Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Drifting
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 01:18 AM   #1
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

To Answer All Drift Car Selection Questions

All right. So you want to drift? You've been to D1. You've watched Initial D, Drift Bible, Option, Best Motoring, etc. You went out with some friends to Hyperfest or another US sanctioned drift event. You're psyched and want to try this out.

So you want to know what car to use?

Well, here's a handy dandy list of potential candidates and opinions of them. Included are some average prices and pictures so that you know what the fuck you're looking for.

This is not intended to be an all inclusive list, but moreover a set of guidelines that can then be interpreted after the fact.

Keep in mind, this list refers to cars available in the United States. If you want to drift a 25GT Skyline or MkII Tourer, get on the phone with an importer. Besides, if you knew those cars off the top of your head why in the hell are you reading this list?

Car #1: 1983-1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S (aka: AE86, Hachi-Roku)

Engine: 1.6L DOHC 4cylinder - 4AGE (approx 130hp)
Trans: 5spd
Average cost: Between $500 and $2500 depending on condition and location (domestic car strongholds like the Midwest tend to have much fewer than more import friendly areas)

Pros - inexpensive, beginner friendly, sturdy engine and trans, bulletproof solid axle rear suspension, good JDM parts support.
Cons - scarce, not much power potential, good examples getting pricey, poor stateside parts support.

Generally considered the posterchild of drifting, and the star car of the animated series Intial D, the Corolla GT-S is a common beginners car that is a good learning car.

Car #2: 1989-1994 Nissan 240SX (aka: S13)

Engine: 2.4L SOHC/DOHC four cylinder - KA24DE (approx 140hp SOHC, 155hp DOHC)
Average cost: Between $900 and $3000

Pros - solid handling, torquey 2.4L DOHC four, multi-link rear suspension, potent JDM engine swaps and good parts support
Cons - 1994 model year was convertible/automatic trans only, SOHC four is weak sauce and the DOHC didn't show up until 1991, JDM swap engines pricey with poor availability of replacement and maintenance parts.

The S13 is the standard of all things drift. They're common as crabgrass at drift meets and becoming passe as the drift movement gains momentum. They are good cars, and if you don't mind not standing out from the crowd it's hard to go wrong with a 1989-1994 Nissan 240SX.

Car #3: 1995-1998 Nissan 240SX (aka S14)

Engine: 2.4L DOHC four cylinder - KA24DE (approx 160hp)
Average price: between $1,500 and $7,000

Pros: more stock power than the older S13, wider track, bigger wheel wells fit wider tires,
Cons: longer wheelbase, pricey, heavier than the S13

While the inexpensive S13 steals the glory, the S14 is a more discreet and somewhat more refined drift machine. If you're willing to pay up, it's as good if not better than the S13 in many ways.

Car #4: 1985-1992 Mazda RX-7 (aka FC)

Engine: two row 1.3L rotary engine, available with turbocharger - 13B (approx 160hp N/A, 200hp turbocharged)
Average price: varies on condition and trim level, anywhere from $700 to $8,000

Pros: Quick handling, great power from rotary engines, wide track, reasonably light weight
Cons: expense of maintenance, higher mileage examples tend to be problematic, poor fuel mileage

The RX-7 is a true sports car in amongst sports coupes, and the rotary engine is a marvel of technology and engineering. But the strength that is the 13B rotary is also the RX-7's weakness. Don't go into this car without a good fund of repair money "just in case" or without fair knowledge of the fundamental differences between a regular engine and a rotary.

Car #5: 1986-1993 Ford Mustang GT (aka Fox Body)

Engine: 5.0L OHV V8 (power varied through the years, between 205 and 225hp)
Average Price: between $500 and $5000

Pros: ubiquitous (that means they're friggin' everywhere), tons of performance potential, huge aftermarket, dead nuts reliable drivetrain
Cons: kinda heavy, not exactly corner carving demons from factory, mediocre fuel economy, import guys laugh and boo you for driving a domestic.

The Fox body Mustangs are amongst the best selling performance cars of the 80's, and the potential to build a 300hp, 1.0g skidpad pulling import beater is there. If you're willing to dig into the suspension and correct the car's tendency to lean and understeer, and don't mind import guys giving you a hard time, this car is a great choice.

Okay, you other guys in this forum. You see how this is supposed to work. I left a bunch of other cars on the table, like Starions, SA22C RX-7's, 3rd and 4th gen Camaros, and so on. Go ahead and get to it.

Last edited by Layla's Keeper; 04-07-2004 at 02:16 AM.
Layla's Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:47 AM   #2
drftk1d
boost in, apex seals out

Send a message via AIM to drftk1d
Re: To Answer All Drift Car Selection Questions

Thanks Octy.
drftk1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:45 PM   #3
Bunta
AF Regular

Nifty.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:33 AM   #4
Corey I RanciD
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Corey I RanciD

In the S14: "more stock power than the older S13"

This is incorrect. The S13 and S14 were rated with the same power, 155hp @ 5600 RPM and 160ft-lbs. @ 4400 RPM. The S14s have more aggressive ECU tuning but only 232 duration cams (intake and exhaust). The 91-early 93 S13s have a 240 duration intake cam and 248 duration exhaust cam.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:59 PM   #5
Dorikin
AF Fanatic

BMW 325is

M3 pictured.

