Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
grannys93Transport
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to grannys93Transport
wacky wiper syndrom w/wacky AC too!

WOW! This is a great place for info. I learned alot about the wacky wipers but did anyone have the a/c doing the same thing at the smae time?
My problem: wipers worked some and not most in the begining. Now they don't except on very rare occasions. (and never during a rain storm)
Sometimes they will make one swipe if I hit a BIG bump. I will look at the circuirt board and most likely replace it as that seems to be the answer to other posts. The A/C also acts the same way! Sometimes it blows out cold (very cold) air and then suddenly goes to blowing uncooled air. Had it recharged last summer and it didn't even take 2 cans to fill it.

I was told (by someone I don't know, just happened to be at the same place having the same wiper trouble) that it was a wiring problem. That the wipers and a/c are in the same wiring harness and is hard to run down and expensive to take to repair shop. I don't know how reliable this info is. So if any of you experts have any ideas on the a/c problem and/or if there is a connection of the two problems, please please help me.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

About wipers: if you can remove the motor (very easy, against all odds) and handle a soldering gun, you do not need to replace the circuit board: just redo the soldering as told in previous posts. I had endured mine for years and then read the posts, and fixed it in less than 1 hour at no cost. FANTASTIC, they work .
This circuit board has no relation to the A/C so the problem with your A/C is somewhere else. Make sure there is no corrosion on contacts at the low pressure switch (front of car, passenger side, left (standing in front of the car) of radiator. I did not experience your type of problem, so keep us posted on your findings.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:38 AM   #3
bessina
AF Newbie

Hi
to test the A/C-compressor indepent from the ECM and all the sensors, you have to build an interface (www.pontiac-interface.de), download the free program 'Motordiagnose" from www.pontiac-transsport.de, connect it to the ALDL-connector and activate the A/C with the F4-key on your computer.

(if you have a 3.8 or 2.3)

greetings
Bessi
bessina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
dgm777@yahoo.com
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to dgm777@yahoo.com
Thumbs up 96 Transport Wacky Wipers

Ok - this is a cool site. I found out I am NOT ALONE with my wacky wipers. I know what I have to do, but where the heck is this circuit board. I just took a look under the hood and could not find it. Can someone guide me to where this little monster is? I see I can buy these boards on ebay cheaper than $35, but I want to get the right one. Thanks all!

Daryl
dgm777@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:18 PM   #5
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: wacky wiper syndrom w/wacky AC too!

YOu have to REMOVE THE WIPER MOTOR ASSEMBLY. Although it looks out of reach, it is a rather easy job.
The circuit board is built in the motor module.
Then look at this

http://james.jaguar.net/subtopics/WiperFix.htm

It tells about a Suburban but this is same assembly for Transport.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:23 AM   #6
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Last edited by LMP; 01-28-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:29 PM   #7
dgm777@yahoo.com
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to dgm777@yahoo.com
Re: Re: wacky wiper syndrom w/wacky AC too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
YOu have to REMOVE THE WIPER MOTOR ASSEMBLY. Although it looks out of reach, it is a rather easy job.
The circuit board is built in the motor module.
Then look at this

It tells about a Suburban but this is same assembly for Transport.
I can see only the bottom of control arms that come off of motor. Do I need to remove interior dash to get at it? Do I need to remove felt like substance above the engine. I'm sorry, but I just don't see how to even access this motor and or board assembly.

Daryl
dgm777@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:40 PM   #8
LMP
AF Enthusiast

What year model do you have? What I have posted is from the '93 service manual, which is my car. I'ts good for all from '93 to '96. '92 and before, the whole wiper assembly had to be removed first because the motor could not exit sideways (there was a hole in the support and motor had to go UP and there was no room for that. In '93, it is an opened U shaped hole so the motor exits sideways through the U.
And i'ts totally accessible from the engine compartment: Yes, at first, I thought one could not do it but in fact it proved easy to remove the motor: you need good lighting, locate the nuts; what you cannot see with your eyes, you look with your fingertips,... and...you can end up with a neckache.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:29 PM   #9
pvsion
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: wacky wiper syndrom w/wacky AC too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm777@yahoo.com
I can see only the bottom of control arms that come off of motor. Do I need to remove interior dash to get at it? Do I need to remove felt like substance above the engine. I'm sorry, but I just don't see how to even access this motor and or board assembly.

Daryl

God the list goes on and on with these vehicles. The wippers were making me crazy until I found this site. Im not crazy. they have a mind of thier own. People comment on them when they are in my van. The lights had to just be replaced because of a seal leak and my rear hatch window is slidding off its seal. I just did the recall with the power stearing. I just paid to have my brakes and tie rods replaced. My ABS light Had to be fixed. The heating system is wako. Even the seat belts. I have been reading a lot about these models and I am finding so much wrong with them. The materials used had to be defective ... GM probably purchased some bad materials and used them. I am a bit cocncerned now for my saftey with this van. How say you? I say we go forth with a class action after all I have read!

K.Griffin
pvsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:31 PM   #10
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

the motor is located on the passenger side, just below the windshield, at the end of the silver transmission assembly
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:21 PM   #11
pvsion
AF Newbie

Thank you for the information. We are trying to get our car in shape for winter. I just had the rear window fixed because it was coming off. It was literally sliding off and the only thing holding on was the rear wiper. Also i have read about the gas gauge reading high when low. i have seen the needle just flick over. It flucuates back and forth if its not full. Im a little disappointed to read all these things wrong with our van because we neede a new vehichle back when we bought it and thought it was a great buy and great van for the family but after all the common problems I have read I am calling this Van a LEMON!

Thanks Again
K. Griffin
pvsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:23 AM   #12
Icarus3000
AF Newbie

Angry Where to buy circuit board?

We have a 1995 Pontiac Transport.

We were having problems with our wipers - they only work on high and do not park.

I brought the car in to my garage, and was told that the circuit board is burnt out - ok I wasn't too surprised. BUT the mechanic told me that on this model car the circuit board and the wiper motor are sold as a single unit, and I cannot just replace the circuit board. I told him that I heard otherwise, but he said I was wrong!

So... can someone please tell me the truth? If it is possible to purchase a replacement circuit board for the wipers on a '95 Transport, can someone suggest a source for parts? Something in Toronto would be ideal, but could also buy over the internet.

Many thanks!
Icarus
Icarus3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:59 AM   #13
LMP
AF Enthusiast

You probably read through that thread and saw those links:

www.avigex.ca/xport/wiper1.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/wiper2.jpg

Before getting to conclusion of a "burned" card, first make sure it does not simply have the common cold solder problem that costs nearly 0$ to fix.

Or course the GM stealer wants to sell the whole car if possible. THe card is usually available easily at e-bay around $25.. I even think suburban listings are the same as for transport.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:14 AM   #14
Icarus3000
AF Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately, since I don't have a good relationship with a local mechanic, and my one and only attempt to solder something was a complete disaster, I don't think a $0 solution is likely for me

I called the mechanic again to ask about it, and they said that the pulse board is not sold as an authorized GM part, only aftermarket. I found one on ebay for $25 so I think I'll give that a try.

One quick question, the talk of "cold soldering" is a bit over my head - even if that is the problem, would replacing the circuit board still solve it?

Many thanks,
Icarus
Icarus3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:15 AM   #15
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Hopefully, the solders on the new board should be OK so yes, this will solve the problem.
and....you are left with a board for getting experienced with the soldering gun.......

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport