Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
venturenot
AF Regular

HOAT or OAT Coolant for 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan ?

How do I know if I have OAT or HOAT coolant in my van? I purchased the van used and the color of the coolant intially looks orange but if you take a sample it is actually pinkish, but definitely not the mopar purple. I understand there are bad consequences of mixing HOAT with OAT is there any way of telling what is in the van?

The manual recommends: Maintain engine coolant (antifreeze) concentration at a
minimum of 50% OAT coolant (conforming to MS-12106)
and distilled water for proper corrosion protection of
your engine which contains aluminum components.

Is there a good after market coolant that will conform to these requirements. The expansion bottle is a little low maybe I should just use some prestone?
venturenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
georgef61
AF Newbie

Re: HOAT or OAT Coolant for 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan ?

According to this Chrysler document (page 4): http://starparts.chrysler.com/newsle...r_Oct_2012.pdf, the factory fill for the 2013's was dark pink while the service coolant was purple. The following quote from the above document makes it sounds like adding the wrong coolant is a big no-no:

Quote:
That means if one of your technicians adds the wrong coolant type to a customer’s vehicle – it will be very expensive to resolve and may require replacing the engine
George
georgef61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
venturenot
AF Regular

Re: HOAT or OAT Coolant for 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan ?

It seems if you accidentally mix HOAT and OAT t will form a jelly which will destroy your engine and water pump. Also because you used the wrong coolant your warranty will be void.

Man, I wish I knew this before I bought the van. I would have never purchased it. There is no way of telling if some HOAT has been added. The Coolant looks orange until seen under light. The 2012's used orange HOATand now the 2013 use OAT which from the factory looks like the orange HOAT. If some tech makes a mistake and mixes the two say goodbye to your engine. To top things off the owners manual does not even give such a dire warning. There should caution stickers all over the radiator cap and refill bottle.

This is what owner's manual says:

This vehicle has not been designed for use with propylene glycol-based engine coolant (antifreeze). Use of propylene glycol-based engine coolant (antifreeze)
is not recommended. Adding Coolant Your vehicle has been built with an improved engine coolant (OAT coolant conforming to MS-12106) that allows
extended maintenance intervals. This engine coolant (antifreeze) can be used up to ten years or 150,000 miles(240,000 km) before replacement. To prevent reducing this extended maintenance period, it is important that you usethe same engine coolant (OAT coolant conforming toMS-12106) throughout the life of your vehicle. Please review these recommendations for using Organic Additive Technology (OAT) engine coolant (antifreeze) that meets the requirements of Chrysler Material StandardMS-12106. When adding engine coolant (antifreeze):
• We recommend using MOPAR® Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology) that meets the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-12106.
• Mix a minimum solution of 50% OAT engine coolant that meets the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard
MS-12106 and distilled water. Use higher concentrations (not to exceed 70%) if temperatures below −34° F (−37° C) are anticipated.
• Use only high purity water such as distilled or deionized water when mixing the water/engine coolant (antifreeze) solution. The use of lower quality water
will reduce the amount of corrosion protection in the engine cooling system.
venturenot is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager