Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
essikr
AF Regular

help with alarm system

I have posted before for help in disarming the alarm system on my 91 sse.My attempts have failed ,the things I've tried shut down the starting system as well.
I need to be able to lock and unlock with the key. Is there a simple way to disarm the factory alarm system ?
essikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: help with alarm system

I have posted before for help in disarming the alarm system on my 91 sse.My attempts have failed ,the things I've tried shut down the starting system as well.

Well, not sure what you mean.....I believe your car has CTD and VTD....you want to disable both?

I need to be able to lock and unlock with the key. Is there a simple way to disarm the factory alarm system ?

Lock and unlock with the key? Not sure what you mean by that? Do you have a working remote control key fob?

VTD has to do with starting your car......there is nothing you can do about that....all you can do is bypass the system.....it doesn't turn it off, it just means a thief can now start the car without a key by busting your lock cylinder....by bypassing, I mean, you insert a resistor equal to the one on your key, into the circuit in your steering column....this eliminates a no start if that wiring in the column ever breaks....

CTD is protection for your interior of the car.....for example, if someone were to break your window while the system was armed, and then opens the door, an alarm would go off......I think this can be turned off under your "personalization" options.....you would have to check your owner's manual....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
essikr
AF Regular

The remote keyfob only works part time. I have replaced both the transmitter and the receiver for the remote door locks.It will work for a while then quit.Sometimes it will start working again. I can't rely on it,if it doesn't work when the doors are locked opening the door with the key sets off the alarm.Putting the key in the ignition will not shut it off and the key will not start the car. I have to disconnect the battery to stop it. I don't believe the system I have has a chip in the key.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Your ignition key does not have a black pellet in it? That is PassKey I....

Try this......before getting out, lock all the doors with the door lock switch.....now manually unlock the driver's door.....get out and close door....lock door with the key.....Wait one minute, now unlock the door with the key....does the alarm still go off?

If that doesn't work, then try manually locking the other three doors....then get out, and lock the driver's door with the key.......wait a minute and then unlock with key....does alarm sound?

Did you ever check the "Personalization" section of your owner's manual, to check if you could disable CTD?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
essikr
AF Regular

I tried looking the doors with the lock switch and manually unlocked the drivers door .I tried locking the door with the key but it was hard to turn.When I opened the driver door the alarm went off ,had to pull battery cable .I did not finish the rest of the test. It appears that if I lock the other doors and leave the drivers door unlocked the alarm will go off if you open the door.
If I could just get the remote to lock and unlock the door's.Just the other day I was driving down the road and tried the remote and it worked about ten times. When I got to where I was going it wouldn't work.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
essikr
AF Regular

OK ,I give up on the alarm system . Can I assume that the keyless remote door lock system is separate from the alarm system. If so I have not seen any wiring diagrams showing the receiver and wiring to it. It has worked on rare occasions without doing anything to it. I would sure like to see a trouble shooting chart and wiring for it. With the remote working I could at least lock the car again.Thanks

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville