Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Dealer Experiences
Dealer Experiences If you want to brag or complain about the deal or the service you got, this is the place.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
east72
AF Newbie

BMW, once you own it you hate it

I Purchased a used 528I w/26000 miles in May 2010 from savage bmw located in Ontario, ca. I had a “due bill” for some paint scratches to be removed, and returned two weeks later to have the work done. It took them two days, and when picked up my car it was filthy. I decided not to return to this dealership in the future. This is my wife's car and one week in October when she was out of town I drove it. I decided to take the car for a performance test drive to find out what the ultimate driving machine was all about. Well it was all about nothing. Around 85 mph there was a loud whistling sound somewhere in the cabin, and when I attempted to make a turn on the winding mountain road the wheels vibrated violently. I made an appointment at savage. I took the vehicle in on the 4th of November .on the 5th I was told that the whistling sound was a warped sun roof and some sort of solenoid needed to be replaced , and that the vibration was due to two bent rims, and it would cost me $350.00 dollars to have them straightened. I told the service advisor that the damage to the wheels had to occur before we purchased the car, since we only had the car for 5 months and my wife is only one who drives the car and is a very safe driver. The car performed ok when she drove it, I explained that we would of never known about these defects with the vehicles performance had I not drove the car .The service advisor told me the wheels, when placed on a high speed wheel balancer detected the damage. He told me he would have the service manager call me. When he did call he told me that they were not going to help in any way, and it would cost $350.00 to fix the problem. When I asked the service manager if during the 128 point inspection (most dealerships do this before they sale a used car) if they inspect the wheels, and he said yes. I asked if they removed the wheels and checked them for damage on the balancer, he said no. the service manager then told me that he went out to my car, looked at the wheels and could see the damaged. Now if that was the situation why would the car perform fine at normal speeds and the damage could only be detected on a high speed Balancer. It's obvious that the service manager is lying, and savage bmw sold me a car with damaged wheels and refuse to accept responsibility. I picked up the vehicle on the 7th and refused to sign the invoice, and refused to accept the car because there were scratches all over the front bumper. While I waited someone had to take the car to the body shop and buff the entire front bumper, which means paint loss. They did wash the car but there was some sort of white powder all over the black leather interior. This place is awful!! Oh by the way today I was driving the car home from savage bmw and at 75 mph the loud whistling sound has returned. I will certainly never return to savage (hopefully a move competent service department can solve these issues), and bmw vehicles will never find space in my garage again, once I dispose of this piece of junk. I prefer to call it” the ultimate driving headache.”
east72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Tapil
AF Newbie

Re: BMW, once you own it you hate it

sounds more like

Savage auto dealership: Once you buy from us, you hate us

Always after buying a new car, rush over to a auto repair shop and have em once over it.
Sory those jerk offs pulled a fast one on ya :/
Tapil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
HeavyJ
AF Regular

Once you buy it, rush and have it inspected? NO WAY! Take it to a trusted mechanic that you have made arrangements with to have it inspected BEFORE you sign anything.
HeavyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyJ View Post
Once you buy it, rush and have it inspected? NO WAY! Take it to a trusted mechanic that you have made arrangements with to have it inspected BEFORE you sign anything.
This is probably the best advice.

Unfortunately, a great deal of dealers are only out to make as much money as they can, especially now that the economy has tanked. I'm sure you could investigate Lemon Laws and how that might apply to your situation, but I suppose this is one of those "live and learn" situations.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
jon@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
Casadoma
AF Newbie

That's terrible, a friend of mine had a similar issue with his BMW with the whistling sound.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

BMW's are great cars, but any car can be damaged by neglect and abuse from a previous owner. It's all about upkeep and respect for your vehicle. With the price of vehicles nowadays believe me I treat mine well. Sorry dealerships now that is another story.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote