Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Forester
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
JonnyU
AF Newbie

2003 Forester transmission/clutch problem?

I was sitting in my Forester with the engine running in neutral. Suddenly the car lurched forward and stalled. I restarted the engine and when I let the clutch out while in neutral, it moved forward and stalled again. I tried reverse and all the other gears and the car does not move at all. Any ideas on what is wrong?
JonnyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
RahX
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2003 Forester transmission/clutch problem?

Sounds like one of the forward gears has a bad needle bearing . The only way to find out which gear it is is to try to take off in each forward gear. The gear that is locked in might be hard to shift into and the car should move (1st or 2nd will move easily, 3rd/4th/5th probably won't move the car easily) normally depending on what gear it is. Engaging 2 gears at once will lock the transmission and the car will not move at all. At any rate, you will need to have the trans rebuilt or replaced.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
lfautos
AF Newbie

Subaru is a great car i love it
lfautos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
hobo26
AF Newbie

Start with the less expensive things first.. have your seals, fluids & reservoirs checked to insure there is no debris nor lack in fluid pressure for clutch operation viva proper shifting. Also check out the lines to the tranny, and make sure lines has free flow to tranny's clutch pack.
Also "listen" intently to any churning nose coming from tranny while in or out of gear.. The throw-out bearing normally will go first before clutch plate.. when it does, you'll hear it...
if it's quiet as a mouse..then the problem could be within the clutch..however, when the clutch is going out...you'll notice the clutch slipping when going up a steep hill in a higher gear.. also a scraping or grinding trying to put it into gear...
Since you did not mention any of these problems, leads me to believe that the problem is possibly within your clutch fluid and/or line to tranny.
A trustworthy trans. shop should be able check this out for you too and evaluate the problem..
**Major repairs are most often the cause from long term poor maintenance**
hobo26 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
neutral , problem , subaru , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Forester