Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
oceativa
AF Newbie

Front wheel noise (Video included)

Hi

Anyone got any ideas what is going on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFWYSWRSPn4

Ive had this issue for a year and a half, been through 6 different mechanics. Have changed the wheel bearing, CV joint and most recently the pads. Also tried swopping disc/rotor with a known good one and noise was still there. After each time the wheel was worked on, the noise would be gone for a day or 3, but then slowly it would return. Now eventually I have resorted to taping my phone to the inside of the wheel arch so that I can get some good video to post online, hopefully someone can give me some ideas.

Thanks in advance.
oceativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
jerryg2112
AF Regular

Re: Front wheel noise (Video included)

To me it looks like your rotor is running out. The squeak could be caused by contact with the pad every revolution. You said that you tried swapping rotors. How do you know that the swapped rotors are good? Maybe it's not a bad rotor but run out in the hub face or rust, dirt between the rotor and hub.

Last edited by jerryg2112; 07-28-2014 at 05:34 PM.
jerryg2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
kcducttaper
AF Newbie

Is it just me, or does the whole wheel seem to wobble a bit? If your whole wheel wobbles, it could be that your hub is slightly bent, or perhaps there is something stuck between your hub and the rotor so it's not sitting flat. As many times as the wheel has been off, I would think someone would have spotted a lumpy/crooked hub, but it's an easy thing to check to make sure.
kcducttaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:29 AM   #4
oceativa
AF Newbie

The wheel definitely seems to wobble in my opinion, especially looking at the tyre in the top right corner of the picture.

Something else I forgot to mention, one of the first things I did was swop the front and rear wheels to make sure its not something wrong with the rim.

I think the next thing Ill do is have someone take a proper look at whether the hub flange is bent/warped. The last mechanic said he checked it but who knows what that means.
oceativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
kcducttaper
AF Newbie

An easy way to do that if you've got a jack and jackstands is to jack up the front end of the car so the front wheels are off the ground and be absolutely sure to stick in on jackstands before doing anything else. Apply the parking brake just in case. Then, with the front wheels off the ground and the parking brake on, start the engine, put the car in drive, and take your foot off of the brake letting the front wheels spin while the engine is at idle. With the engine idling and the wheels turning, hop out and look at the wheels to see if either one of them is wobbling.

Please note that this will only work if the vehicle is front wheel drive only! If this is an AWD or rear wheel drive vehicle of any sort, DO NOT DO THIS as it could be very dangerous.
kcducttaper is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical