Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Hawkstein
AF Newbie

First car / 944

First off thanks in advance for any advice!
So I am looking to buy my first car, and I absolutely love the 944. Here are my main concerns:

-Reliability: I understand it is a relatively old car, however I have seen very mixed reviews as to the upkeep and repairs necessary for this car. How much can I expect per year in maintanence?

-Safety: Given that it is an older car, how safe is it? People say they are built well, but how might it hold up in a collision? (hopefully no accidents haha, but its good to know just in case:P)

-Ability in bad weather: How well does it work in the snow? The Rain?

-Options: (not really about the porsche) Are there any other used cars that are similar to the 944 that are reliable and affordable?

The main issue I have with these thing is that people don't describe how they use and maintain their car. I would not be launching this car, pushing it to its limit, reving it etc. (I do like performance, but I have always ben more interested in this car for its handling and looks than straight line speed). Basically, it would be my every day car (beater if you will) but I would be treating it very nicely, driving safe, and not pushing it too much.

Also, just want to mention that while I have no real experience with working on cars I am willing and eager to learn with normal things like the interior and oil changes etc. I just don't want to deal with anything huge very often.
Hawkstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: First car / 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstein View Post
First off thanks in advance for any advice!
So I am looking to buy my first car, and I absolutely love the 944. Here are my main concerns:

-Reliability: I understand it is a relatively old car, however I have seen very mixed reviews as to the upkeep and repairs necessary for this car. How much can I expect per year in maintanence?
How old? One thing about a Porsche is that ANY maintenance will be expensive. Think over $250 for a set of spark plug wires.

Quote:
-Safety: Given that it is an older car, how safe is it? People say they are built well, but how might it hold up in a collision? (hopefully no accidents haha, but its good to know just in case:P)
Google is your friend on this one.

Quote:
-Ability in bad weather: How well does it work in the snow? The Rain?
Google it. I knew a guy that had one in the 80s, he wouldn't drive in bad weather. But he polished it a lot....

Quote:
-Options: (not really about the porsche) Are there any other used cars that are similar to the 944 that are reliable and affordable?

The main issue I have with these thing is that people don't describe how they use and maintain their car. I would not be launching this car, pushing it to its limit, reving it etc. (I do like performance, but I have always ben more interested in this car for its handling and looks than straight line speed). Basically, it would be my every day car (beater if you will) but I would be treating it very nicely, driving safe, and not pushing it too much.
Until every dude with a fast car wanted to race you? If this will be your first car, I am willing to bet you won't be driving like Grandpa!

Quote:
Also, just want to mention that while I have no real experience with working on cars I am willing and eager to learn with normal things like the interior and oil changes etc. I just don't want to deal with anything huge very often.
For reliability it might be better to get something a bit less exotic for your first car. Everything on a Porsche is going to be difficult to work on, parts are expensive and something this old WILL require a lot of maintenance.

I hate to be negative but this isn't a good choice, unless you have a lot of extra money lying around.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A