Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Steelwheel
AF Newbie

Replaced power steering pump, still have problems - rack and pinion?

A while back as I was driving, I heard some sort of clunk, and the steering wheel locked and would not turn left. It then unlocked after a few seconds. Ever since then, it has been very hard to turn to the left (and right, at slow speeds and on sharp turns, but much easier than turning left). This happened a few days after I replaced both front end struts and inner tie rod ends, and got an alignment - they were cheap quick struts (entire assembly), but seem to be of fairly good quality.

Initially after some consultation I thought it was the power steering pump, so I replaced that. It became easier to turn right, but still very hard to turn left. I took the front end off the ground and turned the wheel all the way left and right, no problem or resistance. I am nearly certain it is not the pump.

At this point, I am fairly certain it is either the steering gear or some part of the rack and pinion. I am planning on getting the assembly replaced. The fastest and cheapest way is apparently to just buy the entire steering gear/r&p asssembly. Would bad strut mounts ever cause an issue like this? Any other possibilities besides the steering linkage?

I thought I would post here to see if anyone had any other ideas or similar experiences.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: Replaced power steering pump, still have problems - rack and pinion?

usually when its harder to turn one direction that the other its the steering rack
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Steelwheel
AF Newbie

Re: Replaced power steering pump, still have problems - rack and pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crvett69 View Post
usually when its harder to turn one direction that the other its the steering rack
Yeah I'm fairly sure that's it. Also explains how it locked up. I'm thinking fixing up the front end caused more stress on the rack and it finally gave out.

Edit: It was the rack and pinion. Steering was very hard to turn one way, sometimes easy to turn the other, sometimes not. So make sure you actually have a bad power steering pump before you replace it.

Last edited by Steelwheel; 05-27-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Steelwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue