Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 05:08 PM   #1
94tegRS
AF Enthusiast

what engine is better for me

ok, I get my license back from the god ol government august 28th. and I am looking to spend about 13k or so on my car. my first plan was a 94+ integra LS wiht I/H/E and pullies and a chip and a skunk 2 intake manifold. that was it as far as power. But I have been thinking that I want to build an engine for my car.

I sort of want an integra again cuz i miss my old one SO much, and put in a built CRVTEC.

I can get the B20 long block for 1000 shipped, then I can find a head off of a wrecked GSR at a junk yard or something for no more than 400 bucks hopefully.

get the head (deshrouded?, whatever where you match the bore to the engine) for I ould guess 300 or less.

then a JRSC and boost upgrade for 4 grand.

then with headers, exhaust, pullies, lightened flywheel, new clutch, bigger injectors and fuel pump and all the electronics Id have about 8 grand into the engine or so.

so then I got with a integra for about 5600 Ive got a total of 13,600.

I wouldnt have the rims and coilovers or any of that stuff i had planned but my car would be so fast.

If I met up with someone who had a ITR with I/H/E would I still just flat out smoke it?

and what kind of ECU wopukld I use since honda doesnt produce this engine so they probably dont make a ECU to control it, would a GSR ECU work for me?

or would it be cheaper for me to jusyt build the internals of my engine bullet proof and run a huge turbo?

but which would be fastre, and how reliable is the CRVTEC engine, can it be revved high and run for long periods o time, will it make 3000 mile trips?

sorry for so many ?'s

thanks in advance,

Matt
94tegRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 09:37 PM   #2
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
being equal driver and assuming you get traction, you will be able to beat the ITR with i/h/e.

first off..i wouldn't take the CRVtec engine to redline a lot. bad rod to stroke ratio. rods will eventually snap if you don't know how to tune it. the limit i see with VERY good tuning is ~8000RPM.

second, u won't need new fuel pump, as the JRSC kit will include that.

well what kind of power do you want? do you want a street machine that will make a lot of power at the top end RPM or power across the revband? if you want top end power with a lot of potential, a turbo would do. if you want instant power, a JRSC will provide the power.

i would get maybe a drag gen.3 turbo kit:
http://www.importparts.com/importpar.../View/DRAG92HY

it cost $3,199 and will have more potential than the JRSC unit. the fuel injectors at importparts.com can be had for cheap too! only about $70 for one. very good injectors.

from the money you saved on the turbo kit (800 over the JRSC) and the header that you don't need (about 300-400?) u will have enough money to buy a hondata engine management system. it helps your engine stay reliable (ie. detonation)) and make more power while at it. i wouldn't think of tuning my car (when i get one) without getting some kind of management system. hondata seems to be the most popular and best system for hondas.

feel free to ask again.:
GSteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 09:42 PM   #3
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
oh yea, if you are planning to run say 8psi, no need to built the internals yet.

which kind of B20 engine are you getting? b20B or B20Z?

one last thing..i would highly recommend you upgrade at least the springs/coilover and shocks. u cannot use your power, unless you can control it.
GSteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 02:42 PM   #4
SCStreetRacer
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SCStreetRacer
dude....with that setup you will waste anything on the street.....especially if you put it in a lighter car....like a hatchback civic. or even a coupe.......anyways....i would spend some money on internals too just to be safe......the B20 isn't a rev-happy motor anyways...it make great power....just at a lower RPM......so you won't have to rev the crap out of it to make power.....revving so high would be pointless anyways.....have you been to CR-VTEC.com?? if not go there, then ask questions.....they basically already have any question you could ask already answered.

1 cross + 3 nails = 4given
SCStreetRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 04:43 PM   #5
94tegRS
AF Enthusiast

well, i have been to crvtec.com without the dash, but yeah, I didnt plan on revving to 8k anyways, 7k would be fine to me. even 6500 if I was making lots of power.
94tegRS is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical