Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > JDM Motor & Parts info/chat
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
JDM Motor & Parts info/chat Discussions on Mugen, Spoon etc. Plus, info on motor swaps (b18 's, b16's h22's etc) and other JDM info!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
EG_Civic
AF Regular

JDM H22A in an EG Civic Hatch??

Hey I searched for this topic and could not find so here goes. I have a friend who was going to swap an H22 into his CRX, but a guy at a local tuning shop said the motor would be way too heavy for the car. With the understanding that more displacement means more weight, is it a good choice for a swap? Im not familiar with the weight of the CRX but surely the Civic weighs more.I dont know whether the weight would be too much or not. I priced one at total-boost for $3700.00 while a B18C was $4400.00. Has anyone done this swap or know of someone who has? If anyone could give me any info, or point me to some, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks
EG_Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
MastaCivic
AF Enthusiast

Re: JDM H22A in an EG Civic Hatch??

Quote:
Originally Posted by EG_Civic
Hey I searched for this topic and could not find so here goes. I have a friend who was going to swap an H22 into his CRX, but a guy at a local tuning shop said the motor would be way too heavy for the car. With the understanding that more displacement means more weight, is it a good choice for a swap? Im not familiar with the weight of the CRX but surely the Civic weighs more.I dont know whether the weight would be too much or not. I priced one at total-boost for $3700.00 while a B18C was $4400.00. Has anyone done this swap or know of someone who has? If anyone could give me any info, or point me to some, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks
First of all, Total-Boost is WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY overpriced. Hmotorsonline.com has h22s for around $2200 and b18c's for around $2900 for EG Civics. Second of all, the h22a is a great motor if you want to go n/a or stay reasonable with boost(6-8psi). The thin cylinder walls have a problem with boost but I see no problem if you bought some Darton Sleeves, so even higher boost would be fine if you make sure your build your bottom end right. Third of all, the weight factor is not really that big of a damn problem everyone, just slap on some Integra front springs and maybe some better shocks and you'll have no problem with the extra weight of an h motor. Fourth of all(don't know why I'm still adding "of all" but deal with it) the only real problem with this swap is that you might(not if you do it right) lose your a/c, you will have to use aftermarket engine mounts,the swap overall is harder than a b-series swap, and you probably would want to look into buying a better radiator(but that's a good idea for any situation) H motors are torque monsters so I would also look into better traction control because on stock tires and no traction control, you will spin the tires constantly.

Overall, if you feel like you could have the patience to go with a harder swap, then I would definately go with a H22 because they are very powerful motors n/a or boosted.

P.S. If I said anything incredibly wrong or spelled anything incredibly wrong, please feel free to correct me because I'm to tired to search back through and correct anything.
MastaCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 11:32 PM   #3
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

Definently a good swap. My friend swapped it in his 95 4dr last winter and the thing halls. I don't see why it would be a problem getting it into a CRX even; it's been done before. But of course you'd have to get a lot of custom work to get it to fit in the engine bay. Definently get better springs. My friend is getting adjustable shocks because the rear of the car pulls down too much when he launches and shifts gears (when he's racing) i believe but not positive; and hurts his 1/4 mile time. And if you plan on a turbo make sure you've got the closed deck block, I've heard that it's a bad idea to turbo the open deck ones.
Links: http://h22hybrid.20m.com/ Very informative site on the whole site.
http://www.h22a.org Go to the forums area and there is a lot of information and quite a few people who have done the swap.
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:29 AM   #4
EG_Civic
AF Regular

Re: Re: JDM H22A in an EG Civic Hatch??

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that total boost was a little high. Im glad to hear that the weight is not a big issue. Ill keep stiffer springs in mind when I get to doing it.

Thanks again
EG_Civic is offline   Reply With Quote