Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 AM   #1
jwcar338
AF Newbie

2002 ssei radio replace

I bought a radio from a junk yard out of a 2001 bonnieville I replaced my old broken one in my 2002 ssei it powered up then the anti theft light comes on and the radio shuts down. how do I make the radio work in my car or do I take it back to junk yard
jwcar338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2002 ssei radio replace

Unfortunately, before 2000-2001, most radios had TheftLock, and you needed a code to unlock them.......if you knew the code, no problem.....if you knew how to access it, you could call it in.....

After 2000-2001, you need to go to a dealer, who will attach their Tech II scan tool, to basically unlock the radio....can't use a code anymore.....and with the newer models, you can't even transfer a radio with the scan tool, because the VIN number is programmed into the radio, and if you transfer it, the other modules won't communicate with it because of the different VIN number....

You will be charged to unlock that radio with the scan tool.....then might find the radio is not good....if you are a "steady" customer at a GM shop, they will usually do it for free....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville