Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
chuck0
AF Newbie

Question Hard (locked-up) gas pedal

The car is a 2000 Intrigue with 3.5L engine.
The problem is: about once a month the gas pedal won't go down when trying to move forward after the car has come to a full stop. Feels like I'm stepping on a rock when I step on the pedal. Then I tap on the pedal with my foot a few times and the pedal will go down smoothly, car accelerates and everything feels normal until it happens again.
Has anyone had this problem & know the fix or at least where to look for the interference if that is what it is? Also,I tried to cause this hard pedal to happen & have been unable to do so.
chuck0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Hard (locked-up) gas pedal

Sounds like your throttle plate is sticking from dirt/carbon build up. Had this on a blazer, some carb cleaner. You might be able to clean it on the car. Pull the air intake hose off.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
chuck0
AF Newbie

aleekat
Thanks for the reply. I will clean the throttle plate.
Another possibility is the pedal is attached to a link that rotates on a horizontal axis in a tube that likely has some bushings that may need to be lubed.
chuck0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
goggles paesano
AF Newbie

i may be having the same issue with my 95 caravan. Without warning, the gas pedal will only move about 1/2 an inch. If i stomp on it extremely hard, it pops into neutral. It moves perfectly normal in park, and neutral seemed good as well. I sprayed the linkage, which didn't affect anything.

I did notice when in gear where the linkage connects to the throttle, a flat plate about 3" or 4", with a sliding slot that allows the gas pedal to move. When in gear, this plate lowers, which reduces the slot space. Nothing looks bent or anything like that. Any ideas? Could it be a sensor some where? Transmission?

Last edited by goggles paesano; 08-05-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: needed to add one word
goggles paesano is offline   Reply With Quote