Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-7
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
gtmud
AF Enthusiast

What do I do next?

I just was "lucky" enough to pick up an 84 1.3 non turbo RX-7. Owner said it ran when he parked it, 3 years ago. Since then its been setting up, covered. I was wondering what I should do first, as this is the first rotary engine I have worked on. I figure I would have to drain the gas tank and replace the fuel pump & filter, clean out the lines. I thought of removing the plugs and putting a little marvel mystery oil in teh engine and turn it over by had first, to make sure its freed up, then use the starter.
This is the fuel injected version, so is there anything else I might want to look at before I throw fire to the engine?
Thanks,
Ken
gtmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
clearkut
AF Newbie

Re: What do I do next?

once you have made sure that it turns by hand (19mm socket on main pully) with a lubricant, make sure that coolant and oil levels are all correct, and have get rid of the old gas(if the fuel pump still runs , just change out the filter for now) and replaced with some fresh you could add some seafoam to clean up the pump/injectors, lines and eng. do a good once over on your brakes befor driving clean and re grease
clearkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
gtmud
AF Enthusiast

all checked out but the coolant. I topped off the radiator and cranked the engine a couple times. Checked it a couple weeks later, coolant was gone from the radiator.
I did spray a SMALL amount of starter fluid into the air box and it took right off. So I am going to trailer it to my shop and see where this coolant leak is. There is no mixing with the oil and the plugs looked in good shape when I pulled them. I was told that he replaced the oil cooler not long before he parked it.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
gtmud
AF Enthusiast

Need advise, found out we need to move for my wifes job, need to sell RX-7. What would it be worth running. Interior is very near perfect, all original, and everything works but 2 speakers. Seats just redone with dark red leather. carpet and all in great shape. Needs weather stripping and TLC on brakes and a paint job, tires are so,so. Small crinkle in DS front corner, headlights still work correctly. More damage to bumper and plastic lower panel. THinking around 2500. Too high or low?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Make sure to run some seafoam through it.
" ~ Igor
jcsaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
gtmud
AF Enthusiast

Ok, got it to the shop, found leak to be the water pump so I replaced it with a t-stat too, fabricated an in-line fuel pump from an 91 E-150 and it runs fairly well. Temp is good, no smoke or mixing. Really need to get the right Fuel pump, not enough gpm on the ford pump. Drove around shop, shifts correctly, need a clutch master cylinder though. So is 25-2800 a fair price?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-7