Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
george mulligan
AF Newbie

Intermittant Problem, now constant: hesitation/drop tach: 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan SE

Follow up question, to a really perplexing problem to 2 VERY GOOD MECHANICS.

BACKGROUND:
I owned the 1998 DODGE Grand Caravan SE SPORT since 8/04. It worked great.

* My VAN had occasional pick up hesitation & tachometer go lower @ the same time about 2 months after my Transmission Fluid drained on the Interstate a week after a flush, by a novice mechanic (who put a hose over a bolt, which blew).
(August 2005?) After about 10 days, it seemed 100%. (RELEVANCE?) (I have to find out if the WRONG Transmission fluid was used in either/both replacements)

* May 2005 (before that), I also had an "accident" needing front right fender & headlight turn assembly replaced, same side as computer.
(RELEVANCE? possible damage to a wire or the computer)

* I took to Very, very, good Mechanic @ a Muffle Shop, from my past experience:
* The mechanic thought it was vacuum leak of a "gasket" or Fuel Injector problem.
He Found 1 bank of fuel injectors was sucking air. He replaced those. The other bank of fuel injectors were OK.
Yet, 4 Miles later, engine light back on with hesitation more frequent than before, mostly up hill? NOW, IT WAS A FEW TIMES WORSE THAN THE INFREQUENT PROBLEM. But it was NOT horrible.

* I had to wait a month for diagnostic machine parts. When I bought it in, the Mechanic found wires BURNT OUT & he did FULL TUNE UP, which he quoted. It got worse.
* On his own, he replaced cam & crank sensor. He felt the replacement cam sensor was bad & replaced the replacement. Mechanic 1 did a thorough tracing of wiring. (In the past, he solved problems a few other Mechanics could not figure out)
The VAN problems got so much WORSE, he did not charge for sensors' replacements. NOW the hesitation was VERY, VERY, VERY SEVERE.

Mechanic 1, suggested I take to better detailed diagnostic machine.
He thought the problem might be the Van computer, which he was not equiped to follow up on, after changing it. I know him. He put a LOT of extra time. Great Guy!
THE HESITATION PROBLEM IS NOW SEVERE! It bucks constantly!!

* I didn't know the next Mechanic did NOT have a "Dealer quality Diagnostic Machine."

* Mechanic 2 (1 man operation, who works on high performance vehicles) also thought it might be the computer, too.
So, I bought a 2nd hand computer, which he installed. No difference!
Mechanic 2 got YES signal from crank & NO signal from cam Sensor.
He found the NEW replacement cam sensor seemed to have been forced in & the film (gap-per) still "partially" on the crank sensor.
So he ALSO replaced cam sensor, thinking the install was messed up, since the new cam sensor plastic exterior was chipped, as if it was forced in.
He didn't see lubricant on cam sensor gasket, either.

Both mechanics told me it was NOT a fuel filter or fuel issue, but an Electrical problem.

The VAN, Still RUNS VERY ROUGH, with very often hesitation. He spent a couple hours with a dozen diagnostics. He gave me printouts of about 10 pages.

Code readings:

* P 1391 Intermittent loss of CMP or CKP

* P 1495 Leak detection pump solenoid circuit

* He also found barometric pressure read 103, where it should have been 29.9.*

* Also the Spark plugs were almost pure white.

* His computer program for diagnostic showed there is a TCM
(Transmission Control Module), which is part of the Cam sensor.

* The next day, a parts store called it a “Transmission Control Solenoid.”

As a way to trigger responses from viewers who may have had a similar experience by seeing ONE of the QUESTIONS from ALL of the QUESTIONS I can come up with:

Whereas the loss of almost all transmission fluid 2 MONTHS prior to problem occurring is a mechanical problem.

* Is it now possible that it had an effect on the TCM, which is a part of the cam sensor?

* It is also possible the accident loosened a wire, which could cause problems?

* Could problems with SOLENOIDS cause this type of hesitation?

