Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 03:32 AM   #1
Grandamshutoff
AF Newbie

Grand Am Shuts off for No Reason while driving....

First of all... Hi everyone
Heres the thing, and here is what i have researched, I have seen many people have actually had this problem, No one has really gave a real reason to what is wrong with it.... I have seen some suggest the Fuel pump, I saw one guy said he replaced his Hall sensor and worked perfectly?? ( how much and any instructions to put one in or where to get one?), I took it to a mech place, They hooked it up to the comp and it showed nothing was wrong with the car.... ALSO, I read other people's problem with this is that they took it to the dealership 3-5 times and they could never find a problem with the computer, Some people say its the theft codes and wiring... I have no clue.... PLEASE HELP...

Please help. When driving down the road my 2000 grand am gt will cut off for no apparent reason. It is very dangerous and after it shuts down it takes at least 20 mins. to start up again. This is exactly what happens: the car will shut off, (but the radio, lights, and everything will still work), yet the steering wheel locks up and gas peddle will not work. It makes steering very hard to turn and will not work until I wait 20 mins. First, we thought it was the battery, yet we hooked it up to cables and it still did not start. I am completely clueless, but i have a lot of educated guesses..... 1. My car's computer is all messed up... 2. My fuel pump is completely out(and fuel injector?)... 3. My alternator (that's my last guess since when the car runs it should be working alt. Please help me if you can, I have a 2000 Grand Am GT 2 door Car, V-6 3.4 Liter Automatic engine.. If anyone knows anything to help, Please instant Message me at
Teddy beer 2005 or
e-mail me at Chunkeemunkee74@aol.com

Thanks so much!!!!
Grandamshutoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Re: Grand Am Shuts off for No Reason while driving....

When this happens does the security light come on? If it does you have a problem with the pass-lock system and need to get it repaired. If the security light does not come on you need to replace the crank position sensor (Hall) sensor. When these go bad they will often cause the problem you indicate and it appears to be a very common problem on GM engines. When the CPS goes bad it may or may not throw a code to the computer.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Madcat455
AF Regular

YEP.. what he said.

I've had a Transport and just now with my Sunbird... exact problem you're describing. Replaced the CPS (hall) and they were fine.

Transport never threw a code to the computer(boy did that have me scratching my head for a while...lol) ... I got lucky with my sunbird as it did trigger the ECM.
Madcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
Grandamshutoff
AF Newbie

Thanks, Where can i find a CPS (hall sensor), Any store? (autozone, etc..??) Is it easy to install??? Does anyone have instructions to installing??

Thanks so much, yall have been great!
Old 09-25-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

I find it odd that people who use the "Security" feature have all kinds of trouble with their cars just, dying or not starting at all. Most GMs I see dont have this feature enabled and they don't have any "electrical" problems with their car just dying or not starting. I think the systems faulty.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Madcat455
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandamshutoff
Thanks, Where can i find a CPS (hall sensor), Any store? (autozone, etc..??) Is it easy to install??? Does anyone have instructions to installing??

Thanks so much, yall have been great!
Autoparts stores should be able to get it for you, if they don't already have it in stock.

Installation varies depending on your engine... for instance... the Transport with the 3800 had to be a mechanic deal because it needed a special tool to set it properly (right clearances)... but my sunbird just bolted into the block with no adjustment.

Best to get a Haynes manuel and look for the replacement instructions in there. That will give you an idea of how involved it really is. FYI... mechanic charged me $500 including part for the transprot.... Sensor for the sunbird ran me $73 and about 4hrs of time to install it (mostly spent just trying to find the darn thing...LOL)
Old 09-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
Grandamshutoff
AF Newbie

Ok, in simple terms.....

How much does a Hall Sensor Cost???? (CPS)
----for a 2000 Grand am gt w/ 3.4 L Automatic engine?

Also, How do i Disable the security on the car?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:22 PM   #8
Madcat455
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandamshutoff
Ok, in simple terms.....

How much does a Hall Sensor Cost???? (CPS)
----for a 2000 Grand am gt w/ 3.4 L Automatic engine?

Also, How do i Disable the security on the car?
I've heard that disabling the Security on the newer (99+) GA's is tricky.... I don't know my self.

and "in simple terms"... There is absoultly NO WAY to exactly tell you what a CPS will cost... for the part or labor.. as all vary depening on your location and what auto supply chains you have there(even national auto supply chains charge different prices in different areas). Different mechanics will have different rates for labor as well... so if you want to know what it will cost to DIY or have it done... Pick up the phone and start calling around to your local shops and parts stores. Then you'll know EXACTLY what it'll run.

I was giving you a ball park.

Good Luck...
Old 09-25-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Grandamshutoff
AF Newbie

Lol k, thanks

also i did not want to start calling around if that is not 100% sure what is wrong with my car....

It's not the fuel pump??
It is the Hall sensor??

does anyone know for exact sure or have a Really really good idea??

I don't need labor costs, Does anyone not know how to install it themselves, Is it that hard?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:52 PM   #10
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

As I stated in my earlier post I have a really good idea that this is your problem if the security light did not come on when this happened.

The sensor costs somewhere between $30 and $40 at Advance Auto Parts. It is mounted to the front of the engine but I am not certain if you need to remove the harmonic balancer on the 3.4 to get to it. This is not a hard job if you have the tools but if you don't have someone change it for you.

I would have the cps changed first to see what happens since it is a lot cheaper than a fuel pump. To replace the fuel pump. The fuel pump costs around $300 and will cost another couple hundred for labor.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:01 PM   #11
Grandamshutoff
AF Newbie

Indeed.....

Yall are definately getting ripped on prices

I found a CPS for 17$.....
Thanks everyone I will install this as soon as i can and let everyone know,
Thanks,
I hope it is not the Fuel pump

(i just dont see how a 17$ part can keep my car turning off while trying to drive it and locking up my steering wheel etc.. etc..)
Old 09-25-2005, 03:51 PM   #12
Grandamshutoff
AF Newbie

Is the Hall sensor and (CPS/CKS) The same thing

I know it has diff names

I just picked up a (CPS/CKS)
Does anyone have full instructions where to install into a 3.4 L Ram air 2000 Grand am GT, I think i have somewhat instructions and know where to do but can anyone put it into simple terms

The Mech said its usually around a 20 min or less job,

Any help on this???
Old 09-25-2005, 10:32 PM   #13
one_red_GTO
AF Newbie

Exclamation

I had to replace the passlock system in my 2000 Grand AM SE about a month ago. I only had the problem where it turned over and the security light flashed and you had to turn the key to the on position without the engine running for ten minutes. Only then would it start up. I heard that this problem would happen while driving and got it fixed, mainly because my family uses this car as well. It cost about four-hundred dollars to fix, even that would cost less than an accident or funeral, god forbid. I feel that should have been a recall. Does anyone know if it was?
one_red_GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:47 AM   #14
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

The crank position sensor and the Hall sensor are the same thing. It reads crank position and sends a signal to the computer. The computer in turn tells the ignition when to fire. If this does not happen at the correct time the engine will stall.

Unfortunately, I am at work and don't have my manual with me at the present time or I would try to give you directions on how to change it.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:21 AM   #15
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Grandamshutoff the 4cyl uses a 7X CPS and the V6 uses what they call a 24X CPS. I have no idea what the X means though, its irrelevant.

THe CPS is located behind the crankshaft pully(harmonic ballancer). You can test the CPS, you need a probe light and a voltage meter.

Here goes just for kicks, back probe the LIGHT BLUE/Black wire terminal of the CPS, connect the positive lead of the volt meter to the probe and the negative lead to a good engine ground. Turn the key ON, the meter should show 10 Volts. Now Rotate the engine SLOWly using a breaker bar and a socket attached to the crankshafts pullies center bolt. If you remove some spark plugs it will be easier to rotate. While rotating the engine Slowly, check the volt meter it should fluctuate between 10-0 volts. If the test shows the voltages arent right then replace the CPS.

To remove the CPS, remove the belt, raise the vehicle and support it. Remove the bolt and sensor wiring harness retaining bracket. Remove CPS mounting bolts, remove the sensor and pull out the wiring harness, remember where the harness is routed on here. Thats it, pretty easy on the V6. Heres a pic of the CPS on the V6 .

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM