Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Suspension
Suspension setups, shocks, springs, tires, handling.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 05:33 PM   #1
pche059
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to pche059
Further Lowering The Car with Shocks

Hey guys, I have a 99 G20 lowered Eibach Springs. I have cut about half a coil off the springs now they are about 12mm lower than the standard Eibach Springs. However I am still wanting to go lower. The ride is sitting on 215/40/17s and I have already got a camber kit installed with front camber set at -1.8. I am willing to lower it anthoer 20-30 mms so the guards are just sitting on the rims. I have heard that most koni shocks are height adjustable, however the ones for the p11 are not. Do you guys know if there are any other makes that could do the job? I want to keep my Eibach springs and my camber kit.
pche059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 09:32 PM   #2
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Re: Further Lowering The Car with Shocks

Quote:
Originally posted by pche059
I have already got a camber kit installed with front camber set at -1.8.
Where did you get a camber kit for the P11? I am unaware of any way to adjust camber on our cars.

Quote:
I have heard that most koni shocks are height adjustable, however the ones for the p11 are not. Do you guys know if there are any other makes that could do the job? I want to keep my Eibach springs and my camber kit.
No, Konis are not ride height adjustable. The only solution for adjustable right height for our cars is coilovers.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 10:30 PM   #3
kenchan
AF Enthusiast

get some JIC's and go as low as you want!

teins drop it pretty low too, low enough for my tastes, at least.

why dont you try gc?
1998 Prelude SS - TEIN HA with upper pillows, SSR Integrals 17x7 with SP8000 (215/45), GReddy Evo catback, Iceman Comp Intake, DC Sports header, Apexi VAFC, ZEX 55 shot with bottle heater, NOS blanket, Factory Body Kit, Spoon F/R tower bars, JDM Foglamps, Carbon Fiber trim, Razo pedals &knobs, Fiamm Dual air horn

Future Mods: Lighten car, 2nd 10lbs nitrous bottle would be nice too.

2001 G20 P11 AT- TEIN NA, TRM Snipers 17x7 with Potenza RE910 (215/45), Arospeed Dual-outlet Muffler, K&N Drop-in Airfilter, WW Front Lip, Nakamichi MB75 1DIN 6CD Changer/Receiver, FIAMM Dual Air horns, Levoc Pedals, PIAA (H4 Superwhite H3 Ion Crystal, 168 SuperWhite)

2002 WRX MT- TEIN HA's with upper pillow mounts, 1000Miglia HT3 17x7 with sumitomo HTR+ 225/45/17, painted side skirts, Cusco front & rear strut bar, Whiteline rear swaybar, aluminum endlinks, Blitz NUR Catback, HKS seq. BOV, factory front lip, rear valance, Kartboy short shifter and bushings.

Future mods: dressup wheels with Potenza S03 225/45/17 tires, TurboXS UTec, maybe an uppipe. by then, it'll be fast enough.
fiamm dual air horns.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 11:31 PM   #4
pche059
AF Enthusiast

P10DET: Yea, but I am in New Zealand. I got hold of my camber kit through the official NZ Nissan Performance centre. They are also the people who built and race the NZ Primera Touring car. That camber makes an incredible change handling wise. Front -1.8 rear -1.0 gives it a characteristic of slight oversteering.

Koni or GAB? Are they the same length as the stock shocks? Could they handle springs that are 60mms lower than standard?
Old 09-24-2001, 11:39 PM   #5
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
P10DET: Yea, but I am in New Zealand. I got hold of my camber kit through the official NZ Nissan Performance centre. They are also the people who built and race the NZ Primera Touring car. That camber makes an incredible change handling wise. Front -1.8 rear -1.0 gives it a characteristic of slight oversteering.
BLOODY HELL! You don't say. Do they have a web site or e-mail address? How much was the kit? P10 or P11?

Quote:
Koni or GAB? Are they the same length as the stock shocks? Could they handle springs that are 60mms lower than standard?
My choice would be Konis. I think Japanese dampers have too much bounce damping and too little rebound damping. The extra bounce gives it more harshness and too little rebound gives it a jiggly feeling. Konis seem to be much better valved.

As for which would handle that much lowering, I think they would be about the same. What would be best is a shortened body damper that would give you some suspension travel back. You want to stay off the snubbers. If not your ride will be harsh and your handling could be dangerous.

I would get a coilover conversion if you want to run that low. Coilover conversions will allow you to run Eibach ERS race springs. This in turn will offer you a very wide range of spring rates and much higher rates as well.

I'm running KYB AGX (for all intents and purposes the same as GABs) with 275 lb fronts and 200 lb rears. I was running 340/275.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

Old 09-24-2001, 11:39 PM   #6
pche059
AF Enthusiast

Kenchan
JICs and GC?
never heard of them b4...brands available in New Zealand are rather limited Heard that the teins NA aren't really the best for damping?
Hey know much about the JWT cams? they seem to give a rather impressive increase in high end power. What kind of pricing do they go for?
Old 09-24-2001, 11:56 PM   #7
pche059
AF Enthusiast

P10DET: I will get their homepage address for you as soon as i get home Hey what do you think of modifying (shortening) the shocks and bumstops in order to prevent it from buttoming out?
BTW they offer a whole range of camber kits and other mod for Nissan vehicles.

Old 09-25-2001, 12:04 AM   #8
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Hey know much about the JWT cams? they seem to give a rather impressive increase in high end power. What kind of pricing do they go for?
They do indeed put down good numbers.

They run around $550 US. They also have their C series cams that put down even more impressive numbers, but they have a lumpier idle and give up low end to gain at the high end. They require replacing the valve springs with their own proprietary design springs (very different from most aftermarket springs) and ti retainers. They run around $1,200 US for the set IIRC.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)

Old 09-25-2001, 12:07 AM   #9
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
P10DET: I will get their homepage address for you as soon as i get home Hey what do you think of modifying (shortening) the shocks and bumstops in order to prevent it from buttoming out?
BTW they offer a whole range of camber kits and other mod for Nissan vehicles.
Outstanding!

I have lots of choices for camber correction for my Sentra SE-R (B13 with the SR20DE - a great car), but in The States there are no correction kits for the front of the P10 or P11.

If you have someone who can shorten the dampers, that is the ideal solution. Truechoice/Koni progressive bumpstops are really outstanding. Truechoice is a US company now owned by a fellow Kiwi BTW. But anyway, if you can shorten the dampers, that is critical for serious lowering like you are looking to do.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)

Old 09-25-2001, 12:22 AM   #10
pche059
AF Enthusiast

Cutting dampers and springs... Would this worsen the handling? Or even shorten the life of them? Hey what kind of figures are the SR20DEs outputing in the States? anything over 180hp at flywheel ? I have always wanted to take some VTECs out as I used to own one too.
Old 09-25-2001, 12:40 AM   #11
T4 Primera
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by P10DET

BLOODY HELL! You don't say. Do they have a web site or e-mail address? How much was the kit? P10 or P11?
Geo, here's another NZ company (besides the company that pche059 mentions) which specializes in performance Nissans. http://www.prestigeautomotive.co.nz
They advertise a camber kit for the P10 as well with prices in NZ$ - $390NZ or $156US for the camber kit. Enter the site, click on "road performance", scroll down and pick your vehicle. Have a good look around the site coz there's a lot there. I'd say the exchange rate US to NZ $ will make his prices competitive. The owner is Peter Van Brugel - he races nissan touring cars (including P10) and is very competitive here. Happy hunting

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are
so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts."
-- Bertrand Russell

Last edited by T4 Primera; 09-25-2001 at 08:04 AM.
T4 Primera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 01:16 AM   #12
pche059
AF Enthusiast

Hehe That is the company that I am talking about

Old 09-25-2001, 01:26 AM   #13
T4 Primera
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Hehe That is the company that I am talking about

:o Oops, sorry 'bout that, I was hoping you were going to show me another one. By the way, welcome to the forum, more and more Kiwis turning up here nowadays, maybe sometime in future we can all get together for meets, group discounts etc.

-- Benjamin Franklin

-- Bertrand Russell
Old 09-25-2001, 01:32 AM   #14
pche059
AF Enthusiast

hehe dude
that sounds real great
I am actually a NiZan member ..if you have heard of them before..
however..i still think we need a Primera club in NZ.
Hey is yours a p11? or a p10?
mine is a 99 96kw version...
I have got my airbox done by peter already..got a Super AFC installed too...but it is still...seriously under power especially around the high rev area... no torque come through after 5600 rpm?
We should ask Peter to import the JWT stuffs from the States, if we can form a Primera club ...
Old 09-25-2001, 02:09 AM   #15
T4 Primera
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
hehe dude
that sounds real great
I am actually a NiZan member ..if you have heard of them before..
however..i still think we need a Primera club in NZ.
Hey is yours a p11? or a p10?
mine is a 99 96kw version...
I have got my airbox done by peter already..got a Super AFC installed too...but it is still...seriously under power especially around the high rev area... no torque come through after 5600 rpm?
We should ask Peter to import the JWT stuffs from the States, if we can form a Primera club ...
No I haven't heard of NiZan, tell me more. I agree we need a Primera club. It's surprising there isn't one already considering Primeras are NZs most popular used import. 96kW? so I guess you got the De engine. Mine is a '91 AWD P10, 110kW stock- DE high port engine - pics at the link below. You got the airbox mod?? What do they do to it? Did the AFC make a difference? or need to be dyno tuned? I've never been to Pete's shop but I've spoken to him by phone. Do they give good service?? I'm guessing you're in Auckland then (Jaffa ), I'm in Hamilton. Did you get out to the Rally of NZ last weekend? Anyway, enough with the 20 questions, enjoy the forum and come back often.

-- Benjamin Franklin

-- Bertrand Russell

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Suspension