Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:16 AM   #1
OSUCowboy27
AF Regular

2001 Silhouette Trans. Problems

115000 miles on vehicle. I changed trans fluid and filter at 100,000 using NAPA filter and a quality DEX-III fluid. When the gear shift is in the OD position, the trans only stays in third and will not shift into OD and when i let off the accelerator, the RPM's drop to idle. The shifts from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3 are very firm. This started all of a sudden and without warning. There are no noises or vibrations. I check fluid and it is at proper level and is still pink and does not have any odor. Should i add some trans-x or seafoam and drive for a while and then drain fluid and change filter again and look for metal shavings in pan? Any suggestions? What about Lucas trans additive?
OSUCowboy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
diesel1962
AF Regular

Re: 2001 Silhouette Trans. Problems

Hello! I think I would check the vacume hose that connects to the vacume modulator.Did you say that you had the pan off already? Was there any metal on the magnet?Maby you should flush the transmisson.If you just took the pan off,You did not get all of the old oil out,Maby you got 7 or 8 quarts out,When the whole assembly holds about 18 quarts.This is what you do.. Remove the lower trans coolant line at the radiator,Get a rubber hose about 3/8 dia.(fuel line hose will do),About 5-6feet of hose,And a five gallon bucket.Remove trans dipstick,Use funnel,Start engine and have a helper,With foot on brake,Shift thru all the gears,With engine at idle,Meanwhile pour about 18-20 quarts of trans fluid into transmisson.The old fluid will go into bucket,And you will flush out the valve body assembly and torque convertor. Shut engine off,reconnect the trans coolant line to radiator,And restart engine to check fluid level.I have been doing this for years and had much success.Take old fluid to a recycle center.Let me know how it turns out.Have a good day..Diesel 1962
diesel1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
OSUCowboy27
AF Regular

Re: Re: 2001 Silhouette Trans. Problems

We flushed the trans before the filter change at 100,000 miles and are you sure there is a vacuum modulator on an Electronic Trans?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
diesel1962
AF Regular

Hello! This is Diesel1962,If your transmisson is simular to the ones that oldsmobile used in the 1997 models,It indeed has a vacume modulator.It would be located in the front drivers side of tranny.It is a small,cylidener shaped object,facing the front of the vehicle.It will have a vacume hose attached to it.Check it out.Ihave to go now(Gotta make supper for family!).Have a good day.Diesel 1962.p.s Let me know what happens...
Old 03-31-2005, 04:47 AM   #5
diesel1962
AF Regular

Good Morning,This is Diesel again.I want to know if the check engine light came on at any time when your trans started to mess up? When my engine came on,It was the torque convertor clutch solonoide malfuncition. I have yet to replace it along with other issues that I am having with my olds.It is ok to use a transmisson additive.I used Lucas oil additive.It did not hurt my transmisson at all.Maby you should try some,You may have to drain a quart or two out of tranny,So it is not over filled.Good luck,Let me know what happens..Diesel 1962
Old 03-31-2005, 06:58 AM   #6
OSUCowboy27
AF Regular

The check engine light did not come on at any point. There are not any codes either. I am tinking about adding trans-x or seafoam and driving for a while in all gears and then flush trans and change filter and check to see if there is a lot of metal shavings in pan and then add Lucas and fill it up. Still do not see modulator.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:52 AM   #7
diesel1962
AF Regular

Good Morning,Can you find out what model that trans is?And I will see what kind of trans I have in mine.I work at a heavy truck repair shop,And will bang heads with other techs today about your trans problem.I have access to many manuals,We will figure out something.Gotta get to work!! Will get back to you later today..Diesel 1962...
Old 04-04-2005, 10:39 AM   #8
OSUCowboy27
AF Regular

I think it is the 4T65E. I took out a quart of fluid to add trans-x and it looked just as bad as it did before the previous flush just 15,000 miles ago. The trans-x did eliminate the hard shifting but it still will not go into OD. We are going to flush it again and add lucas after a couple hundred miles to see if that helps. If it doesn't, I will just drive it in third and slow down to increase fuel mileage.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #9
gls02
AF Regular

Flush

Did you have a "flush" or just a complete transmission fluid change? A transmission flush will include a chemical added to disolve particles of dirt/sludge inside the transmission and that is where I believe the problems begin. If these sludge/dirt particles don't get removed with the flush they might clog a shift valve and cause problems.

I believe that this transmission flushing is just the latest money maker from the dealer. Transmissions valve bodies have very small passages for the fluid to get through and don't take kindly to large objects passing through.

I would drop the transmission oil pan and change the filter, replace the pan and add fluid, then drive it to get the transmission warmed up ,then remove as much of the fluid through the transmission filler tube ( use a drill with a pump attached) and repeat this fill, drive and drain 4 to 5 times and see if this helps your transmission problems.

Good luck.
gls02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:33 PM   #10
winepro23
AF Newbie

It could be...

failure of the 4th clutch hub assembly. You will have no code. Transmission will not shift into OD. Stays in third with about 4000 RPMs at 80 KPH>
Mine did the same thing at 120K and required a complete rebuild.
winepro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:50 AM   #11
kmohr3
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to kmohr3

I would also have the input sun gear, input complete carrier assembly, input/reaction carrier thrust bearing assembly, reaction complete carrier assembly, and reaction carrier/sun gear thrust bearing assembly changed as needed per TSB #03-07-30-017 (05/07/2003) - this will keep you from having furthur trans failure down the road. I guess a common problem on the 4T65-E. My friend at the dealer has shown me some of these parts that have failed.
kmohr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:57 PM   #12
trannyman52
AF Regular

more than likely the od input called {cookie cutter} is damaged,,,which will require some work to the internals,,,,,,,flushes,,,,,,filters,,,,,,tranny-in-a-can,,,,,will not fix broken hard parts!!!!!P.S. there is no modulator,,,earlier versions did have one,,,but it controlled line pressure,,,not related to shifting.........if you dont want to fix ,,,,for short term can be driven in D3 without any harm other than gas mileage
gbaum@email.com
trannyman52 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette