Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Supra > Rumors
Rumors What have you heard? Tales of the MKV, concepts and spy pics.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 06:49 PM   #1
abdul9018
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to abdul9018
RuMoRS AbouT ThE NeW SUpRa

Now iv heard from diffrent people about the supra and i have done some research but nothing proves they are comming out with a new supra in the states im not up to date with this stuff so could some one fill me in and tell me is it worh anything if it does come out will it be faster then the old one can you do more things to it then the old one or what i think my self its a bunch of b/s but im not always right so fill me in plz

[]D [] []\/[] []D
abdul9018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:21 AM   #2
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

well its supposidly supposed to be more of a race car than a street car but i heard it will be available in the $100,000 price range... its supposed to put out 400hp n/a with a v8 or something like that... thats just wut i heard
ghetto7o2azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 01:41 AM   #3
Sportivo Concepts
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sportivo Concepts
There will be a new sports car, but not a Supra, even in Japan ppl wish and hope for a new gen for the Supra, but Toyota has unofficially retired the Supra all together, mainly due to high insurance rates.

Like said Toyota is working on 2 new cars one to replace the Celica which thye will discontinue in 05 and one other.
Sportivo Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:51 AM   #4
johnraymond
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to johnraymond Send a message via Yahoo to johnraymond
Talking i have the answer

i have a cite, its official www.toyota.com hit it from toyotapartsshop.com there is a link to the toyota cite, there are a list of concepts, and even scion. there is the concept supercar there, i have seen that samn car rumored to be the new supra, but it will be a super hybrib car, having around 400 hp, and 0-60 in 4.5 quarter mile in 10.3 but it will have a weird drive by wire adaptation. . . there is even a LS 430 there on the cite. but it will be renamed the crown and badged with the cursive "T" but we all know its a damn LS 430. . . I have heard all the rumors, heck i even started some. . . months ago on the Acura honda . net forum. . . . and yes they have come true, but . . . sadly no supra, its a hybrid supercar. . . however tha could be bad for the exotic brands. it toyota badges the new car under toyota then the pricing won t be too unheard of. and the exotics will feel the crunch i think. why pay more for somthing that is jusst as good, and wont need nasty azz expensive tune ups.??
johnraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:17 AM   #5
Hale
AF Newbie

Re: i have the answer

I do remember reading something out of Toyota Japan saying that IF they brought the Supra back it would have an N/A v8 based on the Tundra v8...but bored/stroked out. And it would be as a "race car".

I think that now everybody is missing the Supra that if they could bring it back even with a v8 that it would do well as long as they kept the price down to compete with other sports cars. The reason the Supra, and all those high-end import sports cars got axed in the late 90s, was because of diminishing sales abroad. The market was too full with them, but I think '05 would be a great year to release a Sports car...there are very few "true sports cars" left.

I don't see it being a hybrid. I highly doubt Mitsu will go through with their Hybrid Eclipse concept either. People who buy sports cars aren't as concerned with gas milage and pollution as those SUV-haters are. I bet most people who own a sports car as a "weekender" also owns a big v8 suv that gets 11mpg :-D
Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
projectsupramk3
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to projectsupramk3
Re: RuMoRS AbouT ThE NeW SUpRa

All the same Jap sports cars are still around today or have recently been revived, the RX (8), the Z, the EVO, the MR-s, the NSX is still here, even the Miata if you call it one, the only big names that haven't come back yet are the 3KGT and Supra. The market is just as full now as it ever was IMO, people always want speed and it won't ever change.
projectsupramk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:01 AM   #7
TRD3000GT
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to TRD3000GT
I think the millenium, brought about deaths for us all. The declining popularity of the high-end japanese sports-car market killed off alot of the cars people long for and worship today. I have to say the 'supercars' we all came to love and know were mostly the:

-Mitsubishi 3000GT
-Toyota Supra
-Nissan Skyline GT-R's
-Honda/Acura NSX
-Nissan 300ZX
-Mazda RX-7
and even if you think about it,
-Subaru Impreza WRX STi's and
-Mitsubishi Evolution's

But even though that now, every second car we see is a friking Dodge Caravan, some of these giants are still around... But all the cars that are back again, i have come to notice --except the ones with a rally background-- are all... TURBOLESS! as i'll tell you now:

-Mitsubishi 3000GT - gone
-Toyota Supra - gone, but all concept rumours are N/A
-Nissan Skyline GT-R's - R34 stopped production mid 2000, but skylines are back in their non- GT-R models as what we know to be the Infiniti G35 with its N/A V6.
-Honda/Acura NSX - are still here even after megere sales with their N1 quality 291 hp N/A V6s.
-Nissan 300ZX- Back as the 350Z feature another N/A 280 hp V6
-Mazda RX-8's (new RX-7 name)- with the new generation rotary engine - RENESIS a new N/A ver with about 220 hp
__________________________________________________ _____
And as I mentionned, the only 'supercars' of the 90's that have stayed true to their Turbo heritage are the new:
-8th gen WRX STi witha heathy 0-60 in just below 5 seconds, turbocharged boxer-4 DOHC with a nice 300 hp.
- and the new Mitsubishi Evolution (its really the evo VIII but they took the numeral's out of the name for this gen) with a suprisingly low, but still respectable turbocahrged Inline-4 DOHC 271 hp.

I have to say, these cars have struggled to survive, but will never be the same. The japanese supercars will never again be like those we used to know, especially without their boost.

My favourite car is a 1997 Toyota Supra Turbo with the 2JZ-GTE engine.

Last edited by TRD3000GT; 07-09-2004 at 08:46 PM.
TRD3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:14 PM   #8
phatsupraprson
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to phatsupraprson
yea man but the integra, preludes, and the del sol are nice lower priced cars that are gone too, and the new civics arent close to as kerazy as the mid 90s ones. and even the precidia and mx6s werent thaaat bad.
phatsupraprson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:04 PM   #9
TRD3000GT
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to TRD3000GT
I read an article on the possible 2004 (lol) or 2005 Supra design at Suprastore.com, and it hit me. The deaht of the Supra and so many otheres weren't only because of the decline in popularity in the cars, but their engines. Lots of the supercars of Japan used TTs.

Mitsubishi 3000GT:3.0 twinturbo V6 - ended production *1998.*(I think)
Nissan R34 GT-R: 2.6 twinturbo I6 - ended production 2000.
Toyota Supra Turbo: 3.0 twinturbo I6 - ended production 1998.
Nissan 300 ZX: 3.0 twinturbo V6 - ended production 1996.

Aparently the new Nissan 350Z (among many others) is N/A to have lower production costs and be more affordable, rather than go for a complicated twin turbo set-up because that is what really killed off the cars listed above. Their engines were so expensive and complicated to produce, that as time went on, the cars' prices only kept going up.

the new supra article is: http://store5.yimg.com/I/supra_1772_34218501

My favourite car is a 1997 Toyota Supra Turbo with the 2JZ-GTE engine.
TRD3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:28 PM   #10
projectsupramk3
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to projectsupramk3
Re: RuMoRS AbouT ThE NeW SUpRa

Good god man is that sig big enough, I can understand showing it off once but it doesn't need to be in every post. I could have sworn there was some kind of curtious sig size limit here. Why are you focusing on turbo's soo much, if you didn't notice most all of the "origional jap supercars" didn't start out with turbocharging technology so there is no Turbo heritage. Turbo's are a late 80's-mid 90's technology and engines can be made now with the same HP just as reliably with new technology, potential isn't as much of coarse but not everyone wants or needs 700hp. Change is the whole point of making a new car, if they didn't do something new there would be no point in producing it now would there.
projectsupramk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 02:02 AM   #11
jmoneydtb
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jmoneydtb
i have a new rumor for all to kick around, i did see a concept sketch in a mag of a supposed 06 states side supra, said to be powered by 300+hp V6...now i did think this as slightly strange because the supra does have the heritage of the straight 6...but supposedly again, toyota actually considered this as an option to revive the supra but keep the cost down in the $30k range or possible even less...cant remember which mag i saw it in because i was standing in booksamillion looking through all the car mags...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Supra > Rumors