Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Aztek
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
janandkyle
AF Newbie

Exclamation Coolant

Hi everyone i have just purchased an 01 for real cheap because it gets coolant in the oil, and has a leaking radiator. is there any way to tell if its coming from the intake gasket rather than the head gasket? the car runs great...im willing/able to tear down to intake gaskets for visual inspection and go on to the heads if necessary, just don't want to replace intake gasket only to find out i gotta replac'em again along with head gaskets, i also hate to pull both heads if only one is bad but i guess that cant be helped lol
thanks in advance
Kyle
Old 08-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: Coolant

I would consider www.steelseal.com ,see Google ''Youtube Auto steel seal''
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janandkyle View Post
Hi everyone i have just purchased an 01 for real cheap because it gets coolant in the oil, and has a leaking radiator. is there any way to tell if its coming from the intake gasket rather than the head gasket? the car runs great...im willing/able to tear down to intake gaskets for visual inspection and go on to the heads if necessary, just don't want to replace intake gasket only to find out i gotta replac'em again along with head gaskets, i also hate to pull both heads if only one is bad but i guess that cant be helped lol
thanks in advance
Kyle
do a comp test on both heads and see witch one on the head gasket or ceacked head you'll no witch one after that and look at plugs see if wet by antifrezze also.

good luck........
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Yeah, have seen them done all over again because it was also a head gasket.....

On these vehicles, if it is a head gasket, it's usually cylinder #1, on the rear head.....

I would get the engine warm......since engine seems to run fine, don't think a compression test will show you anything.....now safely remove the radiator cap, and do an overnight coolant pressure test(since that radiator is leaking, it will have to be replaced first)......then the next morning, remove the plugs and disable fuel and spark, and have someone crank over the vehicle.....especiallly watch number 1 cylinder for coolant.....

If it was me, and the rear head or gasket was leaking, I would still do the front one too...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
janandkyle
AF Newbie

Yeah, i checked compression when i first got it, all cyls were about the same so that told me nothing, i went ahead and ordered both head gaskets and the intake kit now the question is how much of a biotch its gonna be to get at the back one?? looks like rolling the engine forward at the very least!! Also i just got a new a/c condenser to install when the rad gets here, anyone know roughly how much oil i should put back in after i install it and vaccum the system? By the way thanks everyone for the replies!!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
janandkyle
AF Newbie

hi guys, quick follow up, changed lim gasket and all is well!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
I would consider www.steelseal.com ,see Google ''Youtube Auto steel seal''

Sounds like snake oil. Have you personally ever used this stuff? I don't mean a friend of a friend who has a cousin who used it.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote