Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 09:50 PM   #1
PsychopathicCj
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to PsychopathicCj
How long do you work on models?

I'm noticing alot of you have 2, 3 even 4 models going at once, and they all seem to be done with quickness. How often per day do you work on models? And how long does it usually take you to finish one? I find I barely have enough spare time where I actually feel like sitting down and building.

Widebody GT350 - 10% Done
Dodge Neon (1:25/1:1 Replica - With Flames!) - 5% Done
PsychopathicCj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:33 PM   #2
slimsi99
AF Newbie

Well it's been a while since I have worked on one, probably 4 years or so, and I know that I am new here. I can't speak for everyone here, because you know that everyone is different. Back in the day before I had a kid I would spend anywhere from an hour to 4 maybe five hours building, obviously taking a short break her and there. Now I would only be able to spend maybe an hour at a time. Remember the more time you spend prepping a car the better it will turn out. Some of these guys have probably been building for a long time so they have their preperation down pat. You will just have to create your own preperation and then some day you too will be able to fly through them as well. Preperation isn't everything though, you could spend just as much, if not more, time painting the body as you will buliding the rest of the car. It all depends on how detailed you want to get. Even though I haven't built a car in a while I still remembered my prep before primer, and it took me about an hour and a half, that is about typical if you do it the best way possible, but enough about what I do. Just remember go at a slow pace for now and you will eventually be able to fly through it like nothing. I have spent anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months building a car, it all depends on what your priorities are. Have fun, go slow and build great! By the way thank you for the pics on the neon the flames look good!
slimsi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:42 PM   #3
RyanGiorgio
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RyanGiorgio Send a message via MSN to RyanGiorgio
I take a very long time to build my models. I am a perfectionist, but I usually have a habit of rushing the ending phases. Thats why sometimes they dont come out as great as I'd like them to. I just recently completed my S13, and I am 100%+ satisfied with the end result. I took my time on every single aspect of the car, and it is by far my most meaningful model. It was also a great step in my modelling skills for a lot of the body work was scratchbuilt, and it was my first time using putty for major body work. So, I started this car in June, and I just finished it on christmas day (so thats 6 months ). I guess I didn't work on it as much as i should have, so that was probably what delayed me. From now on, I could probably make a model much faster and still be just as pleased with the result. I think I am going to take a short break from modelling for the rest of vacation, but then it is back to work.

05' Civic Si - Tokico D-Specs/Progress Springs/Progress Rear Sway/CorSport Endlinks/Ingalls Torque Dampner/Energy Suspension Motor Mounts/Falken Ziex/HFP Spoiler/RSX Rims
RyanGiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 12:56 AM   #4
Sebstar
AF Regular

Re: How long do you work on models?

takes me about 4 weeks on average. i only work on them when i feel like it, so i dont rush anything. usually though, the shell looks crap because i either rushed that, or just dont know wtf im doing. i spose every model i kinda spray twice, lol

In Progress:
Celica ST205 GT-Four: 10% Complete
Sebstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 01:00 AM   #5
Ferrari TR
Not A Hoarder!

Send a message via AIM to Ferrari TR
I'd say between 3 weeks and well, months...

Sometimes a project just comes together, and other times everything you do requires you change something else, and well, you have to count on delays when you order kits and wheels and parts from over-seas.

I never worry about how long it takes, but I do like to finish a car now and then. lol

Ferrari TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 01:20 AM   #6
PsychopathicCj
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to PsychopathicCj
Yea, it usually takes me a while, depending on what I'm doing. I have a 94 Mustang GT that has been sitting with the body painted (horribly) and the motor built for about 3 years I just never find motivation. Customization is my favorite part, once thats done I get bored with them. Such as my integra, I have the body 90% shaved (save for doors and lights ) and the interior put together, but I have no motivation to do the suspension, because theres not much to do there. Know what I mean? Of course the integra has only taken me a week to get this far, but now It'll be put away in a box while I customize another one. Oh well, it'll EVENTUALLY get done.

Widebody GT350 - 10% Done
Dodge Neon (1:25/1:1 Replica - With Flames!) - 5% Done
PsychopathicCj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 02:56 AM   #7
spoolin12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to spoolin12

depends with each car.

At the moment my models are taking around the 4 months mark....but thats becuase i just got out of hospital.....(Push bike crash) userly around 1 months though.

I will have more time now though.....

spoolin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 06:48 PM   #8
drumcat
AF Regular

i usually take 2-4 weeks on a model because i try to have a life in between building model cars
Old 12-27-2003, 07:30 PM   #9
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

I spend about 3-4 months on my good efforts, that translates to about 100 hours of work. However, when I am in the middle of a model and I feel mired in it, too deep to stop but the end isn't even in sight yet, I'll take a weekend and put one together just to have the satisfaction of completing something. Those are probably 10 hours of work. I do that because I don't have the resources to work on more than one serious kit at a time.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 09:23 PM   #10
ProSStreet
AF Enthusiast

im lucky if i get one finished in a year. I only work on one model at a time so i can devote all my time and energy into it.
ProSStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 10:28 PM   #11
D[X]P
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to D[X]P Send a message via AIM to D[X]P
If i work on it a lot it is usually between 3 to 5 weeks. if i do something without motivation(like my saleen which il be posting soon) it takes like 6 months.

for some models i have so much motivation and on others,after i bought them,dont even feel llike working on them
Old 12-27-2003, 11:32 PM   #12
snk33y

To me its all about momentum! when i get a roll on i can string together a few good models in a couple of months, this depends on things not going wrong or thing slowing me down. My last project which was my EVO III that took around 4 weeks and that was including a few set backs and minor problems but otherwise a smooth build, I have a Ferrari F310B which has been going on around 8 months this is due to a few disasters and paint dramas so when things arent going right i give it a bit of a break otherwise its self destructive and you get substandard results.

Recently I have been running to projects at once which i never used to do, i found that doing so keeps things fresh and doesnt gets you boged down on a single thing, last time i did that i burned out and took a 3 year break from doing models until recently I found this forum and has made me a better modeler,seeing the work of a lot of talented people here keeps my mind stimulated and pickup techniques that i would have never have practiced if i was just doing it on my own.

Ive also found that posting progress threads here makes making models a lot more fun since you are always getting input from people and keeps things in perspective.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:24 AM   #13
hobbes874
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hobbes874
When I'm in school then prolly 2 weeks, but when I'm on break (like now) I can finnish a model in about 1 week

All Newbies please read the F.A.Q's
"We are defined by the choices we make." -Fight Club
hobbes874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:42 AM   #14
EMAXX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EMAXX Send a message via MSN to EMAXX

I work on mine about an hour or so a day. Thats only when I dont' go to school. When I go to school. I only get about an hour on Saturdays. I have about 12 kits going right now too. I don't when I'm going to finish them all.