Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #346
LincolnLS2002v8v8
AF Newbie

Re: Dual climate control blowing heat on AC (DCCV removal instructions in post #107)

Hello,
New to the forum. I really appreciate all the knowledge posted here. I read through most all the posts on here. Tried some of the fixes with no success.

2002 Lincoln LS V8

My Ac stopped blowing cold air the other day and was overwhelmed by hot air. It's actually hotter on the coolest temp setting than the hottest temp setting. Way Hotter than ambient.

I've had a consistent issues with air in the coolant system. The car will reach hit temperature from time to time, I'll pull over and burp the overflow bottle and it returns to normal operation. None of this has has been related to the cooling In The past, but has affected the heating. Takes many minutes for heat to fill the cabin, maybe a half hour.

So, I had a mechanic replace the DCCV valve (heater control valve on Amazon)

It is still blowing hot air. I tried running the code test but all I get on the screen is a fully lit screen will all character with no countdown or codes. Picture below. Exiting the code test process I hear the cabin doors opening and closing.
https://goo.gl/photos/hB9e7imoWLaKn5ok7

Any ideas where I can start? I can access a snap-on scan tool in a few days, I'll follow up with any ecu codes I find.

I should also add that the alternator had been not working properly and right after the hot air incident the alternator finally crapped out. This had been replaced along with the battery.
LincolnLS2002v8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #347
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Dual climate control blowing heat on AC (DCCV removal instructions in post #107)

Have you checked the vent temps on the passenger side to see if they are any difference between left and right sides?

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #348
LincolnLS2002v8v8
AF Newbie

Re: post #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
Have you checked the vent temps on the passenger side to see if they are any difference between left and right sides?

-Rod
Sir, both sides are equally as hot. Both Hotter than ambient, both hotter than In heat mode.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #349
LincolnLS2002v8v8
AF Newbie

Re: post #346

New info.

I ran the snap-on scanner and there were no HVAC related codes in memory. Ran several tests with the scan tool. No new codes showed up. The only codes in memory had to do with the power loss from the alternator / battery failure.

New pictures in album: https://goo.gl/photos/hB9e7imoWLaKn5ok7

I did discover that the AC clutch 10amp fuse was blown.

Replaced fusr and Yay! Cold air!!

So I went for a drive, brrrr it's too cold in here. So I adjusted the drivers side temperature controlup from the 60 degree cold setting. Both passenger and driver side temperature setpoint were linked at this point. Then a rush of hot air came into the cabin. The same 10amp fuse blew again.

I retested this scenario twice, same result, blown Ac clutch fuse.

Ac clutch relay bad?

Waiting on advice or comments...

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #350
shorod
SHO No Mo

It would be very unusual for a relay to cause the fuse to blow. I'd be more inclined to suspect the clutch is causing the fuse to blow, likely due to a bad field coil. Maybe the diode is bad, be even then I wouldn't expect that to cause the fuse to blow, but worth checking.

-Rod
Old 09-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #351
LincolnLS2002v8v8
AF Newbie

Quote:
It would be very unusual for a relay to cause the fuse to blow. I'd be more inclined to suspect the clutch is causing the fuse to blow, likely due to a bad field coil. Maybe the diode is bad, be even then I wouldn't expect that to cause the fuse to blow, but worth checking.

-Rod
Would you know if you need to pull the compressor to replace the clutch coil? Or just remove the belt and clutch hub?
Old 09-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #352
shorod
SHO No Mo

The service manual instructs to remove the compressor assembly to replace the clutch and field coil. Based on what's required to replace the field coil, I can understand why you'd want the compressor off the car. You wouldn't have much working room to get snap rings off, etc. if the compressor were still on the car.

Have you measured the resistance of the field coil with a multimeter?

-Rod
Old 09-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #353
shorod
SHO No Mo

I took a look at the A/C wiring diagram. It doesn't appear there is a diode in the clutch circuit, so no need looking for that. The diagram does not indicate that it's built in to the relay either.

Of interest though, is according to the wiring diagram, that 10A fuse, F1.01, on your V6 also power the DCCV. I would recommend you unplug the DCCV and run the A/C to see if your fuse still blows. If not, then the issue may be that the DCCV is drawing too much current and causing the fuse to blow. There are a couple of plugs for the DCCV along the passenger side of the radiator shroud that are easy to access versus getting directly to the plug at the DCCV.

-Rod
Old 09-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #354
LincolnLS2002v8v8
AF Newbie

Quote:
The service manual instructs to remove the compressor assembly to replace the clutch and field coil. Based on what's required to replace the field coil, I can understand why you'd want the compressor off the car. You wouldn't have much working room to get snap rings off, etc. if the compressor were still on the car.
Almost seems better to swap the whole compressor assembly at that point.

Quote:

Have you measured the resistance of the field coil with a multimeter?
I'll test and record the result
Quote:
I took a look at the A/C wiring diagram. It doesn't appear there is a diode in the clutch circuit, so no need looking for that. The diagram does not indicate that it's built in to the relay either.

Of interest though, is according to the wiring diagram, that 10A fuse, F1.01, on your V6 also power the DCCV. I would recommend you unplug the DCCV and run the A/C to see if your fuse still blows. If not, then the issue may be that the DCCV is drawing too much current and causing the fuse to blow. There are a couple of plugs for the DCCV along the passenger side of the radiator shroud that are easy to access versus getting directly to the plug at the DCCV.

-Rod
I did have a mechanic change out the DCCV, And I believe, the same condition occured when the problem first appeared. But, Ill try this and see what happens.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #355
Bbaldonado
AF Newbie

Hello all! Just did the countinous code retrieval check got the 12 65, and 27 98. Tried the self diagnostic but could not get it to enter into the diagnostic mode pressing off and floor. Any ideas how to do self mode? 04 Ln Ls V8
Bbaldonado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #356
shorod
SHO No Mo

It sounds like you missed a step for the self test mode, which is entered by pressing the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then pressing the AUTO button within two seconds.

The 2798 code indicates the DCCV has a short to ground. Do you have symptoms that caused you to check the DATC for codes?

-Rod
Old 06-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #357
Acampbell_2022
AF Newbie

Please help...a.c. Blowing heat ....shop says its the blend doors ...is there a quick fix..maybe manually pry the door to stay on ac
Acampbell_2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #358
shorod
SHO No Mo

No need to start a new thread and post on an existing thread. I asked a few question on the new thread you started in this forum.

-Rod
Old 09-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #359
gsuburban
AF Newbie

Well folks, I've read through all 5 webpages herein and caught the one different change in activating the self-diagnostics. One suggestion says press OFF and FLOOR then AUTO while another says OFF and DEFROST then AUTO (both versions simultaneously).

I tried them both and nothing occurs. Anyone care to suggest why?

2001 LS8 Sport.
gsuburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #360
shorod
SHO No Mo

Which button combination you press depends on what you are trying to do, although I don't find a combination of "OFF and DEFROST" followed by "AUTO."

From the Ford factory service manual for the 2001 Lincoln LS:

The DATC module self-test through the front panel display:
  • can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • is entered by pressing the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then pressing the AUTO button within two seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • concludes by reporting all on-demand DTCs. Follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION in the DTC index for each DTC given.
  • reports individual on-demand DTCs as four-digit DTCs (less the alpha character).
  • will calibrate all the mode doors and check all analog inputs. The DATC module will only report on-demand (hard) faults that occurred while the DATC module was conducting its self-test.
  • will light all control panel display segments if no faults are detected.
  • will report individual on-demand DTCs without the °C symbol lit.
--------------------------------

Continuous DTCs are fault codes recorded by the DATC module which have occurred during normal operation. For the DATC module this means that all faults (intermittent or hard) that occur while the module is in an operational state shall be reported as a continuous DTC.
  • To retrieve continuous DTCs, press the OFF and PANEL buttons simultaneously, followed by pressing the AUTO button within two seconds.
  • The DATC module will report all continuous DTCs to the vacuum fluorescent (VF) display.
  • The DATC module will not carry out a self-test; it will only display continuous faults codes which are stored in memory.
  • All VF display segments will light if no faults are detected.
  • Individual continuous DTCs will be reported with the °C symbol lit.
  • DTCs shall be reported as a four-digit DTC (less the alpha character).
  • Pressing the front defrost button will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and clear all continuous DTCs from DATC module memory.
  • Pressing any other button (other than DEFROST) will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and maintain all continuous DTCs in DATC module memory.
  • Upon exit from the retrieve continuous DTCs mode the DATC module returns to operational status. The DATC module executes a hard (cold boot) reset which places the DATC system in the OFF mode.
------------------

So if you want to perform a DATC self test, use the upper series of button presses. If you are just interested in the Diagnostic Trouble Codes, use the lower series of button presses. And of course all of this assumes that your DATC is at least powering up.

-Rod