Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 11:15 AM   #1
ADAP
AF Newbie

Question Tell my why my idea to prevent mis-shifts won't work

It's too easy to blow a motor in seconds with a money-shift. I'm surprised there aren't a lot of aftermarket products that address the problem.

Wouldn't it be relatively cheap and easy to affix something around the shifter that would mechanically close any gate for a gear that would over-rev the engine? Couldn't a wire connection to the ECU allow it to perform that function automatically? Or manually, with a button on the shifter knob that closes the gates for all lower gears?

What am I missing?
ADAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Tell my why my idea to prevent mis-shifts won't work

I was going to type a nice long response but I'll just put it this way, if it were that simple it would have happened by now.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:57 AM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

A rev-limiter is intended specifically for that purpose. They have been around longer than most of our members.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:03 AM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

I don't see how a rev-limiter will work with a manual transmission vehicle though which is directly connected to the crankshaft once the working clutch system is engaged.

While this is an over-simplification of a system that seems like it could work with a small tachometer monitoring processor, small servos could be mounted next to each gate that would rotate a bar 90 degrees after the engine speed is too high to safely allow that gear to be engaged. The bar could have a "fork" on the opposite side of the gate for mechanical stiffness. There would be one servo and "fork" for each gear gate other than high gear or maybe the two highest gears. This means either the servos would need to be really small or the gates would need to be spread really far apart. Gates far apart are generally not preferred for performance shifting, and if you're not performance shifting, you probably don't need the gate lock outs.

I alternative thought about a sliding bar system and a single linear actuator that would just slide a single bar for the lower gates and a duplicate system that would slide a bar for the upper gates, which solves the issue of needing the gates to be spread apart, but replaces that with a need for a wide distance between the transmission tunnel and the driver's leg or seat to accommodate the fully released bars.

Hmm, looking at the clock, I wonder if this is similar to the long response Stealthee wanted to avoid.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002

Simply practice the art of precision gear changing, much more rewarding and satisfying than having some electronic gadgetry take the skillout of it.
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical