Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #16
gamehenge
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Passat surging, "emissions workshop" message

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel2000
I have an ongoing problem with my 2000 Passat 1.8. The "emissions workshop" message comes on shortly after I start driving the car. Also, when the car is in Drive and I am stopped, the car surges repeatedly and the idle jumps up and down. If I let up on the brake and re-brake, the surging decreases, then builds back up again. The car won't surge like this in Park or Neutral. Now I put the car in Neutral when I'm at a stoplight. There is also a strong smell of gas in the exhaust. Don't know if that is related.

I have had the vacuum hoses replaced. No improvement. I had the 02 sensor replaced. No improvement. I made the mistake of not getting a copy of the computer codes from first scan (independent mechanic, not VW). Had it scanned again yesterday. This time there was one code, P1128.

It's probably obvious from my post that I don't know much about cars. Has anyone had similar experience with a Passat and found the problem?

Thanks-
i am having this exact problem with a passat, 2000, that i bought from the vw dealer 3 weeks ago. did you ever find the source
gamehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #17
flyinrouse
AF Newbie

I've got a 2000 vw passat, 1.8 turbo. Just bought it 3 weeks ago. I got about 50 miles out from buying it (used as is) and the "emission workshop" and check engine light came on. It gave me a P1128 Code, running too lean. When i'm in gear stopped, with my foot on the brake it surges up and down about 200-300 rpm. Runs good when it's in neutral and when im driving. Ive changed the front o2 sensor, fuel filter, and airfilter. Im starting to run out of money to throw at this thing. Ive looked at the vaccum lines and didn't find anything, is there a popular vac. line that usually goes out? Please help?
flyinrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #18
limacina
AF Newbie

It's been a couple years since I worked on the 01 we had, got an 07 in late 06.
Theres was a hidden vacuum line under the intake that went close to the exhaust and dried out. It was a bigger dia than standard. maybe 1/2" od.
I found with the help of a great Porche mechanic that I had multiple problems(turned out cheaper to get service thru an exotic car guy than the gamble at the dealer) I had bad coils he tested out, I changed all the vacuum lines myself one at a time. Thats all I can remember, there was more. I found a ton on here, keep looking.
Good luck
limacina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #19
myfirstvw
AF Newbie

I've had the surging issue when in Drive and idling. It was OK in Neutral and Park. I had the throttle body cleaned and the problem was solved. That was two weeks ago. My Emmissions Workshop Light came on two days ago.

I have a 2000 Passat 1.8
myfirstvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #20
mgoblue24
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: 2000 Passat surging,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahnfire
From what I understand based on other posts, the P1128 error boils down to an air-fuel management problem. The code can be triggered by

a) a loose gas cap
b) a clogged air screen in the air box (below the air filter catridge)
c) an old air filter catridge
d) a vacuum leak
d) a bad mass air flow meter
e) bad 02 sensors
g) an exhaust leak

among other things I think.

I'd start with the first three items for a potential cheap fix. The only tools you will need will be a screw driver to remove the air screen for inspection. If you end up going into the air box, you may want to change out the air filter while you are there and clean off whatever is on the air screen. Would be good to do both anytime your in there. A clogged air screen was my P1128 trigger.

I've found that vacuum leaks tend occur at vacuum line connection points. Make sure the connection points are secure and look for cracks (paying close attention to the connection points). If you see a crack at a connection point, you may be able to snip a little bit off the end and reattach for a fix.

Your mass air flow meter may or may not be under recall. Call the dealer and check, can't hurt. If not, they can be found on Ebay at resonable prices relative to the dealer. No tools required to remove and install.

O2 sensors can start to go lazy and/or get contaminated (engine coolant can really do a job on them). I think there are two in our cars, one upstream of the catalytic converter and one downstream. I think a wrench will be all that's needed to remove them but getting to them is a little work.

Exhaust leaks may be able to be patched depending on where there are. Cold weather helps reveal them.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

FYI - Autozone will scan check engine lights for free.
Awesome info for sure! However, I am having the same issue come up. I have 3 codes (P1114, P1118 and P1128) coming up. Any ideas on how I can check to see what kind of engine I have (I know its the 1.8T, but I guess there are 2 different models?) I have the 2000 VW Passat 1.8T GLS, but is there a location I could find this information out? Also, I bought 2 O2 sensors today (pre and post CC), and I was wondering how many O2 sensors there are altogether? And 1 last thing, what is this "vac line" that everyone seems to be talking about? I'm not good with cars, at all. My friend has an 03 Jetta Wolfsburg and he showed it to me. It was basically on top of the engine for him, but on the Passat, everything is buried. And is a MAF sensor and a MAF meter the same thing?

