Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
sparcx
AF Regular

Replace Rubber Gasket on Oil Filter Cap for 3.5L Intrigue?

If i understand correctly, there is a rubber o-ring for the oil filter cap. Has anyone ever had the need to change these?

The local lube place that i've been taking my car to for many years is now giving me grief about not doing these cartridge style filters anymore if the filter doesn't include the gasket. Apparently their employees have had problems with this too many times.

I've since found another place for oil changes that doesn't have any of these requirements, but those concerns about the gasket had me wondering.....

I know the normal Fram, Purolator, and AC Delco oil filters don't include an extra gasket inside. However, after doing enough searching, I did find that the Wix branded oil filter included an o-ring. Linked in the quote below... (Edit: see updates in the posts below as to why this o-ring included with the Wix filter should not be used long term in the intrigue)

Quote:
Wix Oil Filter 57090

Packed (O-Ring) Gasket Diameters: O.D. 2.631 I.D. 2.425 Thk. 0.103

Last edited by sparcx; 01-01-2011 at 10:46 AM.
sparcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LittleHoov
Re: Replace Rubber Gasket on Oil Filter Cap for 3.5L Intrigue?

Ive purchased the Wix filters before and never seen an o-ring. But if you can get your hands on a kit and see if it has one, go for it.

It seems like a waste of money to replace an o-ring thats probably not leaking and replace that o-ring every time you change your oil.

My suggestion would be to either take your car to a place that actually has competent employees, or do the oil changes yourself....Ive changed my own oil several times as have most people here and If Im like anyone else Ive never touched the o-ring or had the need to.
LittleHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
sparcx
AF Regular

I figured they were selling me some sort of line as a lot of vehicles these days have the cartridge style filters with the o-rings. In fact, some current generation Cadillac CTS and Chevy Camaros still use the same 3.5L intrigue oil filter. I believe it's why K&N and Mobil started making oil filters for our vehicle now.

You pretty much told me what i was expecting... that your 10 year old vehicle has never had an issue with a bad o-ring or leaking oil from the cap.

I did check the Wix at the local o'reilly auto and it did have an o-ring included, but i have no idea if it's as good as the OEM version.

Out of curiosity, i checked gmpartsdirect and found some part numbers. If i found the right part number.... surprisingly enough this runs about $27 to replace when including shipping. (Engine Oil Filter Seal GM Part Number 12560846)

There's an oil filter cap part number for $31 shipped, but no idea if that includes the o-rings or not. (Engine Oil Filter Valve CAP GM Part Number 12553683)
Old 12-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LittleHoov

Well that was going to be my other suggestion was to buy an entirely new cartridge holder. Surely it comes with an o-ring.

If youre interested in doing that, Id say stop by a dealership and have them look it up for you. Either that or call/e-mail gmpartsdirect. Ive only had to deal with their customer service once and they got me what I needed. So ive been 100% satisfied haha.

But thats brings us back to the fact its probably not leaking to start with. The only way I would know of to see if it is would be to either lay there and watch it for a while with the engine running. Or frequently check underneath your car anytime you park on a paved surface.

Ive never seen a drop of oil come from mine, and my oil consumption isnt any worse than most people here with the 3.5. I use a quart about every 3000 miles, and have no idea where it goes, and thats actually good compared to some folks.

As you pointed out my car is 10 years old, your car has to be 8 at the youngest. It probably wouldnt hurt to change the o-ring...once. But to change it every time you change the oil seems stupid to me.
LittleHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Tobey
AF Regular

From what I understand it's only the black o-rings some cars use which should be replaced every change. The green ones the Intrigues use should be good to go for years. My car is 10 years old, and I don't see a single crack on those o-rings.

Plus, if I remember correctly, the cap has TWO green o-rings. So both would have to fail at the same time to cause a leak. Not bloody likely....

They'll likely outlive the car.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
sparcx
AF Regular

that makes a lot of sense as to why the replacement o-rings cost so much as they're not the standard black o-rings.

I read something similar about other vehicles using green o-rings for the life of the vehicle. I didn't realize the intrigue also uses the same green o-rings.

That's pretty much the nail in the coffin on this topic. Thanks all for the info.

On a side note... The o-ring that is included with that wix filter is black. i.e. it should probably not be used to replace the green o-ring on the intrigue unless it's some sort of emergency. They may not be the same quality of o-ring.