Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
arodriguez
AF Newbie

Unhappy BMW 323 oil pump - help

I have a 2000 323 with 71,000 miles. The oil light came on as I was coming home from work. I stopped and checked the oil,which didn't look low, but I put a quart in. In the morning, the light was still on and it was making a clattering noise, so I drove to the dealership. All driving after the light turned on was about 5 miles.

the dealership says my oil pump chain broke and it will cost $6000 to rebuild the engine or $8000 to buy a new engine. Could this possibly be true?? I have had no major issues with this 5 year old car. any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, AER
arodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
323imankiks
AF Regular

i did not know the oil pump has its own chain to drive . i thought the crankshaft makes all the stuff work Take it somewhere else dealers are riducules. get a second opinion
Old 02-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
crash8168
AF Enthusiast

the prices are inline with the cost of the engine. never drive a car with no oil pressure, have it towed.
crash8168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
meromance
AF Newbie

Re: BMW 323 oil pump - help

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodriguez
I have a 2000 323 with 71,000 miles. The oil light came on as I was coming home from work. I stopped and checked the oil,which didn't look low, but I put a quart in. In the morning, the light was still on and it was making a clattering noise, so I drove to the dealership. All driving after the light turned on was about 5 miles.

the dealership says my oil pump chain broke and it will cost $6000 to rebuild the engine or $8000 to buy a new engine. Could this possibly be true?? I have had no major issues with this 5 year old car. any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, AER
Try taking it to a mom and pop mechanic first before the dealer, the dealer usually marks up on the cost and see what they say first.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
venzon
AF Newbie

Re: BMW 323 oil pump - help

meromance,
I've noticed that you replied to several threads that are at least over 2 years old. I would guess that by this time, these people have already fixed their problems or no longer need an advice. Anyway, thank you for all your replies and welcome to the forum.
venzon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series