Thanks in advance everyone. I'm trying to sell this car and quick, but I want to sell it the right way. I'm looking to upgrade to a 2004 Saab 9-3 I found.
mgoblue24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:01 AM   #21
flyinrouse
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Passat surging,

After a couple of months i finally decided to take it to the dealer to see what they had to say. The code there machine picked up is P1114 (the rear 02 sensor). My obd2 gave me p1128 (running too lean), the rear o2 sensor is 190 bucks, i get the part today so hopefully it works. Ive thrown about 600 bucks at this car to try to find the problem. I replaced the fuel filter, air filter, mass air flow meter, and the front o2 sensor, so i really hope its just the rear o2 sensor.
flyinrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #22
limacina
AF Newbie

I hate to say you might have made a mistake with the O2 sensor, maybe others can chime in on this too.
I had the same code, but you have to understand your engine is running bad. Your O2 sensor may not be defective, just reporting the actual readings. O2 sensors used to clog with leaded gas in the past, I don't think its as big an issue anymore.
Be sure to let us know if you fix it with a new O2 sensor though.

I'm on to bigger issues with the 2007 Passat, excess carbon build up at 50k miles. "hello, Toyota dealer"
Old 09-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #23
tanji
AF Newbie

I have a VW passat 2000 with turbo..and tiptronic trsnmission..If i lturn off the car n the night and turn it back on the morning..i hear a weird noise for like 20 seconds...and it goes away..then when i drive for 2 or 3 minutes..the noise comes backs for 3 or 5 seconds and then stops...also i have the emission workshop light on..i dont know what to do..i dont have that much money to repair..can anybody please advise me what to do.
tanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #24
limacina
AF Newbie

the 20 seconds of noise at startup is an air compressor pressurizing your gas tank, it's a test to see if theres any leaks in the vapor return system. This is why you get a check engine light so soon after you leave the gas cap loose.
Emissions light is probably vacuum lines, theres one larger dia. one under the exhaust manifold that dryrots. It could be coils? I cant remember the code for that.
See if you can find a European sports car mechanic, I went to a guy that specializes in Porsche's, he was way cheaper than the dealer and had the diagnostics and common sense to deal with a WV.
Before going there, Autozone had a code reader, the kid came out and read a code that said bad O2 sensor, he was ready to sell me a new one for something like $180, I decided to wait and found out the vacuum leak was causing the O2 sensor to read bad. The moral is be careful, these cars are smarter than the kids working on old chevys and fords these days.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #25
Elizabethjean
AF Newbie

All this information is helpfull, my passat with 136 plus miles runs great except for the hestiation and wanting to stall out. First started it runs bad then after it warms up it improves but problem is still there.
I have replaced the cap/rotor/alternator rebuilt, tune up/belt, timing belt looks good but I know its time to change it. Help
Elizabethjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #26
kbarney
AF Newbie

I own a 2000 Passat GLS (1.8T manual transmission) with 156K miles. Two days ago, I went to get an oil change at an instant oil change garage. The mechanic showed me both my engine and cabin air filters and recommended that I replace them both. Because they were around $50 each, I opted to have them "patted" clean prior to reinstalling them. I left the garage and drove home with no problems. The next day, I drove 100 miles with no problems. Then, this morning (two days after the oil change) my "Emissions Workshop!" Warning comes on my dash along with the check engine light. The car was showing no signs of running poorly so I continued to drive it to work. After work, I stopped at an Autozone to get a free diagnostic, and the trouble code I got was P1128 "Manufacturer control fuel air metering". After looking under the hood and doing a visual inspection, turns out the engine air filter was not properly seated and installed. So I drove the vehicle back to the garage where I got my oil change and the mechanic knew exactly what the problem was. The mechanic showed me that because of a heat reflector shield that is difficult to remove and restricts access to the air filter, it is pretty common for people (especially kids that are working at an oil change garage and are in a big hurry) to not properly seat the air filter and secure the housing over the top of the filter. The mechanic offered to replace my air filter for free because the old one was now partially smashed (and gave me a free car wash). After they did this, the check engine and emissions workshop lights went away! . Be sure to check your air filter if you get this error code.
I hope this story can save someone from spending lots of $ at a dealer.
kbarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #27
arkitek
AF Newbie

Hi. Had the EXACT same problem, and now it is solved. I had a couple of things which were interlaced and had to be fixed and let me tell you in was mind boggling! First i had to replace a cracked vacuum hose and fix a leaking gasket cover. These two took care of the smell that i had in the car, but my turbo remained sluggish and rpm at idle was still variable. Then we replaced the MAF (mass air flow) sensor and BINGO! The turbo wad once again powerful, the rpm at idle was steady and no more Check Engine!!!!! ;-)
HOPE this helps, it did it for me!
arkitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:07 AM   #28
c2cbeasom
AF Newbie

Hey everyone. The answer is IGNITION COILS. My emissions workshop light went on and off for four years before the problem was pinpointed in 2008 and the ignition coils were replaced. The light has been off for two years now and I just received a recall notice in the mail informing me that there is a "Voluntary Emissions Service Action" to replace the ignition coils. VW is a few years too late for me, but they are offering to reimburse you if you provide them with documentation of having the ignition coils replaced.

For more info, go to www.vwcoils.com

Good luck and I hope this helps!!
c2cbeasom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #29
abt
AF Newbie

I purchased my 2000 Passat GLX V6 sedan car used 2 years ago. First of all, I love this car. It’s a solid timeless car, beautiful silver, comfortable grey leather seats, has a great engine, ample trunk space, and moon roof. I feel like I could happily drive it for the next 10 years. Best of all, I paid practically nothing for it, at least compared to what I would have paid for a new Passat.

However, I've had a problem with the "emissions workshop/check engine" light since I bought the car two years ago. It’s been on and off the entire time I’ve had the car. The dealer initially diagnosed my problem. He said it was my O2 sensor, so I had it replaced on the left side. $300 and two weeks later the light came back on. I took it back in immediately. He said it was rear O2 sensor and it also needed replaced. Really? Clearly he didn’t he know there was a front a rear sensor in the first place. My impression was that he was going by the codes, and had no real analytical ideas of his own. I don’t like our Volkswagen dealer. My impression is that they spend all their money on service - i.e. coffee and snacks in the lobby, service managers, shuttle service, showrooms, and a bunch of people standing around not fixing cars. I spoke with at least 4 employees, none of whom had any idea what was going on under the hood of my car. At least not my old used beauty. I'm sure they have newer, nicer cars to change the oil in and rotate tires on or whatever they do....I haven’t been back to them and have since been searching for the ideal mechanic.

Anyhow, I ignored the light for awhile and eventually it turned off on its own. After awhile it came back on and was pretty steady and persistent, so I took it to a new mechanic and he also told me it was the O2 sensor. No doubt, again going by the "code". So, I agreed to replace the O2 sensor on the right side. $200 and two days later the check engine light came back on, AGAIN. I was livid at this point. I took it back it, and he told me that I actually have 4 O2 sensors and that the other two needed replaced and it would be another $400. Ridiculous. No one knew from the beginning that there for 4 O2 sensors?!?! He clearly didn’t know this, and again, was just going by the codes. The poor guy was as flustered as I was by the problem. Another front man, who doesn’t fix cars. I talked with the actual mechanics, they were a bunch of underpaid, young, inexperienced guys.

So- since I hadn’t been lucky enough to find anyone intuitive and experienced enough to actually pinpoint the issue, I started researching it on my own. Come to find out there are TONS of people out there with 2000 Passats and check engine/emissions workshop errors that won't go away! My bet is I could replace these O2 sensors once a month for the rest of my life and the check engine light will still come on.

I started putting top quality gas in my car (should have done that from beginning) and taking care of true issues, like my timing belt, stellar tires, synthetic oil, a pan gasket. . . These are things that will leave me on the side of the road if I don't replace. Next I'm getting new spark plugs and I might change the brake fluid. Based on this forum I think I’ll have the next mechanic check my bypass valve, air box, and air screen. I'm NOT going to replace the "other two" O2 sensors until I’ve had every bit of the air filtering items checked over or replaced.

Woe is me- Eventually I'll find someone who knows Passats - it’s a challenge. I think I need to make friends with a Volkswagen mechanic so I can learn how to fix it myself. In the meantime, I’ll continue to ride my bike everywhere, and save my car for my camping trips. I hope it makes it to the mountains this weekend without any problems!
abt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
jff
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Passat surging,

I am having a similar message on my Passat. My girlfriend recently filled the car the last two times with regular fuel. Might that be the reason my car is performing poorly?

Anything I should do to offset the damage that she may have done?
jff is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat