Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Mkbay
AF Newbie

Exclamation Looking for some advice from seasoned riders

Hi,

I'm looking to get into motorcycles, and I have always loved just about everything about them, but never really got into them, and frankly, I know just about nothing. General information about me, I'm going to be 17 when i get it, in the upcoming spring, (if I get one) and i'm 6'3, but will probably only grow another inch if i do, as my family is around 6'4.

After about a week or so of looking at some different things on google, I've figured out that as a new rider, i should go with a starter bike, I'm not really into sport bikes, and i love the look of cruisers, like the Suzuki S50.

I'm wondering what kind of cruiser should i start with, I've been saving up a bit of cash, and can sell other things, but I'm not looking to spend more then maybe 4 or 5 thousand, I don't want some super fast thing, just a fun, comfortable bike, that can go on highways.

Insurance would definitely be a concern for me, because of the price, I know it will be pricey as frankly looking at a 17 year old getting a motorcycle.. hell we do stupid things.

The bike that I'm looking at right now is the Suzuki s40, but i just saw the s50 today, i love the look of it. I was looking at this one specific website (linked below) and i love all the motorcycles that it is in competition with.

Basically, I'm looking for what i should start with, how much insurance will be, and is it possible to obtain the bike that you recommend in my price range?

-Max

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...43790-pa1.html
Mkbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
quick69gto
AF Regular

Re: Looking for some advice from seasoned riders

Those bikes are basically the old Suzuki Intruder. They made them in 700 or 800cc and 1400cc. You can pick them up for a whole lot cheaper than $5000. They made them clear back to the mid '80s I believe.
There is the Yamaha V-Star 1100 but you may want to invest in forward controls for it.
Even a 6'3, you will feel cramped on most bikes. Find a bike that you can easily find forward controls for.
The other thing most people consider when buying a metric bike is the sound. Most people look for a metric that sounds close to a Harley when they install aftermarket pipes on the metric.
The Suzuki Intruders and Yamaha V-Star sound real nice with aftermarket pipes but the only metric that sounds exactly like a Harley is the 1600/1700cc Yamaha Road Stars.
My Kawasaki 1500 Nomad sounds damn close also.
But those are very big bikes.
If it's sound you like in addition to looks, do not go for a Honda cruiser. They sound completely wrong with aftermarket pipes.
I would steer you towards a Harley but reliability and price has always been an issue with them. I know to many X-Harley riders (myself included) that have switched to metrics.
Good luck and stay safe.
quick69gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
quick69gto
AF Regular

Re: Looking for some advice from seasoned riders

Two more points:
Take the Abate motorcycle course (or something like it) before you get on any bike. It will save your life.
Wear a helmet. Full face gives the most protection but a half helmet like the police wear (and myself.....most of the time) is fine.
Be aware, if your bike doesn't have a windshield, you will get hit by everything that a windshield can stop (bugs, rocks, etc.). A Harley rider friend of mine took his windshield off one day before a ride, and during our ride, a Bumble Bee landed on his chest stinging the sh*t out of him. He made us all wait so he could turn around to go home and put his windshield back on. Luckily we were only a few miles from his place. He never took it off again.

I found Progressive insurance to be the best and the cheapest for my bike but you'll need to shop around. Someone else may be cheaper for you.

O.K. I'm done now.
Have fun.
quick69gto is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes