Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Initial D
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Initial D Japanese Cartoon Racing, Drifting and more.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 08:00 AM   #1
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Street racing story, kinda like Ini-D...

I mentioned in another thread that I was trying to work on a street racing story. I saw The Fast and The Furious, and I knew I could do better than that, as far as realism. I figured since this forums is for Ini-D fans and my story is similar to that style, you guys might be able to help me out with some ideas. So here goes:

My main character(haven't decided on a name yet. Call him "MC" for now) is a college freshman who wants to join a prominent car club called Team Fusion. Fusion's leader, Rey Santos, is a good friend of the MC. Rey doesn't want to just let him in, because it will look like he's playing favorites. He tells the MC that he has to race him and keep up in order to be worthy of joining. Oh, and Rey drives a supercharged Honda Prelude making over 250hp.

The story starts with MC's car, an EG-chassis Civic, getting stolen and stripped. He has to find a way to rebuild his car so that he can race with Rey. An old performance shop owner named Shin takes him under his wing, and helps him build up his Civic. Shin used to be a circuit racer in Japan before moving to the U.S. MC meets a customer of Shin's who does autocross, and she agrees to help hone his driving skills. It turns out MC's father was a driving enthusiast, and got MC a go-kart when he was young. He competed and won a few tournaments when he was 12 or so. The father dies before MC turns 16, so he never got to see him drive for real. MC ends up having a great base to build further driving skills on, and everyone is impressed with his abilities.

Meanwhile, MC has a CR-VTEC engine and suspension in his stripped out, lightened Civic. At one point a BMW 5-seires driver accidentally taps his bumper on the freeway. He doesn't stop, and MC chases after him. A news chopper happens to catch the chase on camera, and MC gains some notoriety after the chase is televised.

Later, MC has to race Ken, another person who wants to join Team Fusion. Ken is a former amateur rally driver from the East Coast, and drives a supercharged Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. They duke it out in the rain for the chance to race with Rey in the end.

After the race with Ken, a turbo Civic driver from a team called the Spartans asks MC to join after seeing the 5-series chase. The Spartans are a team of stripped out cars, much like the MC's. They race each other on a dark, cramped, narrow road in the country.

Finally, it's time for the big race with Rey. Rey's been hearing about MC's races, and is getting a little nervous. On a side note, Rey doesn't know anything about driving or tuning. He just expects to have magical gains when you install a part. The day before the race, he gets a nitrous system installed just in case. The MC ends up having to hold back, because Rey is so slow and uncontrolled with his driving. In the end, the MC decides to try and make a pass. Rey gets scared and fires up his nitrous, and BOOM! The Prelude's engine blows because it couldn't handle the supercharger and the nitrous.

Thus ends the first part of my story. My goal is to show the difference between tuning philosophies. The MC's car is tuned for performance only, with a stripped-out interior, lightweight wheels, and a coilover suspension. His car is really prepared to race. Rey's Prelude on the other hand, is nicknamed the "Lead 'Lude," because it is so heavy. It may be supercharged, but it also has a big bodykit, decked out interior with a big stereo system and video screens, and big, heavy wheels. It's better suited as a carpet queen at a car show than a racing car.

Any comments so far? I tried not to post too much at one time. There's actually a lot more to this.hehe
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:35 PM   #2
azndng
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to azndng
Re: Street racing story, kinda like Ini-D...

Quote:
Originally posted by VQuick
I mentioned in another thread that I was trying to work on a street racing story. I saw The Fast and The Furious, and I knew I could do better than that, as far as realism. I figured since this forums is for Ini-D fans and my story is similar to that style, you guys might be able to help me out with some ideas. So here goes:

My main character(haven't decided on a name yet. Call him "MC" for now) is a college freshman who wants to join a prominent car club called Team Fusion. Fusion's leader, Rey Santos, is a good friend of the MC. Rey doesn't want to just let him in, because it will look like he's playing favorites. He tells the MC that he has to race him and keep up in order to be worthy of joining. Oh, and Rey drives a supercharged Honda Prelude making over 250hp.

The story starts with MC's car, an EG-chassis Civic, getting stolen and stripped. He has to find a way to rebuild his car so that he can race with Rey. An old performance shop owner named Shin takes him under his wing, and helps him build up his Civic. Shin used to be a circuit racer in Japan before moving to the U.S. MC meets a customer of Shin's who does autocross, and she agrees to help hone his driving skills. It turns out MC's father was a driving enthusiast, and got MC a go-kart when he was young. He competed and won a few tournaments when he was 12 or so. The father dies before MC turns 16, so he never got to see him drive for real. MC ends up having a great base to build further driving skills on, and everyone is impressed with his abilities.