Engine: 2.5L Inline 6, fuel injection on iS and xi models.
Trans: 5 speed manual, 4 speed auto
Price:Anywhere from $1500(project car) to $8500 USD for a no winters, mint, bone stock low mileage car.

Pros: Great Handling, Stock 2way LSD, lots of power(Inline 6 engine that sounds great and makes around 160 hp and 160lb.ft torque), ubiquitous, handles on rails, trunk mounted battery. Women appreciate the badge, for those of you that want a "hot ride".

Cons: May be a bit of a porker, 50/50 weight blanace makes for neutral handling, major parts are expensive, steering rack isnt the greatest for drift.

The E30 chassis 3 series is a long time favriote of drag, road and autocross racers. It should be lightened abit, and should be given a bit more power, which can be obtained throguh the usual bolt ons. LSDs are great, and these cars have a bit of oversteer dialed in on them, which helps. Turbo kits are avalible, however you dont need one in the beggining by any means. The S13 steering rack is rumored to bolt in, and this swap should probably be taken into serious consideration.

Overall an under-rated drift car that has loads of potential. The newer E36 chassis can also be drifted, and done well, as I saw at the DGTA event in Miami, but you need the aftermarket Quaife diff, which is kinda pricey.
Derek: Haha AF Sig Material
Dorikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:02 PM   #6
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

You guys just had to throw in that 5.0... didn't you?

Cars not mentioned you should consider:

Toyata MR2: AW11 and SW20

Toyata Supra: JZA70 and JZA80

Toyata Altezza/Lexus IS300: all years.

Nissan Silvia/Datsun/Nissan 200sx: S12

Nissan 300zx: Z31

...these are of course all RWD and most are affordable!

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:16 PM   #7
Soyo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Soyo

The S2000's aren't the greatest drift cars but they can do it, thats for sure, I've seen a couple killer S2k's on some videos so I know its very possible

Skylines and some other AWD cars can drift as well, some can even be turned into RWD I believe, not sure how its done but google can teach you whatever you need.

I'd help out with the pictures and info but I have work tonight, and I can't upload pictures for some reason... anyone else having the "fatal error" problem?

S15's re obviously good drift cars, come right along with the other S-chasis cars(S13, S14) lots of extra goodies too, plus more powerful engine

you can still put J-spec cars on here, just mention that they aren't available in the US incase some wierdo doesn't know
HKS Blow-Off Valve, Stainless brake and clutch lines
Soyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:45 PM   #8
Bunta
AF Regular

Some Skylines are FR's... but that's not important right now.

I'd like to bring to light the subject of the Infinity M30. They are based on the R30 (desig?) and some even have manual transmissions. They would make great drift cars. I'm fairly certain you could put skyline brake/suspension mods on them, and NA tuning is fun. They didn't turbo them because the steering gets in the way. This is one reason they never imported the skyline. I believe weight reduction would be a good idea on these cars...
Old 04-10-2004, 12:33 AM   #9
drftk1d
boost in, apex seals out

Send a message via AIM to drftk1d

drftk1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:05 AM   #10
Dorikin
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: To Answer All Drift Car Selection Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunta
Some Skylines are FR's... but that's not important right now.

I'd like to bring to light the subject of the Infinity M30. They are based on the R30 (desig?) and some even have manual transmissions. They would make great drift cars. I'm fairly certain you could put skyline brake/suspension mods on them, and NA tuning is fun. They didn't turbo them because the steering gets in the way. This is one reason they never imported the skyline. I believe weight reduction would be a good idea on these cars...
Brian(Suislide) used to have one actually. They have a VERY primative version of the TEIN EDFC, not made by TEIN, but same prinicple(little nodes on the shocks to tighten them up). The car is really called the F31 aka Nissan Leopard in japan, however they are similar to the R31 Skyline. None of them came with manual tranny's but the manual swap can be done. I have step by step instructions on how to do it.

This car is heavy and very luxurious so weight reduction is in order. The engine is a VG30E, a VG30DE from a J30 will bolt in, and you can use the LSD from the J30t. A VG30DETT will not fit though. An RB20 or an SR20 can also fit.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:10 PM   #11
yellowrx3
AF Newbie

what about A Nissan cefiro? -the winner of D1NZ (new zealand drift championship) Usd one to good effect beating many s13`s ,s14`s ,s15`s ,180`s ,RWD skylines,Ae85-86`s ,etc,etc.Over the 6 rounds last year.
See My Gallery.

Or Visit www.d1nz.co.nz
yellowrx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:31 PM   #12
Dorikin
AF Fanatic

Cefiros rock but arent sold in North America. You should rebuild the RB20 if you want 1bar or more boost and it has over 100,000km on the clock.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:12 PM   #13
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Good to see we have plenty of responses. Basically, I've put this thread here to weed out the "What Drift Car Should I Buy?" threads that seems to out number threads talking about everything else 3 to 1.

I'm glad you all want to chime in with your two cents, just remember to mention things like price range, parts availability, and throw up good pictures so that folks can see what you're talking about.

And yes, Dorikin, I'm modding in here now.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:53 PM   #14
Dorikin
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
And yes, Dorikin, I'm modding in here now.
Good. Now, everyone else, post up more stuff!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:56 PM   #15
Soyo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Soyo

I can't upload pictures *cry* whats wrong with the thing?
HKS Blow-Off Valve, Stainless brake and clutch lines
Soyo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Drifting