Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics Discuss different body kits, body work in general, and all types of exterior modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
jveik
AF Enthusiast

basecoat clearcoat question

im going to be applying a basecoat/clearcoat to my truck and i was wondering about something concerning it. my garage doesnt get fast enough airflow through it or something, so i have noticed that there is a considerable amount of overspray getting stuck on the primer layers and requiring extensive wet sanding with guide coats. im assuming this will happen to the basecoat of the base/clear system, but i have heard that you must apply the clear pretty much right after the base coat dries... this would not allow me the time needed to wetsand all the junk out of the basecoat... is it okay if i let the base dry if necessary and wetsand it before applying clearcoat or would the clear not achieve proper adhesion if i did this?

i might try to get a more powerful exhaust fan, im using an older furnace fan from my old furnace system in the house, mounted in the wall of the garage . it tends to fail from time to time, so it isnt exactly a reliable air mover lol...
jveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
astroracer
AF Regular

Re: basecoat clearcoat question

1). What kind of gun are you using? Is it setup correctly? What tip size are you using to spray primer?
2). Do you have a good crossflow setup with your squirrel cage? A couple of furnace filters set in a wall or door across from the blower to allow better draw will help with ventilation.
3). It is not recommended to sand the Base before topcoating. Fix your airflow or gun problem and save yourself a lot of work.
Mark
Old 04-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
jveik
AF Enthusiast

Re: basecoat clearcoat question

1)well, for the primer im using a conventional siphon type of gun with a pretty large tip size. i was using an hvlp before with a smaller 1.4 or 1.7 or something like that size tip, and it was very bad at flowing the primer well...

2)i plan on getting better ventilation for the actual color coats and clear coats as well as a more dust-free environment. also, i think i will be needing to grind off some undercoating on the frame and ground it out so that dust wont be attracted to the truck by static electricity

3) as for the sanding... would there be no orange peel in the actual color coat then? i have been getting the impression that one would have to wetsand the color coat with fine grit paper, then put the clear on, and also wetsand that as well. So basically, from what youre saying, is the orange peel just from the clearcoat and not from the color coat? i have been pondering a lot about that
jveik is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics