Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > 1969 - 1994 Full size
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
jbauer3
AF Newbie

Post 94 fs Blazer with strange grinding type noise

I have a 94 full size blazer with the 6.5 diesel. It has been a reliable truck for years and recently has developed a grinding noise on heavy acceleration. If I accel slowly the noise does not appear, if it is in 4wd no noise. If I am stationary and torque the engine in drive no noise whether in 4wd or 2wd. The u joints look good, no noise when letting off the gas, no clunking sounds like a u joint when bad. I'm puzzled. It is leaking trans fluid from the front seal but other than that all seems to be working. I have had drive shaft problems and u joint problems on other chevys but nothing I see looks like a driveshaft/u joint problem. I think whatever it is it is related to the rear shaft, axle, or transfer case back to the rear end since the noise goes away in 4wd. If anyone has had similar issues or can give me some other ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
jbauer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 94 fs Blazer with strange grinding type noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbauer3 View Post
I have a 94 full size blazer with the 6.5 diesel. It has been a reliable truck for years and recently has developed a grinding noise on heavy acceleration. If I accel slowly the noise does not appear, if it is in 4wd no noise. If I am stationary and torque the engine in drive no noise whether in 4wd or 2wd. The u joints look good, no noise when letting off the gas, no clunking sounds like a u joint when bad. I'm puzzled. It is leaking trans fluid from the front seal but other than that all seems to be working. I have had drive shaft problems and u joint problems on other chevys but nothing I see looks like a driveshaft/u joint problem. I think whatever it is it is related to the rear shaft, axle, or transfer case back to the rear end since the noise goes away in 4wd. If anyone has had similar issues or can give me some other ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
unless the noise can be heard this is diff to dertermine for sure. My guess would be the rear diif. I would remove the rear cover and inspect gears for proper wear/engagement excessive metal/debris. with both rear wheels off the ground rotate them and inspect rear wheel/drive shaft yoke bearings for wear.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
blazes9395
Newbie mod

Re: 94 fs Blazer with strange grinding type noise

Check and make sure the actuator valve for the 4x4 is not partially engaging. Disconnect the vaccum for the 4x4 and go for a drive, if that solves it, the 4x4 is partially engaging.
blazes9395 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > 1969 - 1994 Full size