Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Non-Performance
Non-Performance This is the place for all interior, exterior, and general non-performance modifcations.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
StangLady
AF Newbie

tire axle question?

So, I have a 2001 Mustang GT and for over a year now the front left tire axle has a major squeak when you turn the wheel. Almost ear piercing if you are right next to the tire. I've oil, greased, and lubed it up the best I can and I've had my dad, who is a mechanic, look at it but there has been no solution. I've heard of other people's Mustangs doing this too and it is really a nuissance. Any suggestions on how I can fix this awful noise? Thanks.
StangLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blue)(Fusion Send a message via Yahoo to Blue)(Fusion
Re: tire axle question?

When you say "turn the wheel" do you mean the actual wheel/axle being turned or when you turn the steering wheel?

If the wheel itself is making the noise, you may have to look into replacing the wheel hub/bearings.

If you mean it happens when turning the steering wheel, you've pinpointed the noise from actually coming from the driver side front wheel or the general area? When not moving, if you were to bounce that corner does it make any noise? If so it may be a ball joint.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
- 119k / 14.89s @ 92.11MPH [ pictures | videos ]
> Dual Flowmaster Delta 40s / J-Mod / PI Intake Manifold & Cams / Marauder Air Box & 80mm MAF / 3.55 Trac-Lok
> Bumper Tuck / Steeda UD Pulleys / CVPI Zip Tube / Ported & Polished Plenum / BBK 70mm TB
> BOC 93 Octane Tune / Headlight Relay Upgrade / 17mm rear stabilizer bar / Heinous Aluminum Billet Rear Control Arms
> CVPI aluminum driveshaft

Blue)(Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
StangLady
AF Newbie

I think it might be a balljoint bearing because it is when I actually turn the steering wheel while im driving or even parked. going over bumps it makes the same noise too that's why at first i thought it was the suspension but the shocks and everything are fine.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blue)(Fusion Send a message via Yahoo to Blue)(Fusion

Than it is very likely to be the upper or lower ball joint. Here is an example noisy ball joints, although on a different car.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
- 119k / 14.89s @ 92.11MPH [ pictures | videos ]
> Dual Flowmaster Delta 40s / J-Mod / PI Intake Manifold & Cams / Marauder Air Box & 80mm MAF / 3.55 Trac-Lok
> Bumper Tuck / Steeda UD Pulleys / CVPI Zip Tube / Ported & Polished Plenum / BBK 70mm TB
> BOC 93 Octane Tune / Headlight Relay Upgrade / 17mm rear stabilizer bar / Heinous Aluminum Billet Rear Control Arms
> CVPI aluminum driveshaft

Blue)(Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
StangLady
AF Newbie

Wow that video was so helpful! That is exactly what it sounds like! Thank you so much, I will definitely bring it to a mechanic and tell him that. Thanks again!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Non-Performance