Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 900
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Getawaydriver85
AF Newbie

89 Saab 900 Clutch job

I just had a great 89 saab 900 turbo (5 speed) given to me. The car has no problems except that it needs a clutch replacement. A shop quoted me over $700 for the job, and said the trans needs to be pulled to change the clutch. Other people have told me that it only takes a few hours and doesn't require the trans to come out. Im pretty mechanically inclined but don't have the ability to pull the engine or trans. Can anybody give me any more details on a clutch replacement?
Getawaydriver85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
ourbudd
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 89 Saab 900 Clutch job

I have an 86 900 and have done the clutch, if it is similar it should be pretty easy, on the front of the trans inline with the crank there was a cover that you remove and then the cover over the clutch, then I can't remember but how it is held in place but you will insert a bolt into some threads in the end of the shaft (radiator end) and pull it forward. Then remove the bolt and push it forward more to where it is out of the way. Then the clutch is generally pretty easy. One other thing that is tricky was you need to compress the clutch and they sell a ring to put inbetween the pressure plate frame and the fingers of the spring assy, I did not have the ring so I put a old spark plug wire in there and then released pedal and it left enough room for removal. I have done quite a few clutches in my days and this was the easiest. note: mine was harder because the slave cylinder was shot and I couldn't get the clutch to compress and ended up putting a grease fitting in and pumping it with a grease gun and when I did that I pushed it too far and couldn't get the cylinder to go back in but nothing a sawzall couldn't handle. Good luck.
ourbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
ourbudd
AF Newbie

Re: 89 Saab 900 Clutch job

I was just looking a little further into the posts and found a broken link but was able to get to this one which should help.

http://www.twinsaabs.com/900_repair/...o.asp?nsteps=5
ourbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
navygz19
AF Newbie

Re: 89 Saab 900 Clutch job

Check this link out...lot's of good info. to be found.

Also, clutch replacement does not require transmission removal. Most shops will say that because they really don't know how to get into a c900 in the first place.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/900old/c900clutchrepair.htm
navygz19 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 900