Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 11:03 PM   #1
coavsray
AF Newbie

EGR Valve

I have a 2001 Pathfider, dtc# p1145 & p1441 both came up when I got the car scanned for service engine light. I believe that both are related to the EGR valve possibly sticking. I would like to clean out the ERG to see if it solves the SES light problem, but me being not so much of a mechanic, I am unsure where the ERG valve is located near the air intake, there are quite a few parts with plugs that look like they could be it to me. Anyone have an exact location for me?

Thanks in advance,
Eric
coavsray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:27 PM   #2
coavsray
AF Newbie

I found the egr valve and fully cleaned it and all components in and around it, and made sure it was dry before going back in. The service engine light is still on. Does anyone know of a manual way to clear the codes so I can see if the light comes back on, or does the ses light automatically turn off if the problem has been corrected?

Thanks,
Eric
coavsray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 10:15 PM   #3
88pathoffroad
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to 88pathoffroad Send a message via AIM to 88pathoffroad Send a message via Yahoo to 88pathoffroad
The Check Engine light will turn off automatically if the engine goes through 25 additional starting cycles without the code being re-tripped. So, if it re-trips that error code even once in the next 25 engine starts, I think the light will stay on. I got this info from another newer Pathfinder owner on another BBS, so don't quote me, cause it's not firsthand. You might ask the parts/repair dept over the phone at your local Nissan dealership.

88pathoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:10 PM   #4
d1bike
AF Newbie

Re: EGR Valve

I have the exact codes on my 2001 Pathfinder. I took it to the dealer and they are first saying its the Intake Sensor. They replaced it and it is still on. Oddly, the light came on after I filled the gas tank. Well, I left the station, when to to work, came home, then when I went to leave the light came on.

Not really sure what to believe, the dealer, potential gas cap (as I read on the web), water in the tank, or simply something else. The dealer describes it as EVAP VERY SMALL LEAK....so now I am wondering if it IS the gas cap.

Any other opinions on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coavsray
I have a 2001 Pathfider, dtc# p1145 & p1441 both came up when I got the car scanned for service engine light. I believe that both are related to the EGR valve possibly sticking. I would like to clean out the ERG to see if it solves the SES light problem, but me being not so much of a mechanic, I am unsure where the ERG valve is located near the air intake, there are quite a few parts with plugs that look like they could be it to me. Anyone have an exact location for me?

Thanks in advance,
Eric
d1bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 07:21 PM   #5
crawfordmd10
AF Newbie

Re: Re: EGR Valve

My SES light came on too immediately after refuelling. Took my 2001 Pathfinder to a hobby shop and P1145 showed up. Did some research and this code equated the the Bank 2 sensor. Not sure if there is an actual problem or just didn't tighten the gas cap all the way.

Anybody have any further info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1bike
I have the exact codes on my 2001 Pathfinder. I took it to the dealer and they are first saying its the Intake Sensor. They replaced it and it is still on. Oddly, the light came on after I filled the gas tank. Well, I left the station, when to to work, came home, then when I went to leave the light came on.

Not really sure what to believe, the dealer, potential gas cap (as I read on the web), water in the tank, or simply something else. The dealer describes it as EVAP VERY SMALL LEAK....so now I am wondering if it IS the gas cap.

Any other opinions on this?
crawfordmd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 07:51 AM   #6
lewisnc100
AF Enthusiast

Re: EGR Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88pathoffroad
The Check Engine light will turn off automatically if the engine goes through 25 additional starting cycles without the code being re-tripped. So, if it re-trips that error code even once in the next 25 engine starts, I think the light will stay on. I got this info from another newer Pathfinder owner on another BBS, so don't quote me, cause it's not firsthand. You might ask the parts/repair dept over the phone at your local Nissan dealership.
The Check Engine light stays on for a predetermined number of drive cycles which are quite different from engine starts. It gets pretty technical what is defined as an OBDII drive cycle but the code will eventually go away by itself if the error has been corrected. The alternative is to disconnect the battery for an hour or more (sometimes takes longer) and that will remove the error code. Keep in mind that this also clears your sensor memory from the computer and it might run rough until it relearns everything. If you do this just let it idle for 10-15 minutes when you restart it. Luckily on my 97 it has a diagnostic screw on the PCM that allows for reading and clearing of codes very easily without a scanner.
lewisnc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:44 PM   #7
jennjenn930
AF Newbie

SES light

I have a 2001 Pathfinder as well and when I hit around 50,000 miles my Service Engine Soon light came on. I immediately took it to the dealership and of course.... nothing was wrong. But of course, it was $75.00 to hook it up to some machine and then turn it off. I am right around 60,000 miles now and again here comes the light. I am hesitating taking it anywhere because I'd rather try and fix it myself. I tried diconnecting the battery yesterday, but maybe I didn't leave it off long enough because the light is still on. Any one have any other suggestions that I could try before I take it in and get ripped off (because I have no warranty left)!!
Thanks!
jennjenn930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:52 AM   #8
lewisnc100
AF Enthusiast

Re: SES light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennjenn930
I have a 2001 Pathfinder as well and when I hit around 50,000 miles my Service Engine Soon light came on. I immediately took it to the dealership and of course.... nothing was wrong. But of course, it was $75.00 to hook it up to some machine and then turn it off. I am right around 60,000 miles now and again here comes the light. I am hesitating taking it anywhere because I'd rather try and fix it myself. I tried diconnecting the battery yesterday, but maybe I didn't leave it off long enough because the light is still on. Any one have any other suggestions that I could try before I take it in and get ripped off (because I have no warranty left)!!
Thanks!
If you have an autozone nearby they will check the light for free if you aren't in California.
lewisnc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:13 PM   #9
jennjenn930
AF Newbie

Re: Re: SES light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisnc100
If you have an autozone nearby they will check the light for free if you aren't in California.

Well, I took it to a local Goodyear, who we go to regularly, and they couldn't hook the machine they had up to my car. So, I am off to Nissan tomorrow. My father also believes there could possibly be something wrong with my transmission. I hate going to Nissan because I'm going to get ripped off, but I'd rather get it over with. I'm actually going to take it in and have them take a look at it and see if they can tell me whats wrong with both problems, but not to fix anything.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:06 PM   #10
jennjenn930
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: SES light

Quote:
Well, I took it to a local Goodyear, who we go to regularly, and they couldn't hook the machine they had up to my car. So, I am off to Nissan tomorrow. My father also believes there could possibly be something wrong with my transmission. I hate going to Nissan because I'm going to get ripped off, but I'd rather get it over with. I'm actually going to take it in and have them take a look at it and see if they can tell me whats wrong with both problems, but not to fix anything.

They said it was the Rear O2 sensor---$250.00. Oh well!
Old 11-19-2003, 07:47 AM   #11
hill333
AF Newbie

EGR Valve problem

I recently had an intermittent problem with my Town & Country (@80,000 miles) which was similar with the Service Engine Soon light coming on. I took it to the dealer and they could not find a problem. I went through that process twice before I put tape over the light. Then one day I noticed that it had gone off and pulled the tape back off and bought my own code reader to clear codes if it came back on.

Anyway to cut to the chase, recently, I also started having a drivability issue which may or may not have been related to the Service Engine light. The vehicle just seemed to have lost the get up and go that it had when I first bought it and then it began to stall at stop lights or when taking turns. I went through lots of steps to remedy the problem, but I finally purchased a new EGR valve, which restored the power that I expect from the engine. The stalling issue remains to be determined but after looking at http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/dec97/egr.htm, what I've done makes logical sense to fix the problem, though I may have been able to somehow clean the old one and reinstall to save $90.

Anyway, I read through a lot of your postings and I would think the article listed above may help some of you.
hill333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:18 PM   #12
ldp01
AF Newbie

Unhappy Dtc P1145

So, I too have a trouble code of P1145, which from what I can tell in my Haynes book equates to a "variable valve timing sensor or circuit (bank 2)".

Anyone know what that is?

AutoZone was able to detect it and shut off the "Service Engine Soon" light, but it came back on the next day.

I don't think it's releated to the EGR valve, but I could be wrong...if anyone has solved this P1145 issue, please, please respond.

Thanks
ldp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #13
SCPathfinder
AF Newbie

Re: SES light

Quote:
They said it was the Rear O2 sensor---$250.00. Oh well!
I found one at http://www.nissan-auto-parts-dealer.com/ that I bought for $51.58 plus shipping. I had my mechanic install it while he was changing my oil for a few bucks extra, total cost, with shipping, tax, and install was less then $100. Looking at the diagram in the book, I would think that most people who are handy could install this in about 30 min or less. What a crock that the dealer tells you, and wants to charge you for 2.5 to 3 hrs of work..

Oh, almost forgot, I think it was listed on their site as a CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR, but on my invoice it says VTC Sensor. They do have a contact form, so might be good to double check with them.
SCPathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #14
smarine
AF Newbie

Re: EGR Valve & Bank 2 Sensor 2 Oxygen sensor

I have a 2001 PF. They recalled the EGR's and I had mine replaced for no charge. I just wanted to let everyone know that.

I am now dealing with an O2 sensor (error code 158 & 159) at this time which is a Bank 2 Sensor 2 oxygen sensor.

FYI, according to Autozone, there are apparently 5 sensors in this auto (Bank 1 Sensor 1, Bank 1 Sensor 2, Bank 1 Sensor 3, Bank 2 Sensor 1, Bank 2 Sensor 2). Bank 2 Sensor 2 (my issue) is apparently near the tailpipe on driver's side. Does anyone have a diagram of the location of this sensor and/or any information about how to change it? I am going to try to do it myself. It costs $200.00 to replace it at Kwik Car Lube (Tx) and only takes 5-15 minutes. Part costs $79.99 from Autozone (this is an exact fit- there are also universal fits which are cheaper but you have to do some converting on one part of it so the wires are not exposed under the auto only saving $20). The guy at Autozone says that it is located after the Cadillidic converter (like I know what that is). Also there is rumors that you have to bring it to the dealership to have the "check engine light" (AKA ecm) turned off, just disconnect one of your cables to your battery while you do the work and by the time you finish reconnect and the check engine light will go off (which will mess your clock and radio stations up) or just let whoever changes your oil turn it off for you without those loses.

HELP!!

Thanks,
Kimberly
smarine is offline   Reply With Quote