Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
TunesBlaze
AF Newbie

Question College Kid wants fast car

hey guys,
I know very little about cars so i'm struggling to find a car that I'm really comfortable buying. Ideally, I'd want a car with good gas milage, that is fast, and relatively cheap (like below $10 g's used). do you have any suggestions? I have looked at some audi's mazdas subarus and such but i have yet to zero in on a specific car model that I really really like
TunesBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: College Kid wants fast car

If you want something cheap,don't just look at purchase price.

Also look at maintenance, parts and service costs. Some cars, such as Audi's are more expensive to maintain than others.

Also take a close look at the insurance premiums of the cars you are interested in. Some decent-performing cars will be much cheaper to insure than others.

For cheap speed, look at older Mustangs made in the last 15 years or so, particularly the V8's. Cheap to buy, cheap and relatively easy to maintain, decently fast and sporty, fair handling, lots of information and support on the net. Insurance affordability is fair, but the newer base-model V6's are surprisingly fast, and cheaper to insure than the V8's.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
TunesBlaze
AF Newbie

Hey man,
thanks for the reply. so i'm just doing some research and it seems like a early 2000's stangs get a little worse gas mileage than something like a WRX. you think a stang would smoke the wrx?
TunesBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

The Mustang went through a number of variations in the last few years, some models and years are faster than others.
The WRX would definitely be faster when traction is less than perfect. Otherwise, it depends on the Mustang and the driver skill involved. But IMO there are WAY more used Mustangs out there than WRX's, their prices are often lower and they are a better deal for the speed you get.
The cheaper sale price can buy a lot of gas for a Mustang.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote