Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Lucerne
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
mcmlxv
AF Newbie

Lucerne Opinion from a Former Park Ave Owner

In July of 2012, I traded my beloved 2001 Park Avenue for a 19,000 mile 2008 Lucerne CXL. One year and 15,000 miles later, here are my observations. I hope this helps those who are considering moving out of older Parks and LeSabres into the Lucerne.

1. The entire car has been cheapened and decontented:

A. The gauge of the sheet metal has been reduced. The panels dent very easily, and the roof buckles loudly when a car wash dryer blows on it.

B. The door handles flex and creak and feel like they're about to tear out of their mounts. Search the internet and you'll see that's exactly what they do.

C. The doors are thinner and lighter and feel cheap when they close. Also, the driver's door armrest is beginning to flex and make a popping noise when pulling closed. And the rear door panels make a constant rubbing noise, even over small bumps. I have to lubricate the inner edges where they meet the metal to eliminate the noise.

D. The paint on the front bumper is chipping badly from road debris. I don't do much highway driving.

E. The headliner just behind the sunroof came unglued and dropped an inch. Until I repaired it, it billowed and eventually creased in the center as the incoming air rushed in when the roof was open. Also, the headliner is unfinished at the windshield header.

F. The driver's side vanity mirror cover came off in my hand. The tiny plastic pin that secures the lid to the hinge sheared off. It's hardly used.

G. The Lucerne is missing the little touches that I loved in the PA: Underhood light, door courtesy/warning lights, large side repeating signals (instead of a glaring, single exposed bulb), 3 way sunvisors, illuminated ashtray, coin holder not lined in velour (!?), a Homelink transmitter that I could actually program, individualized memory remotes for 2 people, English labels (not cryptic symbols) on the switchgear, that cool personal compartment built into the rear armrest, articulating headrests, HUD, rear ashtrays/lighters, carpeted lower doors, electric fuel door release, rigid map pockets in the seat backs (not a cheap flap), etc.

H. I love the XM radio and CD changer, but the sound quality is terrible. The Park Ave's system blows the Lucerne's away. Bass is hollow and weak. Also, no Bluetooth until '09.

I. The Rainsense wipers are erratic and slow to respond. The PA's were much more responsive.

J. No hood ornament!

Conclusion: The Park Avenue had none of these problems. The Lucerne contains a lot of cheap materials, and is missing some of the little touches that I liked.

2. The Lucerne's design compromises comfort:

A. I must duck my head in order to get into and out of the car. I'm 6'0".

B. The visibility is awful, as the thick A and C pillars and the gigantic headrests block vision significantly.

C. The center console (this is not a bench seat car) armrest is thinly padded, and because of its short length, causes my arm to go numb.

D. The roof is very low. Granted, this is partly the fault of the sunroof.

E. The 5-postion tilt wheel is 2 positions short and blocks the gauges. With the wheel in the middle position, the gauges are blocked. If I bring the wheel and power seat up, I feel like I'm driving a bus, and my head hits the ceiling. Also, the wheel does not telescope.

F. I cannot see the front corners of the car.

G. I feel like I'm submerged in a bathtub. The door sills are so high they come up to my shoulder. I cannot drive with my arm on the sill. I must come up out of the seat to operate the keyboard at the drive up ATM, and even then I can barely reach the buttons. The back seat is even worse.

Conclusion: The Lucerne is a very attractive car that hurts to use.

3. The Lucerne's performance is a mixed bag:

A. Who doesn't love the 3800? The plastic plenum is now aluminum, and the emissions are lower. But fuel economy is significantly less, and horsepower has been reduced. Around town performance is acceptable, but the engine runs out of breath sooner than the PA. It might have to do with the tall overdrive. The transmission is smooth, but reluctant to downshift.

B. The car has the turning radius of a late 50's car. The steering is strange: take your eyes off the road for a moment and you're halfway into the other lane. Cornering is actually good for a front wheel drive boat.

C. Braking is mediocre. The pedal requires more effort than I'd like. Distances feel long.

D. The ride is schizophrenic: Smooth on good pavement, no highway float. The moment the roads deteriorate, the ride becomes harsh. The front end is low and possesses a clunkiness that the PA didn't have. Suspension travel is limited, and the car bottoms very easily. The rear is better, but fairly stiff.

Conclusion: The Lucerne's performance is compromised by a lack of power, weak brakes, and a stiff and clunky suspension.

4. The Lucerne has a reputation for reliability. Here's my experience:

A. A taillight bulb burned out.

B. My transmission sometimes whines loudly and then begins to shift harshly. Common problem that's never been addressed by GM.

C. Had to replace a front motor mount at 35K. Tech said it had "collapsed".

D. My intermediate steering shaft is clunking. Common problem that's never been addressed by GM.

E. I'm now noticing a rumbling noise in the left front wheel when braking from highway speeds. Tech says brakes are fine. Hub bearing? Common problem that's never been addressed by GM.

F. Sunroof makes a loud cracking noise when opening with the windows shut. Lubrication doesn't help.

G. Wanted to buy a V8, but Northstar Lucernes are leakers. Common problem that's never been addressed by GM.

Conclusion: The Lucerne is no Park Avenue. It acts and feels like an Impala. It's an attractive but overstyled car hampered by cheap materials, mediocre performance, and GM indifference. I'm looking to trade this car sooner than later. Buick does not offer anything in this segment anymore, so I'll be looking at alternatives. Chrysler 300 anyone?

Thanks for reading.
012620 (05-22-2016)
Old 09-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
polarzak
AF Regular

Re: Lucerne Opinion from a Former Park Ave Owner

You may have read my post from a few years ago titled "The Lucerne is no Buick" I traded my beloved 2000 LeSabre in for a new 06 Lucerne.
Right off the lot a the bottom trim fell off, the headliner drooped, and the truck wouldn't open.

During the next eight or so months the car was back at the dealer for warranty work so many time that the techs joked I had my own dedicated bay.

New battery
new intermediate steering shaft
new steering rack
new struts
loose transmission cover plate
and a hundred other things I cannot remember, all thankfully repaired under warrenty. Initially I hated the car, however now I love it. No issues for years, the car has 150k miles on it. I wanted to trade it for a new 2013 Lucerne but alas they stopped making them in 2011. So I went an bought a new 2013 all loaded up Ford Taurus...now there is a sh!Tbox. Thankfully I kept the Lucerne and traded my wife's car for the Ford.

Depending on which version Lucerne you have, my CXL has most of, and sometimes more of the amenities my LeSaber had The only thing I really miss is the HUD. MY 6 CD Harmon Kardon stereo is is much better than the LeSabra, so again, I love it now.

Never looked at the Chrysler 300, but for gods sake stay away from the Ford Tauras. OR (as I call it Tornass) Mine is the loaded model, all bells and whistles, all voice command, nifty lights, Nav/Backup Camera, AWD, etc etc, but all it is a pig with lipstick. Take away all the bling, and it ride like a noisy Ford pickup truck from the 50s. Rough and noisy. Nice LOOKING Car but ride like crap.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Maybe this was a "Monday morning" Lucerne?

I never got it.....Lucerne.....why not just call it a redesigned LeSabre.....because they were trying to pass it off as a hybrid PA/LeSabre, that replaced both cars?

I thought the car looked sharp...then one day, a customer came in because his RF directional bulb wasn't working......it was 15 minutes to closing and the SM manager said sure we can replace it......45 minutes later, and we still don't have the bulb in, and the customer had to come back the next day....to replace a directional bulb, the car had to go up on a lift, had to access retainers in the wheel well and front bumper.....I think GM gave something like 0.8 for a freakin' bulb, but until you did one, it took longer.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
polarzak
AF Regular

I agree Tech II . I replaced my own burnt bulb and pretty well the whole front end need to come off, plus the wheel welds. Once you love them, like the mistress, one will do anything to keep them happy.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Lucerne