Meanwhile, MC has a CR-VTEC engine and suspension in his stripped out, lightened Civic. At one point a BMW 5-seires driver accidentally taps his bumper on the freeway. He doesn't stop, and MC chases after him. A news chopper happens to catch the chase on camera, and MC gains some notoriety after the chase is televised.

Later, MC has to race Ken, another person who wants to join Team Fusion. Ken is a former amateur rally driver from the East Coast, and drives a supercharged Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. They duke it out in the rain for the chance to race with Rey in the end.

After the race with Ken, a turbo Civic driver from a team called the Spartans asks MC to join after seeing the 5-series chase. The Spartans are a team of stripped out cars, much like the MC's. They race each other on a dark, cramped, narrow road in the country.

Finally, it's time for the big race with Rey. Rey's been hearing about MC's races, and is getting a little nervous. On a side note, Rey doesn't know anything about driving or tuning. He just expects to have magical gains when you install a part. The day before the race, he gets a nitrous system installed just in case. The MC ends up having to hold back, because Rey is so slow and uncontrolled with his driving. In the end, the MC decides to try and make a pass. Rey gets scared and fires up his nitrous, and BOOM! The Prelude's engine blows because it couldn't handle the supercharger and the nitrous.

Thus ends the first part of my story. My goal is to show the difference between tuning philosophies. The MC's car is tuned for performance only, with a stripped-out interior, lightweight wheels, and a coilover suspension. His car is really prepared to race. Rey's Prelude on the other hand, is nicknamed the "Lead 'Lude," because it is so heavy. It may be supercharged, but it also has a big bodykit, decked out interior with a big stereo system and video screens, and big, heavy wheels. It's better suited as a carpet queen at a car show than a racing car.

Any comments so far? I tried not to post too much at one time. There's actually a lot more to this.hehe
its nice to know that u know ur honda's = ) except the bolt on = power. (250 for sc lude? dun think so) it was enjoyable to read. but kinda rice.. and TF&F if you ask me. and then u inferred that MC beat Ken. how can that even happne? awd sc vs ff car in the rain? anyways... i'd read it if u have more parts. btw where's itr or king nsx? to show some rapage
azndng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:54 PM   #3
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Well...

See? This is why I wanted to post my ideas. I need people to pick ‘em apart so I can build it back up. Tell me what's ricey or similar to TF&TF, so I can change it.hehe
Before I go on further, I should mention that my story is set in the Houston, TX area. Actually, it’s a little west of that in the town of Katy where I live. I know the roads, and it will be easy for me to go into detail.
I'm sure if a Jackson SC is good for about a 40% hp gain, a 7th gen 'Lude should at least be making around 250hp at the flywheel, right? I was trying to underrate the car, actually. The guys at Honda-Tech.com said that the EG wouldn't stand a chance at all against the 'Lude. I could have him swap out to a smaller pulley, too. That would increase the possibility of his engine blowing when he tries to use nitrous too.

The race with Ken isn't final yet. I just came up with the idea for the rain. Previously, the race was going to be in the dry. Ken was going to have a funny looking wheel-tire combo. The offset on Subarus is notoriously high, like 47mm. The wheels were out past the fenders on the Impreza. I haven't made a final decision on if I'm going to have the Impreza supercharged or not. The kit I would feature is Rimmer's Roots blower, and it boosts power to around 235hp at the flywheel.
On the course, there's a slightly banked left curve, followed by a similar turn to the right. You can see the straight after the right curve while you're turning left. This gives you a clear shot(a shortcut) across the field.

What happens is, MC barely gets in front of Ken. The Impreza had a great launch, but MC had more top end power. MC's coming up on the left turn, thinking back to the mods that Ken had on his 2.5 RS, and remembers those funny looking tires. He realizes that they were a street truck tire, with a bit off off-road capability(Eg: Pirelli Scorpion Zeros). They are a very wide tire(255mm+ section width), and so the wheels stuck out past the Impreza's fenders. Just then, Ken launches his Impreza off of the banked turn and cuts across the field, taking the lead. MC is stuck watching Ken cut across the dirt, since his street tires can't handle the rough terrain. MC uses his power advantage to get some of the lead back. He ends up taking a better line than Ken too, because Ken keeps drifting his Impreza(rally-style driving). Trouble is, Ken's tires are slowing him down a bit as well. Grip driving lines are faster than drift lines in most cases, and MC barely edges Ken out for the win.

Oh, and that's the "First Stage" of my story.hehe I've got ideas for 2, maybe even 3 more continuations. In my second one, I'll get to the big dogs, like the NSX. I don't actually have one in there though.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:00 AM   #4
Pimp Excape
AF Newbie

If ken was a rally driver he might have a wrx sti (270 hp, not sold in the us) not the rs. but since he's a college student with not a lot of money it might work. Maybe a rwd car might be better for autocross style driving(i've never been a fan of fwd cars).
Pimp Excape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 04:16 AM   #5
Monkey-Magic-S15-R
Banned

250hp-? ? ? ? i thought ludes made 200 -220 stock 00-02 ludes that is ?

Why a lude no nissan? i dunno i dun like FF's anymore i want to avoid them if i can

the prelude is still a nice looking car and they are nice to drive too (i driven two of em)
Monkey-Magic-S15-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 07:31 AM   #6
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Hehe...

The key word for Ken is "amateur." He just did it in his spare time. He just had enough sponsors to let him race his car. He already owned the 2.5 RS, and used it as a daily driver/rally car.

Stock 97-01 Preludes make 200hp stock. The 'Lude in my story is supercharged, and has a few bolt ons.

I have probably too many Nissans in my story, I just haven't mentioned them yet. I'm kind of doing a progressive thing. As my story moves on, the cars will get better.
MC's girlfriend has a turbo RPS13 240SX hatch.
At first, Shin, the shop owner has a daily driver 1st generation Maxima(rwd) with a stroker engine, making almost 300hp NA. In the second part, he reveals his racing car to be an 800hp Datsun Z with an RB30DETT swap.
In the second part, MC himself gets into an accident and totals his Civic. He replaces it with an S14 MC 240SX, and Shin puts in an old RB26 that he used to use in his Z.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:21 AM   #7
Monkey-Magic-S15-R
Banned

no such thing as RB30DETT

surely you mean a bored out RB26DETT
Monkey-Magic-S15-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 10:10 AM   #8
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Nope...

Here There really were RB30s, but they were NA. People have been taking the RB30 blocks and replacing them with the Neo-VVT R34 heads and boosting them.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:05 AM   #9
Kaneto
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kaneto
EG with a CRVTEC and a well built suspension will own a supercharged lude... particularly if Rey just drops on bolt-ons and isn't that much of a tuner (which means he probably doesn't have a properly tuned suspension, or know how to use it).

Rarely does anyone ever supercharge a 2.5RS, though. The vast majority of people turbo-charge them. Scooby people are big turbo boost guys. Granted your character might just have a rare exception, but it's just something to keep in mind (I do all the work on my friend's WRX, and am somewhat familiar with the Impreza tuner community).

Drifting through a field to cut a corner is cheating. Just like on a track, if you cut straight through the corners in a chicane and gain a position, you get penalized. Not that he can't do it in the story.... but it's a pretty cheap way to win.

Interesting stuff, all-in-all. I'm wondering though if there's a real point to it, or if it's just playing around for fun? It's cool either way. Just curious.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:44 PM   #10
Pimp Excape
AF Newbie

hey kaneto wich would better a 2.5 with a turbo or the wrx with a larger tubo/intercooler. I'm curious if the extra .5L will add more hp for less money.

If ken knows jack about racing and tuning, how'd he get to be the leader of the racing team?
Pimp Excape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 03:41 PM   #11
Kaneto
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kaneto
If we're talking purely power and potential for the money, go with the WRX. The 2.5RS is only $5k less than the WRX, and you're going to spend well more than that just to get it ready to handle a decent turbo. The extra 0.5L of displacement isn't going to give you that much in the long run.

IMO, the only reason to go 2.5RS over WRX is if you like the older styling better, and you get a 98-01 RS. I know a lot of people don't like the big circular headlights and bulkier body of the newer chassis.

Also keep in mind that the WRX has beefier brakes and a stronger suspension stock than the 2.5RS... which will also have to be upgraded to compensate for the increase in power.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:42 AM   #12
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaneto
EG with a CRVTEC and a well built suspension will own a supercharged lude... particularly if Rey just drops on bolt-ons and isn't that much of a tuner (which means he probably doesn't have a properly tuned suspension, or know how to use it).
That's the big point I was trying to get across about Rey: He knows very little about tuning or real driving. This is shown in the way his 'Lude is modified. He put the Jackson supercharger on, then added a smaller pulley for more boost. He didn't add more fuel or lower his compression, so the engine is basically a time bomb. When he uses the nitrous in the final race, of course the engine is going to detonate. Rey has a big body kit, heavy 18-inch wheels, and a massive stereo/video system. The 'Lude probably weighs close to 3300lbs or so. He drives by flinging the car into a corner. He early-apexes all the time, thinking that the reason he almost goes off the road each time is because he's so fast, not because of a bad line.
MC on the other hand, stripped out his Civic, took out the back seat and all the carpet and sound deadening in the back. He's got a cage in the back of the car now. The stereo is gone, and he has lightweight 16-inch wheels and a carbon fiber hood. If it didn't help him go faster, he didn't add it. I'd say curb weight is around 2400lbs. MC has an extensive driving background starting with go karts when he was very young, so he knows a bit about car dynamics.

