Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > JDM Motor & Parts info/chat
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
JDM Motor & Parts info/chat Discussions on Mugen, Spoon etc. Plus, info on motor swaps (b18 's, b16's h22's etc) and other JDM info!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
BearSol
AF Newbie

New Engine for my Sol

I have the stock 93 si engine in my Sol and want to throw in a new one. Question #1: Will a b16a2 make much more of a difference or should I look for a better engine? If so what?
Question #2: If I get a b16a2 will my stock tranny ect... work with it? Or will I need to order the works?

P.S. Just got my Del Sol so I'm getting to know it before I mod the hell out of it. Thanks.
BearSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
zerocrxsi
AF Newbie

the b16 will make a diffrence but having owned 2 b16 si's not very impressed by them
have u considered b20/ls vtec or even rebuilding your d15 n boosting these options arent that much expensive
zerocrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
_93civchatch_
AF Regular

Re: New Engine for my Sol

i would stick with the b16... great engine and lots of aftermarkets you can bolt on... there are other engines out there but im not sure how hard they are to put into the sol, if i were to get a different engine than the b16, it would have to be the b18c1, or if you can get the b18 block, get the vtec head like he said for the ls vtec up above..^^^^^
_93civchatch_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:46 AM   #4
zerocrxsi
AF Newbie

yea but bolt ons will only get you so far.....try this look for a dohc vtec (b16) del sol on the autotrader go test it out (pretend like your interested in buying it) then see how you like it... i would recomend not getn a b16 swapped in the sol cus their fairly heavy (for the size of the car) so you would have spend all that money n still get beat by stock gsr's and a b18c does sound nice but r u willing to pay an extra 1000 for 10hp and 20 ft of tourque? since your in no need of an engine i would recomend building a ls vtec or building the engine you have
Old 06-30-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
BearSol
AF Newbie

You sure it won't make much difference? Cause the one I got only has a single cam. 123hp, not exactly impressive. And will the b18c be lighter than the b16a2? If so perhaps it'll be worth the extra grand. Because what I'm doing with the rest of my car is drastic weight reduction. My car being so light just stock, getting rid of 700lbs is already going to nock up my accelleration like crazy, if the b16a2 is going to ruin all the weight reduction I'm doing. Then there is no point in having a light car. I'd be better off with a 2000 Civic SI.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:54 PM   #6
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx

B series don't weight nearly enough to make them not worth swapping in. No, your current D16Z6's tranny will not work, and a Sol would be better suited by a 1.8 GSR motor.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:56 PM   #7
diegoaccord
AF Regular

Yeah, the TQ and HP numbers on B18C1 VS B16A don't seem like much, but look what near identical car run with each motor. A GSR powered car will beat a B16 car by a damn near second in the 1/4.

A stock Si Sol with a B16 swap or Sol VTEC will do the 15.7 range

A GSR Sol will do 14.8 easily.

I have a Coupe which is a heavy car as well. I went from the motor you have, to a B16....Look at my sig.

EJ1 Civic Si . Screw Hatchbacks. Coupes just look better. Period...
diegoaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Yea, but your car's all fucked up. Don't quote your fucked up auto B16A with a LS tranny to anothers.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #9
superbluecivicsi
AF - Advisor

any b series will give you nice gains over your current motor. anyone saying this b series is no good, doesnt know what they are talking about, or, doesnt know what they are doing. who cares about the weight of the block?

owning 3 b16s, they are great blocks to work with. the price you pay for one takes you a long way.

do a search for facts, not opinions.
FS: B series InlinePro cast mani, PnH RC 550s, and Hondata S2b. pm me.
superbluecivicsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:24 PM   #10
Ace$nyper
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ace$nyper Send a message via MSN to Ace$nyper Send a message via Yahoo to Ace$nyper
Re: Re: New Engine for my Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoaccord
Yeah, the TQ and HP numbers on B18C1 VS B16A don't seem like much, but look what near identical car run with each motor. A GSR powered car will beat a B16 car by a damn near second in the 1/4.

A stock Si Sol with a B16 swap or Sol VTEC will do the 15.7 range

A GSR Sol will do 14.8 easily.

I have a Coupe which is a heavy car as well. I went from the motor you have, to a B16....Look at my sig.
a sol isn't so much more then a 4th gen hatch to add a full second!

well 13.9 for me and its sill slow
Ace$nyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:38 PM   #11
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbluecivicsi
any b series will give you nice gains over your current motor. anyone saying this b series is no good, doesnt know what they are talking about, or, doesnt know what they are doing. who cares about the weight of the block?

owning 3 b16s, they are great blocks to work with. the price you pay for one takes you a long way.

do a search for facts, not opinions.
Deigo is just pissed because he got smoked in his ls trannied auto B16A by a girl.

Seriously, anyone that has driven a normal B16A will tell you with conviction that it is a great leap from a D series anything, even in a DelSol.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:02 PM   #12
zerocrxsi
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearSol
You sure it won't make much difference? Cause the one I got only has a single cam. 123hp, not exactly impressive. And will the b18c be lighter than the b16a2? If so perhaps it'll be worth the extra grand. Because what I'm doing with the rest of my car is drastic weight reduction. My car being so light just stock, getting rid of 700lbs is already going to nock up my accelleration like crazy, if the b16a2 is going to ruin all the weight reduction I'm doing. Then there is no point in having a light car. I'd be better off with a 2000 Civic SI.
actually a sol does weight as much as a civic ex/si and theres no way you are going to "get rid" of 700lbs there isnt much to get rid of in a sol the reason there so heavy is because of the targa top reinforced(?) support beams or some shit like dat look it up in the consumerguide.com sols weight about 2400-2500lbs which is about da same as a si.....yea you should look into a gsr motor....or b20/ls vtec yea baby!
Old 07-01-2005, 11:56 AM   #13
BearSol
AF Newbie

1st of all, I was over-exagerating the weight to prove a point, not to be taken literally. 2nd, there is alot more dead weight than you think. Ever ripped out the back interior of a Sols cab? There is a large, VERY heavy steel piece between the trunk and the cab. Don't remove all of it, not wise. But shave it in areas where it won't reduce structural integrity and replace it with a lighter material... or if you don't care about safety, leave it open.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #14
BearSol
AF Newbie

I've seen the specs, been looking for a while. They're isn't enough of a power difference for me to get hung up on. It's the weight that bothers me. The weight of the engine. And BTW, whomever said the Del Sol weights as much as a Civic SI, you should actually try weighting them. My old roommate has a 2000SI and we took our cars to get weighted. No contest. The Targa is now carbon, and being the one who takes it off and on. I tell you now, there is a large weight difference than the stock. Carbon Targe, Carbon Trunk, Carbon Spoiler, Carbon Hood, and still got more plans for weight reduction. Trust me, you can get it lighter.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:06 PM   #15
BearSol
AF Newbie

Btw, any of you know a good photographer, cause my car is screaming for a snapshot.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > JDM Motor & Parts info/chat