Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
princessdiana75
AF Newbie

Kia or Toyota? Seems like a no-brainer...

I need to get a new-used car and the dealer I'm working with currently has an excellent condition 2007 kia rio. I told them I was more interested in a Toyota (particularly something like a 2007-2008 Yaris), but I was just on jdpower.com and the 2007 kia rio has a better quality rating than a 2007 yaris! BUT, the toyota has a much better predictability of outliving the kia. I've always been under the impression that kias are cheap cars, and I have a 50-mile one-way commute to and from work everyday, so I need something that is going to last me and be cheap on maintenance. Everyone says toyotas are the best and my mom has had a celica for 6 years and has a 50-mile commute and has hardly put any maintenance in to her car and is now at around 120,000 miles on it.

Should I stick with having the dealership I'm working with find me a Toyota?
princessdiana75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
TheBobsHere
AF Regular

Re: Kia or Toyota? Seems like a no-brainer...

Personally I couldn't cruise around in a Kia, but that's just me. I wouldn't have a problem with some of the newer Hyundai's but that's because they have some cool looking good and fast little rides in their lineup, plus they have a great warranty's (they've really come a long way from the 93 Accent).
With that said you should find out what the warranties are for both cars what's left on them and if they're transferable to you. Make that, fuel mileage and price the main deciding factor along with which car you want to be in for 2 hours plus every day. If it isn't comfy it will make that ride to work hell after a while. If you have a good long warranty the chances of out of pocket repairs in lessened.
TheBobsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Kia is actually owned by Hyundai and their quality is much improved but not to the point where I'd pick them over a Toyota ! Just my $ 0.02 !
Old 08-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
300zxMaster1
AF Newbie

Toyota, not because its a lot more reliable but because you have a lot more choices.
300zxMaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
TheBobsHere
AF Regular

Hyundai bought Kia in 98 and although Kia and Hyundai may share some models and technology the Hyundai made products are a higher quality. Yes Kia's are getting better but the Hyundai made cars are becoming a more upscale product. Kia made cars wear out very quick and fall apart due to cheap parts (yes faster than the Hyundai exclusive models). If It was my choice, as I said before I'd go with Hyundai before Kia but that's just My personal opinion. The newer Hyundai's look better and perform better too (like the Genesis coup or the Tiburon), plus Kia was responsible for the Ford Festiva, that alone would keep me from ever buying a Kia. Not to mention the general public thinks better of the Toyota and Hyundai brands than they do the Kia brand.

My apologies to Festiva lovers.
TheBobsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
wafrederick
Banned

Plus the Kias have very high insurance rates.Kias also have cylinder head problems and the cylinder heads are very hard to find used.My father saw one in a dealer only car auction with the cylinder head off.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
03cavPA
AF Enthusiast

Go with Hyundai before Kia. Agree.

08 HHR
95 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT
03cavPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

out of the ones being discussed, Hyundai, out of Kia or Toyota? Toyota, the only car made by any of those brands that I would consider buying is the Hyundai Genisis.
I'd shop around more but you seem to like Toyota,

and Toyota is way more reliable than KIA (not as reliable as pretty much anyother brand though ) If you can't tell i'm not a big toyota fan so im not the person to ask on that matter.

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Shpuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Crazystars
AF Newbie

Kia or Toyota Seems like a no brainer

well well well I own a 1989 Toyota celica and it is the 3SGE model and is rather quick.Ive just had the auto converted to a manual and it should go better ill find out 2morrow. If you have the 3SGE its very power plenty and deserves the most HP you can give it.
Crazystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Re: Kia or Toyota Seems like a no brainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazystars View Post
well well well I own a 1989 Toyota celica and it is the 3SGE model and is rather quick.Ive just had the auto converted to a manual and it should go better ill find out 2morrow. If you have the 3SGE its very power plenty and deserves the most HP you can give it.
thats a good one, toyota, power ha!

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
akboss
AF Regular

Going back to the original post, and sticking to your original choices, I'd go with a Yaris - it will be reliable, cheap to maintain, and from my own personal experience with Toyotas it will be dependable until you're sick of it. But I couldn't buy a Yaris. Consider your options for a more interesting car, even if its a year or two older. Driving is supposed to be fun, not just a necessity, so if you enjoy driving look up something a little older but a little nicer. An early model Hyundai Tiburon would give you a sharp looking sporty coupe, but also offers the affordable repairs and gas-sipping tendencies of an economy car. Some others to look for might be an SVT Focus, a MazdaSpeed Protegé, VW 1.8T, Eclipse or a Celica.
akboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
akboss
AF Regular

Re: Kia or Toyota Seems like a no brainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpuker View Post
thats a good one, toyota, power ha!
Ever heard of a Supra Turbo? Toyota *used* to have some of the fastest cars on the block, they just washed out and figured they could make more money in family cars. Today they are a bit wishy washy on performance but you can't ask for more from a people-mover.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #13
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

If you want a car with a lot of power don't get a Toy alright? I know they get great gas mieage and all the jazz, but they have zero power.

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #14
akboss
AF Regular

OK Shpuker, you made me post this - completely off topic but gotta show the muscle car guys how a 'toy' outran a Lingenfelter Vette for money.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/feature...pra/index.html

1994 Supra Turbo, 1000+ hp at the wheels. It was fast from the factory, and even faster once you got your hands dirty under the hood.

Back to the OP, don't get a Rio - if any manufacturer is known for mediocrity its Kia. Sure they make some decent rides at the higher end of their lineup but a Rio is just not an investment, it's a disposable car. If you haven't got something already, look at an older Tiburon for something fun, but if you're dead-set on getting the most reliability in the most affordable package, get a Yaris.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

I never said you can't throw $6,000 into a car and make it fast alright? If you want a fast car a Toyota isn't your BEST option. End of story

Quote:
Your quote here!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A