Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 900
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
ryswank789
AF Newbie

Question how do i change the starter

I have a 95 Saab 900 se v6 2.5L and the starter has
died.... so now i need some advice as to how
to go about changing it..
if anyone has any advice please let me know
i cant seem to find a good manual online
or any Q&A's on this subject.

ryan k
ryswank789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Mordac85
AF Newbie

Re: how do i change the starter

I just did this this spring on my son's 95 900SE. It's a real pain in the a$$, but it can be done. You need to do the obvious easy stuff first:
  1. Disconnect the battery negative
  2. Remove the battery cable from the starter and altenator. They're short and basically the same cable.
  3. Remove the ignition wire from the solenoid
  4. Bend that stupid support bar just behind the transaxle shaft out of the way
Now it get's frustrating, so take a deep breath. The starter/solenoid assembly is a single unit that is secured with a torx bolt. If you don't already have a set stop by the store and pick up a set of torx sockets. The lower bolt is easy cuz it's right in your face, however the other one is hidden by some seriously demented engineers. I had to use the socket on a 6" and 3" extension and use my pinky to guide it on the bolt head (cuz that was the only finger I could get in there). Then I had to remove the 3" extension to get my wrench on this. It's an exercise in patience for sure, but it can be done. I only took 45 min the first time (yes, I had to do this twice cuz I didn't see the nut was stripped the first time).

When you go to put it back I recommend using a small strip of duct tape to keep the bolt in the socket long enough for you to get it in there and started. There is a wiring harness that run through there so it's a tight fit and w/o the tape the bolt kept falling out for me before I could get it close to the hole.
Mordac85 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 900