Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 11:45 AM   #1
FRANCO301
AF Newbie

Where Exactly Is The Water Pump Located

I Have Ordered A New Water Pump To Replace The One My Car Has. The Job Cost Approximately $400.00 In The Gm Dealer. I Do Not Want To Spend That Amount Of Money And Would Like To Do It Myself Except I Do Not Know Where The Water Pump Is Located To Remove It. 1995 Aurora.
Thanks In Advance For Any Suggestions Or Info You Provide Me With.
Frank
FRANCO301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 12:01 PM   #2
BKVic
AF Regular

Look for the small belt on the drivers side of the engine being driven off one of the OHCs. The water pump is really easy to get to once you remove the air box. You DO need a special tool to remove the water pump body though.

BKVic
BKVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:53 PM   #3
dsatt12
AF Enthusiast

As far as that socket/tool goes, there were a couple of threads covering who makes them other than GM. A little searching should point you in the right direction. I seem to recall Lisle Tools was one company that had an aftermarket version.

Some were reportedly flimsy, but how many water pumps are you going to have to replace?
dsatt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:37 AM   #4
DuramaxDiesel1001
AF Newbie

When i replaced the water pump i did not use any special tools. There is a weep hole on the nose of the water pump by the pulley. I was able to stick a tight fitting punch in the weep hole and turn the pump loose of the housing. Nobody had the special tools in stock when i did it... and this worked easily. Just a hint for you guys.
DuramaxDiesel1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:27 PM   #5
FRANCO301
AF Newbie

Re: Where Exactly Is The Water Pump Located

Do I Really Need The Socket For The 1995 Aurora. Would The Socket For The 1997 Aurora Work On My 1995 Aurora?
FRANCO301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
BKVic
AF Regular

Im not 100% sure on this but I think the same tool fits all Northstar waterpumps. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

If you need a socket for the water pump look on ebay. I purchased one about 3 months ago for around $30. I didnt need it at the time but figured its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Anyways Im plaining on a 2003 STS as my next car when my 97 Aurora kicks the bucket, Ill be able to use it on that also!

BKVic
BKVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
dsatt12
AF Enthusiast

Re: Where Exactly Is The Water Pump Located

Everything I've seen and heard points to the socket being for all northstar engines. Depending on who you ordered your water pump from, many parts stores have a tool loan program. Autozone and Advance Auto are two that pop into mind- not that they necessarily have the right one sitting around for you, but rent/borrowing might be an option too.
dsatt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:25 AM   #8
SteVB
AF Regular

replacing water pump.....

you may want to consider replacing the water pump belt tensioner,ESPECIALLY if it looks like a rusty powder and/or squeak is coming from the tensioner pulley(the little 1 1/2" pulley that you see first when looking at the waterpump) Mine crappped out on me on a road trip & i have a '95 with 120,000mi. & it flew apart & left me stranded in the mtns. it`s a $60.00 tensioner assy available from the dealer only.
SteVB is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora