Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #31
frankendart
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to frankendart Send a message via Yahoo to frankendart
Re: Anyone with full size mopar vans out there??????

Hey Big dog, welcome aboard.
There use to be a couple of manufacturers who made headers and dual exhaust systems for vans. As I recall, Doug Thorely (Dougs Headers) used to make them, and so did Hooker. If memory serves, truck header s will work, but there was a clearence issue on the left (drivers) side. You had to remove the heat shield for the headers to fit.
Regarding the dual exhaust, most any good muffler shop can fab up an exhaust system for your van. You don't even have to install headers if yo udont't what to.
Enjoy!!!!

SUCK-SQUEEZE-BANG-BLOW!!!!
It's just how things work!

I own 4 Fords, 3 Chevies, 3 Saturns, 2 GMC's, and 2 Dodges... So tell me about your brand loyalty.
frankendart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:27 PM   #32
van1mopar
AF Newbie

hey everyone,
i just purchased a 1978 dodge b100 and its sweet.... i was wondering if anyone had some ideas or help to make this thing go fast but on a low budget ?? thanks
van1mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:09 PM   #33
frankendart
AF Enthusiast

Tell us about it. We need a lottle more info to help you out here.
Is it a 225, 318, or 360?
Which trans 904 or 727?
What rear axle 8 3/8, 8 3/4, 9 1/4, and what ratio?

And finally, what isyour defination of "fast". Tell us what your looking for, how much you plan to spend, and how you plan to use the van.

Thanks, and congrats on the new purchase!!!!

I own 4 Fords, 3 Chevies, 3 Saturns, 2 GMC's, and 2 Dodges... So tell me about your brand loyalty.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:54 PM   #34
van1mopar
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Anyone with full size mopar vans out there??????

well its got a 360 crate and a hemi 4 speed tranny and the rear end im not sure of the size but its the pumpkin style where u pull the gears out from the front and im not sure of the ratio i will have all this info in a couple of days its got 11:1 compression and when i mean fast i want it to haul ass like down the strip like i said ill have more info in a couple of days thanks again
Old 08-01-2004, 08:47 AM   #35
frankendart
AF Enthusiast

Well, a 360 crate should be about 380hp, and with some minor tuning and carb adjustment you should be looking at the 400hp mark without trying too hard. You say it's got a "Hemi" 4 speed? As I recall, that would be an 833 trans. certainly a tough gear box, the rear you described sounds like an 8 3/4". There shopuld be a tag on one of the bolts on the rear center section that will tell you the rear gear ratio. If it's not there, you can jack up the rear of the van, make a chalk mark on the driveshaft, and on the right rear tire. Have someone turn the tire one ful revolution, and count the number of times the drive shaft turns. That will give you a rough estimate of the rear gear ratio (for example, if the drive turns about 3 1/4 times to one tire revolution, you've probably got a 3.23:1 gear in there.

With a drive train like that, it would seem that two things are true: 1. It's not factory, someone built it, and 2. you better have a really good clutch!

Oh yeah, one more thing, it should be pretty damn fast already!!!

regarding up grades, I would recommend looking into opening up the exhaust with 2 5/8" or 2 7/8" headers, some FlowMasters, and maybe a 3" dual exhaust. Look into your cam grind, and check to see what size (CFM) carb you've got.
These are all things that will improve your performance without too many band-aides on your wallet.
LET US KNOW SOME OF THE OTHER DETAILS.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:00 PM   #36
van1mopar
AF Newbie

hey the rear end is either 8 3/4" or 9" the gear is a 4.63:1 its got hooker headers but im not sure of the size and its got 2.5" exhaust with hooker mufflers i dont kno the carb size i cant find the cam grind ur talking about the carb is holley and i was also wondering if anyone knew where to get a seat belt for the front passanger and maybe a back bench seat
Old 08-21-2004, 06:40 AM   #37
frankendart
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Anyone with full size mopar vans out there??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by van1mopar
hey the rear end is either 8 3/4" or 9" the gear is a 4.63:1 its got hooker headers but im not sure of the size and its got 2.5" exhaust with hooker mufflers i dont kno the carb size i cant find the cam grind ur talking about the carb is holley and i was also wondering if anyone knew where to get a seat belt for the front passanger and maybe a back bench seat
It would be an 8 3/4" rear. I know a guy who had a couple of rear bench seats from a 97 Ford E350 in his shop. They were gray cloth. I could find out if he's still got the, and how much he's asking for one of them, if you're interested.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:18 PM   #38
MeatVan83
AF Newbie

New to the forum

Sup guys.. just browsing the web trying to find info about the van i just bought... it's a 1987 Dodge RamVan 150. I purchsed it about a month ago. I haven't had time to take a good look at all of its parts, but I'll be sure to ask some advice from you guys when i get the chance.
MeatVan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 10:44 AM   #39
MeatVan83
AF Newbie

sorry for double posting, but i was curious if anyone new a site that i can find muscle car style rims for my van.. pretty much loking for solid rims you would find on a chevelle.. thanx again guys
MeatVan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:52 AM   #40
hurricane2
AF Newbie

I've got a 79 shorty. 500 hp 440, built 727, Comp Eng chromemoly rear axle with aluminum 9" housing, 4.29 gears. Shaved bumpers, door handles, body seams, rear doors. the front doors have been secioned, firewall has been smoothed, custom interior includes bed, fridge, and microwave with horseshoe bar. Cragar Superlite wheels 15 x 6 front, 15 x 14 rear. Good to see so many other van enthusiasts!
hurricane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:42 AM   #41
frankendart
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane2
I've got a 79 shorty. 500 hp 440, built 727, Comp Eng chromemoly rear axle with aluminum 9" housing, 4.29 gears. Shaved bumpers, door handles, body seams, rear doors. the front doors have been secioned, firewall has been smoothed, custom interior includes bed, fridge, and microwave with horseshoe bar. Cragar Superlite wheels 15 x 6 front, 15 x 14 rear. Good to see so many other van enthusiasts!

Wow! Post some pic's if you can!!!

Old 11-28-2004, 06:44 AM   #42
hurricane2
AF Newbie

Not sure how to post em on here.

You can check out my cardomain page at:
http:www.cardomain.com/id/hurricanewayne2

Oh, and that one post about the aerodynamics of the 70s vans is backwards. When they went to the new front in 79, the vans were 10% more aerodynamic.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:38 AM   #43
dtsol
AF Newbie

77 Tradesman

Just bought this one last Tuesday! (see gallery)

Please see my earlier post "Carburetors and California" for some questions on getting it purring.

It's a beauty, but I'm trying to get more info on it and the VIN number is a real puzzle.

Dan
dtsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:13 PM   #44
hurricane2
AF Newbie

What's up with the VIN tag? I can decode it for you.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:01 PM   #45
dtsol
AF Newbie

I got my VIN figured out-- the explanation was in the Chilton's guide.

Thanks for your comments on the carburetor--very helpful!

Dan
dtsol is offline   Reply With Quote