Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 05:38 PM   #31
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: Passlock System

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopdancer
I have a 1997 Oldsmobile 88. It has the passkey II (key with resister in it)system on it. 3800 engine and auto transmition. The security light flashes and will not turn over. The battery has gone dead and will not take charge anymore. the shop did not tell me of any codes. they said they would have to install ignition module of some kind. will not be able to find out for sure until monday.
I think yours is a older system.
If the battery is dead or has gone dead. Put a new battery in it first.
Then if no start or security ligt is on.
Turn key on for 10-20-30 minutes and see if it will over ride and start.
Also pull codes and see what is going on. And post back any codes no.
Let us know how it goes.
MT
Old 01-29-2006, 12:48 AM   #32
raycorri
AF Regular

Here is a re-write of the GM upfitter bulletins ( http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull2wsA.pdf and http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull26.pdf ) so that we can more readily apply it to our cars! There is no need to add a remote starter.

PASSLOCK I or II DISABLEMENT

The following is a procedure to disable Passlock I or II Systems for vehicles in which remote start/stop system installations are required. This procedure is required because a remote start system will not function with the current Theft Deterrent System (Passlock) which is included on many 1996 and up GM vehicles.

Please note that this modification is intended to be used only in conjunction with the installation of a remote start/stop system and does not provide a procedure to install a remote start/stop system.

CAUSE
If an attempt is made to start a vehicle by a means other than a key rotation in the ignition switch, the Body Control Module (BCM) will interpret this start as a vehicle theft and disable the fuel injectors.

CORRECTION
A minor wiring modification may be made to allow the vehicle to be started remotely. This modification includes adding a switch to allow the customer to select “ON” to disable Passlock or “OFF” for normal Passlock operation.

CAUTION: When this modification is performed and the switch is set to the ON position, the theft deterrent feature will be disabled. When the theft deterrent is disabled the SECURITY or THEFT telltale will light up indicating that the theft deterrent system is NOT functioning.

PASSLOCK MODIFICATION
Refer to appropriate GM service manuals and/or SVMQP Electrical Guideline Manual for instruction on splicing and electrical connections.
1. Select a suitable on-off switch (see note below) which will be used to disable/
enable the Passlock System. Mount the switch in a location such that it is
accessible to the driver and will not interfere with normal vehicle operation.
NOTE: This is an extremely low current circuit (approx. 7mA), it is therefore very important that a high quality, low energy, fast acting switch be utilized
for this application.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
3. Locate the Main Ignition Switch Harness. GM's Passlock System wires exit the Ignition Switch Tumbler together and then join with the Main Ignition Switch Harness. (See http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/ or http://64.85.6.118/diagrams/diagrams.asp and select your Make, Model and Year for wire colors and clues on the quickest way to access these wires.)
4. Locate the Yellow Passlock Data Wire which is included in a bundle of three tiny (20 GA) wires wrapped in friction tape.
Cut this wire and splice a 0.5mm2 (20 GA) yellow wire to each end of the cut wire.
Keep wire length to a minimum. Route modification wires clear of moving parts.
Connect the yellow wires to the switch such that the contacts are OPEN when the switch is in the ON position.
5. Turn modification switch to the OFF postion (contacts closed).
6. Start vehicle to verify normal operation. If engine “cranks but will not start"
recheck the switch position (contacts should be closed), wire connectors and
modification wiring.

SWITCH OPERATION

To enable remote start:
Start the engine with the ignition key (modification switch must be in the OFF
position). Turn modification switch to the ON position (contacts open). The
SECURITY or THEFT telltale will light up indicating that the Passlock System is inoperative.

Once the SECURITY or THEFT telltale has been on for at least 5 seconds the vehicle can be turned off and then remotely started.

To disable remote start:
The Passlock System can be reactivated by turning the modification switch OFF
(contacts closed).
Vehicle can either be running or off when this is done.

Please note that the VCM/PCM will record Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) related to the security system when the modification switch is in the ON position (circuit open). This is due to the way that the VCM/PCM interprets this condition.

NOTICE
Any condition which removes battery power from the Vehicle Control Module/Powertrain Control Module (VCM/PCM) (e.g. dead battery, disconnected harness connectors, etc.) will prevent the vehicle from being restarted. If the engine exhibits a “cranks but will not start” symptom, place the modification switch in the OFF (contacts closed) position. This will reactivate the Passlock System and allow the vehicle to be started with the ignition key.

Ray

Proud Member of The Anti-Passlock Club

Last edited by raycorri; 02-26-2006 at 05:27 PM.
raycorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #33
rputnam
AF Newbie

Question Re: pass key security lock

I have a used 99 Astro Van purchase 3 years ago from a dealer without a pass key. The van will start and run but I always noticed the "Security" light come on. My problem is that if I turn the vehicle off it will not re-start until the passing of time. (I guess the 10-minutes I read so but about).

The yellow data wire trick did not work. I cut it will with the motor running and the light came on but would do re-start until I connected the wire and waited. Then it would.

It seems I will have to have the BCM replaced with new passkey and then disable the "feature". I would hate to trade it off to some other fellow as it has taken me 2 years to come across your thread with the obbious problem.

Any other ideas?
rputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:54 PM   #34
rputnam
AF Newbie

Looks like the 1st one did post....more details
Thanks to this thread a 2 year old '99 Astro Van mystery is solved. I noticed the "Security" light on sometimes but the van always started.

My problem is I never received the "Pass Key" when I purchased the vehicle used from a dealer, just hardware store type keys. The vehicle starts everyday unless I turn the vehicle off and try to re-start right away. It seems to be more of a problem the last year.

I tried the yellow data wire cut with the engine running and the security light off. The light came on as described but the van would not start. I reconnected the wire and let the 10 minutes pass and it started. I tried disconnectong and re-connecting as described but the light never goes off once it is on.

I guess I need to purchase a new system complete with pass key and then apply the fix. Any other ideas
rputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #35
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Guys, Passkey 1 and 2 systems can use regular keys. The Passkey 3 or 3+ systems can't. Inside the ignition on PK1,2 systems there are tiny magnets that operate the security system. Most of the time those wear out or move to where they won't activate the needed resitance for the BCM to read. The only way to fix that is to install a new decoder/ignition module or to use resistors in between the yellow and black or orange/black wires.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:35 PM   #36
reydemx
AF Newbie

how u doin guys, i have a 1998 v6 malibu 115,000 miles. I had the Theft System problem where you have to wait 10 minutes to start, it lasted about a week. Now the car wont start, well it stays on for a second and shuts off but this time the Theft System light does not come on. Do you guys think if i did the toggle switch solution it would work? thanks for the help
reydemx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #37
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

yes it could but you need to diagnose what's actually at fault.
Orion C63 Coax rear

Old 06-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #38
hassanr2000
AF Newbie

I’ve been reading up on how to disable the Passkey II alarm system (by cutting the yellow wire [data wire for Passlock system] and installing a toggle switch) but the information was for a Malibu and Oldsmobile. Does anyone know the wire color and its location for a 98 Buick Regal 3.8l. My car is like a reoccurring bad nightmare. It seems like every three weeks now the car just cut off on me while I’m driving, thank God for Triple A. Took it to the dealer, and low and behold they said the computer read code # 1626 (ignition cylinder) and suggested that I replace it for a cost of $545. The other 3 times that the car cut off on me, I had it towed to my mechanic who got the car started without replacing the ignition cylinder. This causes me to believe that the problem is the alarm system. Can anyone help
hassanr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #39
raycorri
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reydemx
Now the car wont start, well it stays on for a second and shuts off but this time the Theft System light does not come on. Do you guys think if i did the toggle switch solution it would work?
If you can't get your car to start, then the toggle switch will not help you. The car needs to be running when you put the switch in "disable" mode or "cut the data wire".

Ray
Old 06-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #40
raycorri
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassanr2000
I’ve been reading up on how to disable the Passkey II alarm system (by cutting the yellow wire [data wire for Passlock system] and installing a toggle switch) but the information was for a Malibu and Oldsmobile. Does anyone know the wire color and its location for a 98 Buick Regal 3.8l.
Does your key have a small chip in it? If I'm not mistaken, your car has Passkey/VATS technology, not Passlock technology. Here is the link for your wire colors. Click on Buick on the left and then select Regal.
http://64.85.6.118/diagrams/diagrams.asp

Here is a specific "how to" for VATS bypass.
http://vats.likeabigdog.com/

This new product is great and easy, but pricey if you have to buy the whole set. Maybe call the number listed to see if you can buy the specific one that you need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOCKS...QQcmdZViewItem

Ray
Old 06-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #41
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassanr2000
I’ve been reading up on how to disable the Passkey II alarm system (by cutting the yellow wire [data wire for Passlock system] and installing a toggle switch) but the information was for a Malibu and Oldsmobile. Does anyone know the wire color and its location for a 98 Buick Regal 3.8l. My car is like a reoccurring bad nightmare. It seems like every three weeks now the car just cut off on me while I’m driving, thank God for Triple A. Took it to the dealer, and low and behold they said the computer read code # 1626 (ignition cylinder) and suggested that I replace it for a cost of $545. The other 3 times that the car cut off on me, I had it towed to my mechanic who got the car started without replacing the ignition cylinder. This causes me to believe that the problem is the alarm system. Can anyone help

You may have code #1626 but your car shutting off while driving isn't a symptom of it. Once your car successfully starts, VATS or Passlock can't shut it back down. You have something else going on as well.
Orion C63 Coax rear

Old 06-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #42
MalibuBob
AF Newbie

Anyone know if this method works on an '05 Malibu LS?
MalibuBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:22 PM   #43
raycorri
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBob
Anyone know if this method works on an '05 Malibu LS?
2005 Malibu Classic-- Passlock 2---- Yes

2005 Malibu Maxx-- Passkey 3 Transponder-- No

Just remember, this can void your warranty!

Ray
Old 06-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #44
hassanr2000
AF Newbie

Well, I really don't know what is going on with that car. The car just stopped running again. The dealer said that it is the ignition control module and that it would cost $454. When the car cut off the other three previous times I 'm almost certain that my mechanic replaced the ignition control module (twice) and told me to take it to the dealer ther next time the car cut off because he don't know how to correct what is really wrong with the car. Can anyone offer any insight?
hassanr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:41 AM   #45
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Sorry, without having the car in my hands at the time it does it, I can't say what could the problem be. I had an older Caddy that would shut down if you went a constant 40-50 mph. Above or below that it would be fine. Ended up being a rotted battery cable.

When it comes to electronics, it can be a number of things being the culprit.
Orion C63 Coax rear

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu