Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 09:20 AM   #16
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Could you tell me how long you could go on synthetic when you drive 99% highway, about 75 miles every day?
Old 04-28-2001, 08:22 PM   #17
Dillweed
AF Regular

That's not the point, I'm just kidding ya
Old 04-28-2001, 08:43 PM   #18
SeanMax
AF Newbie

I've used Mobil One in my 95 Maxima since about 15,000 miles, changing every 3000. Now have 82,000 on it and it runs smooth as silk, no tune ups except I changed plugs at 60,000 mi. The price difference with regular oil really isn't much of a factor if you think about how it compares with the other operating costs of a car. Changing it yourself also saves money.

I think waiting 25,000 miles for changes is way too long, and no car manufacturer would recommend that. And dirt builds up no matter how good the oil is.
SeanMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 11:09 PM   #19
Steve
AF Newbie

Sean, Hey neighbor. I live in Harrisburg.
Did you know that Porsche recommends 15,000 mile oil change interval using Mobile One? It seems a little odd that I can put 15,000 miles on Mobile One in an expensive Porsche and only 3,000 miles in my Chevy.
On the other hand I had a valve cover gasket leaking in my jeep. I cleaned the engine with a pressure washer and got some water in the oil. That required an immediate oil change. Oil and Air filters are important also. (As previously discussed.) Most of the dirt in the oil comes through the air filter. I don't use paper air and oil filters. I am going to have my oil analized after my next annual oil change in October. I will post the results to my web site. I would rather base my opinion on tests results than any thing else.
Dillweed, In my posts in stupid questions I actually talked about the differences of SHP and BHP. I also mentioned that I an an Instructor Pilot and fly CH47 Helicopters for a living. (7500 SHP) Synthetic oil is a hobby. I am a dealer so I can buy it at reduced cost. Last year I cleared 35 dollars (after taxes). WOW! Let's just say I'm not ready to give up flying for a living, but I do think synthetic oil is worth talking about and I enjoy our conversation.
I emailed Igor when I got started and was upfront about who I am and what I wanted to talk about. He asked me not to get "too comercial." I have been trying to keep the discusion generic.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 11:14 AM   #20
SeanMax
AF Newbie

Different brands

Steve,

I know you are a dealer for AMSOIL, but do you have any opinions about which retail synthetics may be better than others? I would have used Castrol in my car had it come in 5W-30, but only Mobil One had that grade, and have stuck with it over the years.

I visited your website, amazing story about your motorcycle accident!
Old 05-01-2001, 01:16 AM   #21
kris
Off playing with fire.

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMan5952
but my dad won't buy it for me.
Oh jeez.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 10:56 PM   #22
Dillweed
AF Regular

Steve:

Thanks for the info, I now fully understand your situation.
Hope you weren't offended; I like to tease a little.
I too enjoy our conversing.
Old 05-02-2001, 10:59 AM   #23
Steve
AF Newbie

On my web site I have posted tests of different oils. These tests compare the anti wear characteristics of different oils, by measuring the wear of 4 ball bearings under a controlled load while being lubricated. Castrol Syntec, Mobile One and AMSOIL all did pretty good. The differences noted by the tests are probably because of the antiwear additives that are added to the oil. Other additives help seals to swell, anti foam, and detergents and disperssants to clean carbon deposits. Neutralizing additives are also added to the oil to counter the effects of acids formed by oxidation. I think you get what you pay for. The reason some oils are more expensive is because of the quality base stocks and additives.
With all that said, Sean pointed out that dirt build up is a primary consideration. That is absolutely true. I use a foam air filter and a synthetic cellulose fiber oil filter. The air filter keeps the dirt from entering the engine in the first place, so it doesn't get blown by the rings. Then the better oil filter will more thoroughly clean the oil. This will allow the oil to be clean longer.
As to how long can I go between oil changes? That depends on who you ask. I would say if you are using petroleum oil use the manufacturer recommendations. I am extending my drain interval using synthetic oil and premium filters according to the oil manufacturers recommendations. It has been 6 months and I replaced the oil filter only. The oil still looks good but I will have it tested after another 6 months.
That motorcycle accident sure freaked me out. I was a rebel without a clue and I think God used that accident to open my eyes.
Hey Dillweed, keep on teasing. I'll put my pretty pink feelings on hold. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2001, 09:31 AM   #24
Steve
AF Newbie

This is an interesting article about Mobil 1. They tested two GM Quad 4 engines after 200,000 miles with an oil change interval of up to 15,000 miles. They did the same thing to a BMW after 1,000,000 miles.
Mobil 1 Article
My wife's Beretta has a Quad 4 engine with 153,000 miles on it, and it still runs great. This is the car that I am going to have the AMSOIL tested after a year of use. I changed the oil filter at six months of use.
Old 05-05-2001, 10:19 AM   #25
SeanMax
AF Newbie

Woot! Knew there was a reason for using Mobil 1 all these years, and I change every 3000 miles religiously. Only problem is I have the new car bug, kind of lusting after the Acura TL type S, but can't justify the purchase with my car still running great, and trade in value on my 95 Maxima sucks with 82,000 miles, no matter how well cared for it is.
Old 05-08-2001, 06:19 PM   #26
Steve
AF Newbie

That is a nice problem to have. Whoever ends up with your Maxima will get a good deal.
My old Jeep Cherokee has 235,000 miles on it. I figure by not having car payments; it paid for my wife's college tuition. I may just keep on driving it to see how far it will go, it still runs and looks good.
On the other hand I can relate to the new car bug. We were looking at a supercharged Bonnie last month. That's a car for old farts with an attitude.
Old 05-10-2001, 09:38 PM   #27
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
I'm changing my oil on Saturday and I got some Mobil 1. I'm excited How long can I expect to leave it in? I mean, I'll check it occasionally, but what do you think? 15K?
Old 05-13-2001, 10:01 PM   #28
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
Hey, I heard that once you use synthetic you can't go back to using "regular" oil! Now, that sounds like Bullshit to me, but is there any truth to it? I don't even see how that could make ANY sense.

Any answers?
Old 05-14-2001, 07:58 AM   #29
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
All teh oil companies seem to be touting 15K mile oil change intervals, which would make it MORE cost-effective than mineral oil. It also depends what roads, if they are dirty, more often. If its the autobahn (at a normal speed), who knows
Old 06-04-2001, 09:57 AM   #30
Steve
AF Newbie

Petroleum and synthetic oils are compatible. Semi synthetic oil is actually a mix of the two.
Use a good oil filter if you are extending your interval. A paper filter should be changed around 3,000 miles. Paper filters don't hold as much dirt and are not as efficient as synthetic cellulose fiber filters. Even a premium filter should be changed before 12,000 miles.
As far as how long using Mobil1? Porsche recommends 15000 miles in their Boxster. I also agree with Chris that it depends on the conditions that you are driving and the condition of your engine. I just went over 12,000 miles and 8 months using Amsoil and it still looks pretty good. I changed the filter at six months.
www.syntheticoilonline.com