Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #2986
Gir-_-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Gir-_-
Re: Grand Am Off Topic Thread

AE for life!

lol whats up guys.

I still have my blue beastly GA... I recently have replaced the belt, uhh egr, gotta flush and fix the power steering.

For the PS I was thinking of using an in-line filter, I dunno why I didnt think of it before. My grand am is cursed with PS problems, no doubt though its just bad quality fluid.

I extracted a little off the res tank and saw pretty little shavings all floating around in my baster, I sucked it all out after that and refilled the tank with fresh ps fluid. That helped the noise for a few days till I guess it mixed fully with the rest of it. It's been semi quiet on different days, hot/cold etc..

New addition!

My girlfriend recently purchased a 99' honda civic ex with the SOHC vtec motor. Its like a go kart compared to the grand am lol. I get bored easily and of course look up performance options on message boards and sites. I think I could do a nice build on the SOHC, displacement, motor build (Plenty of resources) And Turboo!. Also needs a 5spd swap lol. One day

Gir-_- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #2987
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to grfnkl

STAY AWAY FROM THE CIVIC! LOL it's very tempting to mod one due to the amount of parts out there. My civic is turning into a money pit. this year I've replaced the tie rods, steering box, radiator and thermostat. all that combined is just over 1500 bucks. After all those repairs it still handles like a shopping cart with a wobbly wheel and rides like one as well. At least summer is here... or at least for me here in eastern NC. I've been very busy with the house and fixing up the yard from the muddy sand pit it was when we bought it.

grfnkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #2988
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Thumbs up Re: Grand Am Off Topic Thread

Civics...Pppffffft !

These guys around here always think their Civics are the fastest thing on the streets...
HA! i dont think so ! As they rev their engine and oil drips from the tin can muzzler.
They are prone to front end suspension wear & tear quite to often.

Last weekend this hot chick came rolling up in this cute little Audi, I think it said i4 on the side? I was in SE/SS, she was looking hot(my GA lol)!
Well as she(the audi) tried slippin by me in the right lane, she popped her throttle doing 40mph.
I hear the turbo pop & whistle and I instantly dropped it into L1 and went WOT on her! I got rubber burning @ 40mph, she hits her throttle in a gasp of inspiration and guess what, TURBO LAG!
I wasted the Audi soo good! Left her in the dust cause I wasnt hittin it!

Man, i havnt been here for over a month... busybusybusy and work sucks as usual.
Backs been feeling great since my surgery. Though i havnt picked up anything over 20-30lbs.
Im the boss, why the hell do i actualy work anyways?

Hope everyone had a good & safe memorial day weekend! And enjoy this one too, it's shorter.

ps- Im looking @ another GA GT. 2005 2dr hood scoop and sct type rear wing(factory), asking $2500 w/blown engine.

Last edited by xeroinfinity; 06-03-2011 at 06:17 PM.
xeroinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #2989
Pontiacfreak1017
AF Newbie

So just out of curiosity. how reliable are Grand Ams? I'm looking for one in the 99-03 range because i really like the look, but ive only driven one and all i did was back it out of my driveway and then pulled it to where it was again. And are they fast? I'm hoping that i can find a Manual one. I've seen 2 in my life. lol. A bunch of people tell me that the generation i want doesnt come Manual, but ive seen 2. both of which were green coupes. Anyways, if you could just tell me if theyre good cars i would appreciate it. I need a new car fast, and i dont wanna get stuck with one that has a ton of issues.
Pontiacfreak1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #2990
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

@ Pontiacfreak1017- Grand Ams are not the best cars, but not the worst either IMO.
All makes & models hav something that is a "usual problem", not many secrets w/Grand Ams

You will not find many manual trans. 95% are automatics and only 4cyl have manual. With the exception of a few modified ones via MMS mods @ $1000's of dollars.
Are they fast, some are, some are not. If u want fast you probly shouldnt get a GA, though they are quick.

Ive spent $1000's and i only run mid 12's, top end tho is around 160 mph(on a track w/HSR tires) and is scary at those speed!

so if u find one u like, and its been treated well and maintained properly they arent bad cars. I'd shoot for a newr model 03-05 w/low mileage and i wouldnt pay more than $3-4k. Ask a lot of questions about whats been done in repairs, what it needs. You can obtain a warranty repair list from a dealer, you just need the VIN #, and carfax can sometimes help with accident reports. Good Hunting !

So, is everyone enjoying this heat ??? lol How was every ones July 4th celebration?
I hate the heat, and I got burnt from fireworks. Should have read the label "do not hold in hand", one day i'll learn....
Old 07-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #2991
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

This heat is horrible!!! Not only do we have this heat we are in a severe drought here! I think we only got maybe an inch and half of rain here since may. Then we've had a few forest fires here... So if its not the heat, lack or rain, or forest fires... the waters off the coast are super warm... the perfect ingredient for a hurricane. Aside from all of that I'm around... the civic is still going, ac barely works but that's cause of this heat. If i put the car in the garage and turn the ac it gets ice cold, I pull it out and drive its like a sauna in the car. Hopefully everyone else is surviving with this heat and hasnt melted yet.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #2992
goodoldpapa
AF Regular

Grfknl, we've had our share of heat too this summer, but been very fortunate with rain as it has come thru tstorms at the right time. The Ol' GA is still moving right along with nearly 237k. It will be due for plugs, wires , and front O2 sensor after Labor Day. Getting about 31-32 MPG highway.
goodoldpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #2993
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Hope you are ok out on the east coast grfnkl!
You were right about the water being warm enough, it looks like another Tropical storm has formed.

We havnt got much rain here either. Up way north and way south has had some rain but overall its hot & dry!

Temps have cooled down here especialy as night rolls on. Had the SE out a few times, PCM crapped out on me one night had to call for a tow. Bought a MMS stg II PCM already hav it all set up, it rocks!! Seems to be a little quicker and better mpg. Been running some 1/4 times... cant get under 12s with street tires.

Everyone be safe out there!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:36 PM   #2994
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

I'm around... We survived the first hurricane! We lost power on Saturday and just got it back last night. It was bad though. We got the much need rain of around 11 inches. I can say we could have done with out the wind . we did get hit really hard in my area since the hurricane made landfall right were i live. the eye just skimmed my house otherwise I was dealing with the eyewall the entire time of the storm. My neighborhood looked like a war zone after the storm finally moved out. My next door neighbor who just bought the house one week before the storm had their tree fall on the house and take out a good portion of the roof. I know we have another storm brewing out there... It's going to be very interesting for the next month or two. the downside is my jobs building was still standing after the storm. Other then that we are fine here.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #2995
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Glad to hear Paul !!! Ive seen a little bit of the damage on tv but that never does it justice on what all the storm damaged. My cousin lives up in Vermont/Mass area they are stuck on an island w/o power still, it would suck! I dont see your job being a down side, at least you have one. I'd hate to see how many are actually out of work because of the hurricane not to mention the ones not working anywhere.
Hope the next one dies down, never know tho!

Just noticed we are on page 300 in the OT thread!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #2996
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Everyone have a great & safe Labor day weekend !
Try not to get cooked out there in the heat!
Old 09-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #2997
goodoldpapa
AF Regular

Looks like it's going to be the last day of heat for a while. Supposed to cool off into the low 70s for the next 3 days. Rain and more rain, lol. Everyone be safe and keep the GA's rolling.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #2998
Vipey1337
AF Zoomzoom

Send a message via ICQ to Vipey1337 Send a message via AIM to Vipey1337

Sup everyone!

I am now successfully married as of Oct 1st And today is our 4-year anniversary of meeting each other. And tomorrow I buy a 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 Grand Touring... I go ZOOM ZOOM now

Grand AM still kinda holding up but my Legacy is doing all the heavy lifting for now. Grand AM going to be retired for a while... but it can still get me from A to B!

Current: 2012 Toyota Rav4 3.5L V6 AWD
Current: 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD + Accel Boost

Past: 1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE (sold 2013)
Past: 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 Grand Touring (sold 2016)
Past: 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition (sold 2019)
Vipey1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #2999
Jam88es99
AF Newbie

The storm blew right by us yesterday. The only thing was we were under a Tornado Watch last night which is pretty rare for us. The winds got pretty bad by getting upto 50+ mph and some rain Otherwise, nothing other then that!

Jam88es99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #3000
goodoldpapa
AF Regular

Back to the grindstone tomorrow The ol' GA has received a breather for the last 10 days. Replaced the front left lower ball joint about 6 weeks ago plus spark plugs and sp wires. Just turned 247k over the weekend so hopefully will continue to roll for a while.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
grandam , offtopic , overflo , topic , weirdly
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM