Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Joe V.
AF Newbie

Bplacesad paint

A little while back, I had my 1988 Vette repainted. Soon after that the paint started to blister in some places. He stated that it is due to oil in the original factor paint. Do you know if that is an inherent problem for that year? If he is full of bull, what most likely could have causd the problem?
Joe V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Joe V.
AF Newbie

Re: Bad paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V.
A little while back, I had my 1988 Vette repainted. Soon after that the paint started to blister in some places. He stated that it is due to oil in the original factor paint. Do you know if that is an inherent problem for that year? If he is full of bull, what most likely could have causd the problem?
I am .retired, plus I am a student. In adddition ,I am on a fixed income, hence my funds a very limited. I really can't afford to pay to have it repainted. Can you help me?
Joe V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Bplacesad paint

I would say he didn't do the job correctly. I would really press him to fix it free.
If he was aware of the problem he should have removed the old paint. Sanded it off primed it and then painted the car.
A good paint job is expensive. A friend is rebuilding a 1937 Ford pickup and paint alone is $200.00
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Re: Bplacesad paint

Ditto with rhandwor...if he knew of the "defect" he should have compensated for it. You don't mention where the blistering occurs, but a true factory paint contamination would be dispersed more or less over the entire body, and if it were oil contamination, I doubt it would have passed inspection for Corvettes. More common would be localized contamination...drips from various fluids onto the fenders, gas dripping onto the paint, etc., or aerosolized drops landing hither and yon. The car should have undergone a thorough wash and dry, sanding to remove the existing clearcoat, roughen the surface, and remove oxidation, air blow-off and tack cloth to remove dust and surface contaminants, then shoot it with the paint.

I'd bet his equipment wasn't completely cleaned out and purged with fresh paint prior to starting to paint the car. This could explain blistering or other defects on one section of the car where he started to paint...or continued after having to mix up more to finish the coat.

Of course, more info would help, but hope this helps!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette