Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Rendezvous
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Golferdude
AF Newbie

Gas Leak?

I have a 2002 Rendezvous with 210K miles on it. It is turning cooler (low 40s in the morning) now and last week I went out to put things in my car before I headed to work. I started it and came back in to get the last things. When I went back out, I could smell gas. I popped the hood open and I could see where the smell was coming from. I closed the hood and drove my truck to work. Well when I got home, warmer now, it wasn't leaking. For the last week it didn't leak. Today, it was near 40 and is leaking again.

I have clouded the pic and put an arrow on it to show where the leak is coming form. Isn't this part of the fuel rail that supplies gas to the injectors? If not what is it and any idea what is causing the leak? An o-ring?

Golferdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Gas Leak?

That is the fuel pressure regulator......can be done by a DIY'er.....

Relieve fuel pressure....remove fuel pump relay or fuse and crank the vehicle...car will start and die.....place rag under the reg to catch what drips out....

Where the fuel line comes out of the bottom, there is large nut...must be backed off, and the line removed.....then to the left is a torx bolt, that hold a retainer on the reg.......remove that....then pull the f/p reg out of the rail....should be an o-ring on the reg...if not, it is inside the rail....be sure to remove it.....use petroleum jelly on the new o-rings to make installation easier......

If you need the fuel line to have more play for assembly/disassembly, follow it to a clip that holds the supply and return lines together...remove the clip(bolt), and you'll have more "play"....good luck...

Remember, you are dealing with fuel here.....wear protective glasses, and don't do this on a hot engine...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Golferdude
AF Newbie

Re: Gas Leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
That is the fuel pressure regulator......can be done by a DIY'er.....

Relieve fuel pressure....remove fuel pump relay or fuse and crank the vehicle...car will start and die.....place rag under the reg to catch what drips out....

Where the fuel line comes out of the bottom, there is large nut...must be backed off, and the line removed.....then to the left is a torx bolt, that hold a retainer on the reg.......remove that....then pull the f/p reg out of the rail....should be an o-ring on the reg...if not, it is inside the rail....be sure to remove it.....use petroleum jelly on the new o-rings to make installation easier......

If you need the fuel line to have more play for assembly/disassembly, follow it to a clip that holds the supply and return lines together...remove the clip(bolt), and you'll have more "play"....good luck...

Remember, you are dealing with fuel here.....wear protective glasses, and don't do this on a hot engine...
Thanks for the info. Just curious, is it common for the o-ring to leak where the reg and rail meet? My first instinct was an o-ring since it doesn't leak when it is warmer, only when it is cold. But it does have 210K miles on it...can't complain.
Golferdude is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Rendezvous