Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:21 AM   #1
Scootinz
AF Newbie

Anyone ditch the shocks and go to gas shocks? Suggestions?

2002 Pontiac Montana I bought it with a103K. did shocks and sttuts at 130k, Has 240k now. Now I'm fairly certain the compressor is shot. rear end is sagging so I finally got under it found a bad hose figured that was my problem cuz I can hear the pump run. Replace the 7/32 line that was bad but still nothing. I'm assuming we're the 2 lines come out of the pump and connects to the 3-way "T" I should be feeling air coming out of that compressor at that T? Anyone know? I get nothing. But the compressor does turn on and off when moving the lever. Just doesn't seem like it's pumping any air? Any way to test this? Don't want to put a lot of money in this thing I don't know how long it's going to live. If the compressor is shot, any suggestions on a decent yet economical pair of gas shocks for the rear? I use it for a work truck. Seat came out the day I bought it and pretty much have never been in since except the occasional use with friends but it's gotten so tired even my wife doesn't want to ride in it anymore lol
I don't overload it, but it will get maybe 500 pounds in it at times. the van is all wheel drive and extended if that matters. Love this thing can't get rid of it even though its rotting out so bad the rockers are completely gone and it is very nerve-wracking even putting the thing on a lift. I'm going to milk it till it dies. Runs beautiful so I just can't part with it. Love it in the winter, and for the last three winners I keep saying if I get one more winter out of it I'd be happy. I'm finally breaking down and putting a little money into it. Needs tires, power steering pump is howling, just rebuilt the wiper transmission but everything still works on it so I'm going to keep her going but I'm tired of it riding like a brick... I need some rear suspension.

Thanks for any advice on testing the compressor or a good set of gas shocks and just ditch that stupid thing.
Scootinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Anyone ditch the shocks and go to gas shocks? Suggestions?

If the air shocks are ok, you can just get a kit that eliminates the compressor......it's basically a tire valve that goes into a tee that feeds the lines to the air shocks.......then you just attach any portable tire compressor to the valve and adjust your height......if you load up the truck.....add more air...when unloaded, just depress the valve to get to the proper height....easy peasy lemon squeezy....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
Scootinz
AF Newbie

Thanks Tech II, that's not a bad idea. So basically I just need a tire valve and a T? I'm not sure if the socks are ok or not. I did replace them back a ways and I do hear the pump running but when I disconnect the T coming from the two lines right from the diaphragm I don't feel anything pumping so I'm assuming it's shot. Anyone know what line out of the pump is supposed to be pumping up the shocks? Is it supposed to be coming from both 7/32 lines from the edge of the diaphragm? If so I get nothing out of either one of those going to the "T"
Scootinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #4
Walter69
AF Newbie

Put KYB Gas Matics on mine and works great!! Just disconnected airlines and set level sensor to not trigger air pump. Feels great!
Walter69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:24 AM   #5
sergeimoskva
AF Newbie

Hi! I hope - this will help you
sergeimoskva is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6