I was going to highlight the difference in tuning philosophies further with their separate entrances for the final race. The rest of Team Fusion is at the course, making sure there isn't any road debris that could interfere with the race. Rey drives up, stereo cranked, windows down, underbody neons and strobes flashing. Everyone cheers when he shows up, and wonders if the chump in the Civic is going to show. Then they hear a loud wailing sound from the other end of the course. Everone wonders what kind of car could make that sound. The sound lowers, tires squeal, and the noise increases in volume again. The Civic comes screaming around the first corner in a butt-dragging, lift-throttle ovesteer. If this were a movie, I'd have an underhood view at this point, showing the individual throttle bodies and cam gears spinning. The car straightens out, and then makes a 180-degree handbrake turn, coming to a stop just a few feet away from the crowd. I was thinking of having a member from Fusion tell Rey "Your entrance was good. His was better," just like Batman Forever.hehe
Quote:
Drifting through a field to cut a corner is cheating. Just like on a track, if you cut straight through the corners in a chicane and gain a position, you get penalized. Not that he can't do it in the story.... but it's a pretty cheap way to win.[/b]
But Ken's jump would look so cool if it were in a movie!hehe It would be kinda similar to Kai Kogashiwa's jump in Initial D 3rd Stage. Nobody cared if it was cheating. It was so innovative and effective that people thought it was cool. At first, I was thinking of having Ken pick up some debris as he cruised through the field and end up with a flat tire. Now I think I'll just have MC catch up using faster grip lines instead of drifting like Ken. MC and Ken end up respecting each other a lot, and develop a friendly rivalry. They both upgrade cars later(Ken gets a new STi), and race each other again.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:08 AM   #13
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Bump...and a peek at Part 2!

I thought I'd share my ideas for the second part of the story...and bump the thread up so more people can see it.:sun:

My “Second Stage” will start a few weeks after the first part ends. Rey and MC are on the phone. Rey says how some domestics came to the area, and they wanted to get together and have a little “friendly” race on a road of their choosing. Rey accepted, and asks MC to drive for him. MC didn’t join Fusion after all, so he doesn’t feel obligated. Rey gives him a guilt trip about his ‘Lude’s new engine not being ready yet, and MC finally agrees. He tells Rey a different road that he wants to race on. Then he asks who the opponent will be, and the answer? “Oh, it’s just a Camaro SS. Don’t worry though, he’s the rookie on the team.” MC fruits out, saying how the SS has almost 100hp on him, if he’s stock. “You’ll do fine,” Rey says, and hangs up.
Anyway, the night of the race comes, and Rey calls with a lame excuse, saying he can’t be there. The rest of Team Fusion doesn't show up, either. MC’s girlfriend(more on her later) comes along to support him, though. The truck stop where they meet is full of rip-snorting ‘Vettes, Trans-Ams, Camaros, and Mustangs. The leader owns a ZR-1 ‘Vette, and is actually a cool guy. His ZR-1 has the 4-cam 32v LT5 V8, so he respects imports and their technology. The SS driver though, is a total arse, though. The leader decides that the race will be a handicap, and gives them a certain route to take. He also mounts a video camera on MC’s roll cage to record the run.
MC is allowed to have a head start down the road. The SS driver starts soon after, but takes a shortcut and cheats. MC suddenly realizes the SS is in front. He gets mad, and drives harder. The SS reaches the turnaround point and heads back. Just for kicks, the driver shears off MC’s mirror as they pass each other. MC is really steamed at this point, and starts driving like a maniac, just like when he was chasing the 5-series. He wants to beat the SS no matter what, just to put the SS driver in his place. The SS driver takes the cheat road again, and MC takes the true route. MC's path has a slightly uphill junction where the roads join. The SS passes the junction, and sees the Civic get airborne in his rearview mirror. The SS driver manages to hold the lead and wins. The rest of the domestic team leaves to go celebrate, leaving MC, the SS driver and the leader. The leader is skeptical, and checks the tape from the camera. Sure enough, the SS driver cheated. He also sees where MC’s mirror got knocked off. He apologizes to MC, and makes the SS driver pay to replace the mirror. Then the leader kicks him off the team for cheating. The leader chats with MC a bit more, and tells him to contact him when he gets a better car so the two of them can race.
This next part might take place as a flashback, I dunno. MC heads home with his girlfriend, feeling at least a little vindicated. He’s thinking about what he can do for more power when an 18-wheeler goes out of control in front of him. There’s no time to stop, and the passenger(girlfriend’s) side of the car is going to be hit. MC jerks the wheel and lifts on the handbrake. The car changes direction to take her out of danger, but is still hit on his side. The Civic is totaled, and MC’s ankle is fractured. The domestic leader sees the accident and stops to help.
MC is depressed about losing his Civic, even though he kept his girlfriend from getting hurt. He thinks about not racing anymore. Shin, the old shop owner picks up MC in his other car: a Datsun Z powered by an 800hp RB30DETT. Shin reveals that he has been racing on the freeways at night. He takes MC to his favorite spot, and punches it, reaching 140mph+. MC is inspired again to keep racing. He finds another car for himself, an S14 MC 240SX. He doesn’t want to use the truck engine that it came with, and is trying to decide on a transplant. Shin takes him to his garage where he keeps the Z, and shows him something under a cloth: an RB26DETT. Shin used the engine in his Z before he upgraded to the RB30. They make plans to swap the RB into the S14.
Rey has gotten Team Fusion together to travel to a drag race event a few hours away in San Antonio. He invites MC, but he doesn’t know if the car will be ready yet. A few nights later, Rey is testing his new engine, a stroked 2.5L H22 out on his favorite road. He can’t believe how much faster the Prelude is, and is confident he’ll beat MC if they have a rematch. A flicker of a headlight in the rearview catches his eye. Rey decides to wait up and see who it is. The car is on him in seconds, and wants to pass. Rey tries to block the car, and is faked out by the same trick MC used in their first race. The car roars by, quickly followed by another car. They both shoot a flame from their tailpipes and enter the next corner at frightening speed. Rey tries to follow but falls hopelessly behind. He wonders who was driving those two cars.
It’s Friday, and Team Fusion leaves for the race, and MC and his girlfriend aren’t able to leave with them. It turns out, MC was just getting the car painted, and so he and his gf leave later.
Rey and the team are heading down the highway at a decent pace, when someone calls him on his short-range radio. “Rey…I can see you!” Rey looks to the side, and sees MC in his 240SX on the feeder road. Rey can't believe that MC caught up with them. There’s an entrance to the freeway up ahead, and Rey decides to block it so MC can’t get on. He downshifts and chirps his tires. MC and his gf laugh as he downshifts and takes off. MC makes it to the entrance first, and cuts Rey off as he gets on the freeway. MC lifts off the throttle and Rey sees an exhaust flame just like the one from a few nights ago. Rey realizes that MC was the one who blasted by him so quickly.
Everyone spends the night, and wakes up to a misty rain. They go to the track anyway, hoping the race is still on. After they arrive, they get the bad news: the event has been canceled. The leader of a local team gets the bright idea to have their own races. I might have this guy drive a modded S2000.
I haven’t given this part much thought yet, since I don’t know the roads in San Antonio.

Anyways, later, everyone goes back to town. A few weeks later, a rich arse in a Viper shows up. He easily beats the leader of the domestic team with his ZR-1 ‘Vette. It doesn’t look like anyone can give the guy a challenge…until Shin hears about it. He challenges the Viper driver to an epic race on the loop freeway in Houston. The Viper kills Shins Z off the line, but Shin easily starts catching up. Shin reveals he has a second boost setting, and leaves the Viper behind.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:44 PM   #14
Toksin
Non-profit Organisation

Send a message via AIM to Toksin
Re: Re: Street racing story, kinda like Ini-D...

Quote:
Originally posted by azndng

its nice to know that u know ur honda's = ) except the bolt on = power. (250 for sc lude? dun think so) it was enjoyable to read. but kinda rice.. and TF&F if you ask me. and then u inferred that MC beat Ken. how can that even happne? awd sc vs ff car in the rain? anyways... i'd read it if u have more parts. btw where's itr or king nsx? to show some rapage
Both Preludes and Civics are FF...Preludes are not awd
Old 11-01-2002, 08:11 PM   #15
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Nah...

He was talking about the race with the 2.5 RS.

What did you think of the concept?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Initial D