 - Article 06-15-4

If shoulder wear is found, follow either Step a or b.
If inside shoulder ribs are worn to 5/32" (4 mm) or less, replace tires and set the front total toe to 0.20° and rear total toe to 0.10°.
If tires are showing early signs of inside shoulder wear but have tread depth of 6/32" (5 mm) or higher, rotate the tires (front tires go to the rear position; no criss-crossing). Set the front total toe to 0.35° and rear total toe to 0.10°.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
061504A 2005-2007 Freestyle: Inspect, And Rotate Tires, Then Check And Adjust Toe (Do Not Use With 1007A, 1007D, 1007D3, 1015D, 3001A, 3001A1, 3001A6) 1.2 Hrs.
061504B 2005-2007 Freestyle: Inspect Tires, Replace And Balance Two Tires, Check And Adjust Toe (Do Not Use With 1007A, 1007D, 1007D3, 1015D, 3001A, 3001A1, 3001A6) 1.5 Hrs.
061504C 2005-2007 Freestyle: Inspect Tires, Replace And Balance Four Tires, Check And Adjust Toe (Do Not Use With 1007A, 1007D, 1007D3, 1015D, 3001A, 3001A1, 3001A6) 1.8 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
FRONT w6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2006 Ford Motor Company
Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
shankster
AF Newbie

Hmmm! interesting. I don't suppose I'd get a new set of tires at 25K miles under warranty would I? I have the 18" Pirellis showing these exact symptoms.

Do you know exactly what:

"WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage"

means?

Thanks for the info - really appreciated
Robert
Old 07-30-2007, 06:44 AM   #6
rivguy
AF Regular

not all dealers will replace the tires - it is up to them - the dealership I work at DOES replace the tires 3yrs/36,000miles on these vehicles - prior aproval per ford is needed for some dealers but is available if they will take the time to call.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
shankster
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivguy
not all dealers will replace the tires - it is up to them - the dealership I work at DOES replace the tires 3yrs/36,000miles on these vehicles - prior aproval per ford is needed for some dealers but is available if they will take the time to call.
I take my car in to the dealer tomorrow. It now has over 30k on it. I've read where dealers will refuse to replace the tires if the car has over 15k miles. The wording in the TSB is unclear - unlear enough that a dealer could weasel out if he doesn't want to replace the tires. I'm not optomistic but it's worth a shot. Will report back.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
shankster
AF Newbie

As I suspected - the Dealer (New Country Auto Center, Durango, CO) refused to even align the car under warranty let alone give me some new tires. They said the TSB only applies up to 15,000 miles. I emailed Ford about it and asked for clarification. Any suggestions as to what I do at this point?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Freestyle