* Was the wrong Transmission Fluid used to replace the Transmission Flush and / or the
Subsequent replacement, when the hose popped & Fluid drained out on the Interstate?
  • A chat room claims the wrong fluid wears down the Transmission?
  • What is the effect on the Transmission if the wrong Fluid is used?
  • What is the effect on solenoids, if the wrong Fluid is used?
  • What is the effect on cam or crank sensors, if the wrong Fluid is used?
  • Can the wrong Fluid cause a wire Burn out?
  • Can the wrong Fluid cause a Fuel Injector Bank to suck air?
  • What sensors or solenoids would cause a Fuel Injector problem?
  • What sensors or solenoids could cause a "wire burn out?"
  • Counld a wire burn out between the engine & body, at the back of the engine, short any of the above?
  • Why or how would/could replacing "burn out wiring" cause an intermittent problem to become a constant problem and/or trigger problems in cam & crank sensors as well as possible solenoid problems?
Mechanic 2 strongly suggests going to DODGE DEALER & let them DIAGNOSE & also REPAIR.
* I was going to do so 1/23//06, until I read about wrong Transmission Fluid.

Both Mechanic 1 & 2 feel it is a ghost problem. It may be in the wiring (& explained the Harness is the entire wiring pattern); OR a problem with the FLY WHEEL; OR TIMING PROBLEM, which is part of the cam sensor.
The diagnostic reading on the Solenoid & TCM are 2 added questions.

* Mechanic 1 is at a Muffler shop CHAIN, but one of the best mechanics I have come across & really decent person. They have so many locations, they don't have diagnostic parts to replace problem machines. He is short handed.

* Mechanic 2 is 1 man operation. He does high performance vehicles, race cars, boats, etc. He gave me about 10 pages of printouts explaining each above issues, with diagrams, from his $ 10,000 program.

* Both mechanics put more time in the VAN than they charged, as both felt bad the VAN is running really bad. Before the transmission flush, even with the accident it ran good.
(After the flush where the fluid drained out, it ran rough for about 10 days.
Then it settled in OK. Within 2 months, problems started.)
(One chat room claims his 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan SE has a transmission leak with right hand turns, but not when the wheel is straight. I had initial hesitation problems after
a right hand turn, immediately after a very brief, steep drop.)

But about 2 months later, there may be a problem with the TCM, which may have caused about $ 900 cost parts & labor, so far, from related problems.

If it is a transmission related problem, and if it was caused by a faulty Transmission flush, the Muffler Shop Chain Mechanic will stand behind the problem.

I am not looking to take advantage of any one, yet my VAN is worthless on trade in, now, where it is worth $ 4k to $ 8,000 depending on trade in or MAYBE retail?

Thank you for your help, feedback, and consideration.

George Mulligan -
Stratford CT.
georgeemcom@yahoo.com

Last edited by george mulligan; 01-24-2006 at 12:18 PM.
george mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
directory
AF Enthusiast

Re: Intermittant Problem, now constant: hesitation/drop tach: 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan SE

you may want to go to the dodge forum for a more informed remedy. plus you'll get more exposure.

have a look:dodge forum--pick your specific vehicle from the list

SKYWARN

we be clubbin'

--B
directory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
charleyhorse
AF Newbie

Re: Intermittant Problem, now constant: hesitation/drop tach: 1998 Dodge Grand Carava

I recently fixed my boss' wife's caravan which had the same trouble codes and symptoms as yours. After having the trans replaced twice because they're absolute junk, they started having the symptoms you're having, with the addition of dash lights and gagues gone haywire! The tranny tech bumped the harness to the Leak Detection Pump (on sub-frame under driver's side, just behind the trans.) and slightly loosened the wht/blk wire coming out of the terminal at the sensor. This caused a short circuit in the LDP bundle to send excessive voltage back to the PCM (engine computer), fouling all sorts of sensors, causing false codes in the PCM, and screwing up timing and air/fuel ratios so bad it was detonationg like crazy and "whitening" the spark plugs. Have your tech check for contiuity and voltage in the LDP soleniod circuit. You'll probably have to get a new LDP solenoid and/or pump and PCM 'cause the short should have cooked them both. Great engineering, huh? On a side note, do some research and you'll be surprised how many class action suits and lemon law buy-backs against DaimlerChryslerDCJ are pending due to this exact issue, as well as transmissions repeatedly failing after 30,000 miles of grocery-getting and other mild use. It's not uncommon for these tranny cases to crack and become completely separated from the motor at highway speeds, or puke their gears and guts all over the highway at 70 mph! Hope this helps, and good luck!

RB
ASE certified 17 year backyard mechanic with a near-flawless diagnotsic record,
Placerville, CA
charleyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: Intermittant Problem, now constant: hesitation/drop tach: 1998 Dodge Grand Carava

charleyhorse - Welcome to the forum. We can sure use your experience. Your info may help someone but probably not the threads' author. He posted his problem Jan 2006. I would imagine he had it fixed years ago. Gotta watch those dates.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager