Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Peugeot > 207
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Happydriver75
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Huge estimate - am I being ripped off?

Hi all
I should start by saying I know very little about cars. If it moved, that'll do!
I have a 2008 Peugeot 207 and yesterday started getting an 'anti pollution fault' message on the dashboard. Took it to the dealership today and they've said that I need;

Oxygen sensor
Thermostat housing
Mass air sensor

At total cost of £598.66

I admit, I was a little naive, bought the car 18 months ago and was told it only need servicing every 2 years. I have done a lot more miles than I thought - 20,000 in the past 2 years. Garage tells me the problems are my own fault because I should have had it serviced at 10,000.

Anyway...anyone have any idea what work like this should cost me? Dealership says if I don't get it fixed, I'll have a catastrophic engine failure before too long. Feel stupid!
Happydriver75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Mitsutech
AF Newbie

Re: Huge estimate - am I being ripped off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydriver75 View Post
Hi all
I should start by saying I know very little about cars. If it moved, that'll do!
I have a 2008 Peugeot 207 and yesterday started getting an 'anti pollution fault' message on the dashboard. Took it to the dealership today and they've said that I need;

Oxygen sensor
Thermostat housing
Mass air sensor

At total cost of £598.66

I admit, I was a little naive, bought the car 18 months ago and was told it only need servicing every 2 years. I have done a lot more miles than I thought - 20,000 in the past 2 years. Garage tells me the problems are my own fault because I should have had it serviced at 10,000.

Anyway...anyone have any idea what work like this should cost me? Dealership says if I don't get it fixed, I'll have a catastrophic engine failure before too long. Feel stupid!
I pretty much specialize in Peugeots and I can tell you that you are well and truly being ripped off here!

Oxygen Sensor................. £98:40
Mass Airflow Sensor........ £68:40
Thermostat inc Housing... £30:60

Now, that's £197:40 in parts.
Add, say, £15:00 for antifreeze plus no more than an hour's labour for doing the work and you can see what I mean!

Best Wishes.

Graham.
Mitsutech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #3
Happydriver75
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsutech View Post
I pretty much specialize in Peugeots and I can tell you that you are well and truly being ripped off here!

Oxygen Sensor................. £98:40
Mass Airflow Sensor........ £68:40
Thermostat inc Housing... £30:60

Now, that's £197:40 in parts.
Add, say, £15:00 for antifreeze plus no more than an hour's labour for doing the work and you can see what I mean!

Best Wishes.

Graham.
Thank you for this! I did take it to an independent garage and they said much the same as you. In the end, it only needed the Mass oxygen bit and the whole thing including labour was £140. Whew!

Thank God for independent garages!
Happydriver75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:41 AM   #4
erinjbjs1
AF Newbie

It is a great kit and I highly recommend
erinjbjs1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Peugeot > 207