Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 08:17 PM   #1
a007apl
Banned

Smart

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/images/3420-2.jpg

"Speed matters. So does size. A Lamborghini can crest 200mph on an unrestricted autobahn, but its bulk makes it slower than a pair of used roller skates down a busy city street. Which is why Mercedes' SMART car should be the fastest city car ever made. It's the world's smallest production car- small enough to dart through the tiniest gap in the traffic. It's also quick. Well, "nippy". Anyway, the SMART's size and power should make it the ideal set of wheels for the urban dweller. It isn't.

Oh, but don't you wish it was? It's so cute! It looks like a cartoon baby animal: tiny body, big head and saucer-sized, doleful eyes. I reckon SMART's German designers morphed a golf cart with a Pokemon. Awwww. Look! The radiator is smiling at you! Unlike the much-hyped MINI, the SMART's design both startles and captivates. You don't want to buy it so much as take it home and cook it a hot meal.

Inside

Inside, the SMART is even more endearing. It's the size of a small lavvy, but offers a range of "big car" toys: central locking, air conditioning, sunroof, sat nav, CD player and more. All the details-from the pizza slice door handles to the cup holder/ashtray- are fresh without being pretentious. Like a "real" Merc, all the controls work, and work well. The ventilation ventilates. The window wipers wipe. The more time you spend in the car, the more you understand why SMART means both stylish and intelligent.

Funky touches like the twin periscopes surfacing from the dashboard (clock and rev counter) get all the press, but the ergonomics deserve the real attention. The cabin is mounted directly above the engine (where else could they put it?), placing you virtually level with 4X4 drivers. The lofty driving position combined with an epic front windscreen and jumbo-sized side windows delivers a panoramic view. Sitting behind the wheel, nestling into the heated seats, you'd swear you were driving an MPV. The interior is spacious enough to accommodate a short basketball player and/or a small Sumo wrestler.

If you value style and comfort above all, this is a good place to stop. For those of you prone to self-righteous sniggering whenever you encounter a fashionable car that's Hell to drive, you're in for a treat…

On the road...

The SMART's natural hunting ground is the city. Forget about the zero to sixty time of 16.8 seconds (if you can). What this pocket-sized car needs to do is turn quickly and accurately, so you can wheel into gaps before bigger cars know what's happening. Unfortunately, the SMART's steering is under-assisted at slow speeds. To change direction from a standstill requires a manly "heave-ho". Even worse, you have no idea how far you've turned the wheels until you set off-at which point you could easily find yourself heading towards the bumper of something large and unyielding.

Under sail

Once you get going, the steering feels crisp and perfectly weighted. Which is just as well. At speed, the car is more likely to be blown off course than a 17th century sailing ship. And you'd be better off under sail than equipped with the SMART's Softtouch transmission. Mercedes can rightly claim to build some of the world's best automatic transmissions. Now they can claim to build the world's worst. The SMART's autobox doesn't "slur" its changes. It stops, thinks about it, thinks about it some more, then gives you the next gear. It's the perfect car for the Japanese; the sudden loss of power forces you to bow between gears.

Floor it-the usual method for rousing a Mercedes engine-and it's not so much "kick down" as "cut out". The engine sulks for a good second or two before agreeing to continue. Switching off the auto leaves you with a sequential-style shift. It shortens the changing times, but only slightly. Unfortunately, going manual makes you even more aware of the "light the fuse and wait" shifts. That's not a good thing.

Handling

The handling is also a lot less than excellent. While the SMART is not a sports car, it's capable of going fast enough to change directions rapidly. Whether you're on a city street or a twisting country road, you won't want to. The modifications made since Mercedes' "A-Class fall-y over" debacle have robbed the car of the slightest chance of tipping over. At the same time, the TRUST-PLUS system also denies drivers the slightest opportunity to have what we enthusiasts call "fun".

It's a shame. The SMART could have had it all: style, comfort and speed. In the end, the car is let down by a dodgy suspension and a thoroughly uncooperative gearbox. Now I realise that this focus on performance leaves me wide open to criticism. There is an entire rainforest of eco warriors out there ready to tell me I don't get it. The SMART is about being frugal with our dwindling resources. It's about 66 miles per gallon and 85% recyclability. It's not about performance or driving pleasure. And you know what? They're right."
Old 08-16-2002, 09:51 PM   #2
ChristopherJ
AF Newbie

I'd like to get one if I had the money, but you can't buy one down under. Anyone know if there ever going to be available in OZ? Also what Smart models come with the CDi engine? its the version I'd get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smart.jpg (10.8 KB, 93 views)
ChristopherJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 07:38 AM   #3
blueyabby
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to blueyabby Send a message via Yahoo to blueyabby
Quote:
Originally posted by ChristopherJ
I'd like to get one if I had the money, but you can't buy one down under. Anyone know if there ever going to be available in OZ? Also what Smart models come with the CDi engine? its the version I'd get.
I see you are from QLD, I live in Melbourne, at this point I believe they are only available in Victoria. They might be available early 2003, elsewhere. Passion and Passion Cabrio are available.
mr2spyder@blueyabby.com
2003 MR2 Spyder Sportivo Black Leather Interior
2001 MR2 Spyder Sportivo My girlfriend's car.
blueyabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:25 AM   #4
ChristopherJ
AF Newbie

The Smart has been just a faze for me really, I liked them when they first came out and still have nothing against them but I wouldn't buy one, there's just better cars to buy for the money. I can see why people like them though.
ChristopherJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 05:01 PM   #5
AC_A340-500
AF Enthusiast

My girlfriend wants to get one soon. I test-drive a rare 70hp one the other day (it was a Crossblade, actually). Lots of Smarts here in the big cities!!

The CDi version has 41hp and supposedly only uses 3.5 liters per 100kms.
AC_A340-500 is offline   Reply With Quote