Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 10:54 AM   #1
aenjones
AF Newbie

Mercedes 500SEC

I am interested in buying a Mercedes 500SEC. I do not know much about them yet other than I have always admired its lines. I would appreciate any feedback I could get about values and reliability. I want to be able to put a lot of miles on it, do they last? Thanks.
aenjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 11:20 AM   #2
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

used to own one. they will last forever. cars like the old 500 are the reason why Mercedes' got its reputation for reliability.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:29 PM   #3
dollarauto
AF Regular

im selling this car if your interested
its a 1984 AMG 500 SEC

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2400246277
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08.jpg (51.3 KB, 170 views)
dollarauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 05:58 PM   #4
gemballa
AF Enthusiast

my mom had an 500sel and it was fast this one should be faster!
Old 04-05-2003, 10:50 PM   #5
JonathanM
AF Newbie

From my experience, miles are nothing to any Mercedes-Benz. I have an 87 420 SEL with 205,000 miles on it and it still runs beautifully. It performs better than any other car I have ever driven (besides some other M-B's) and the engine sounds great too, you can really hear the power. You would never imagine that the car is 16 year-old. To top it off, I am the fourth owner of this car. They really will take a beating and hold up to it. I have had some minor problems, however if you are buying a used car, you should anticipate that.

I would advise you to just take care in researching the car before you buy it. You should inquire about previous owners and maintenance records (any good owner would have at least kept receipts of work done). When you test drive the car, notice the shifting between gears. Obviously it is most likely not going to be perfect, because it's an older car, but if you notice any jerkiness, it may be indicative of a transmission problem waiting to surface. Also take note of power in accelerating. These cars are built to be smooth, so when you step on the gas it should give you a smooth take off and acceleration, however if you push it, it should react. Don't be fooled into taking a car that doesn't react, and assume that it is meant to be that way for smoothness. Mercedes makes their cars smooth, but they also make them to perform, and a good one will perform. Also take note of any bad smells. These could be indicative of various leaks or electrical malfuctions. Be sure to check all power accessories to be sure that they operate properly (roof, seats, windows, mirrors etc.) They will be expensive to fix, and although they are just amenities, you will be sorry that you didn't check if something is broken. Also check for the owner's manual, and if it's not there, ask that the seller provide one with the car. Anyone can purchase one, but it's an extra expense, and the car should have one anyway. It is surprisingly easy to read, and will give you some really decent insight into how your car works, and what to look for if and when you think there may be a problem. Obviously this is not a complete list of what you should consider when buying a car, it's just a few of the things I have noticed in owning a used Mercedes. I hope it helps. Good luck!
JonathanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:52 PM   #6
pkmaven
AF Regular

SEC

The SEC is Mercedes' Idea of the best coupe. It was the top of the S-class line until the early 90's when it sported a 5.6liter V8 (560SEC). This solid S-Class Coupe had the best of everything Mercedes could put in a car. I rides like a block of iron and is solid luxury throughout. The most famous problem was the gear that operated the automatic seatbelt presenter. It was plastic and eventually wore out. George Murphy, the Technical Advisor for the MBCA, sells aluminum replacement gears from his business :Performance Analysis Co. 865-482-9175. I sell more stainless door sill plates to SEC owners than all other models. P.
pkmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 11:12 AM   #7
CRG
AF Newbie

Re: Mercedes 500SEC

I have one for sale. I am in Bay Area, California. If you are interested, I have pics
Thanks

QUOTE=aenjones]I am interested in buying a Mercedes 500SEC. I do not know much about them yet other than I have always admired its lines. I would appreciate any feedback I could get about values and reliability. I want to be able to put a lot of miles on it, do they last? Thanks.[/quote]
CRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:08 PM   #8
w123_w126
AF Newbie

A 500 SEC would be great...

I currently own an 85 500 SEL with 210,000 miles, it runs like new – I’m amazed each time I drive it. As noted above, however, make sure you know the history of the car; and at the very least have a mechanic check the car before buying.
w123_w126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:38 AM   #9
titutus
AF Enthusiast

and just for curiosity what's the price ?
titutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:55 AM   #10
560 SEC Lauren
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 560 SEC Lauren

When I turned 16, I had a 500 SEC. Bright gold. It ran great, smooth and powerful. Now I drive a 560 SEC. It is like the 500's big fat brother. My biggest and only problem with it? Gas Consumption. It is awful. I get about 12 mpg in the city. I don't know what to do about it-especially since gas prices are up to $1.72 here in NC (that's the highest I've ever seen here).

If gas isn't a problem for you- may I just say it sure is one of the nicest mercedes' I've ever driven. Very powerful, that big ol' V8 will haul ass anywhere. Also, it's a different car. You don't see very many around (not here on the east coast, anyway). Let us know what you decide!
560 SEC Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion